Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd give it a thread here. A few years ago, my uncle and I were watching Mythbusters at about 4 am on the fourth of July when we got on the subject of classic cars. I said how I thought it would be cool to restore one, and he said he would buy something for me. I didn't think much of it, he has a lot of money, but I didn't think he would actually buy me a car. I casually looked at few cars, a Fairlane and a couple Mustangs, but I was mostly dreaming. Until about a month after we first talked about it, I got a phone call, and all I heard when I answered it was "I bought you a car." I freaked out. he said "Where do you want it? I'm having it delivered to you tomorrow." So I had it brought to my grandpa's service shop where I have done all the work to it. So here is what I have done:

-Tore it apart. Put it on jack stands ripped out the nasty, old, faded, brown carpet, took the seats out, removed all the glass.
-Took the rear brakes off. Fronts were frozen (the only reason it wasn't drivable when I got it) so I cut them off with a torch.
-Replaced leaking carb
-replaced valve cover gaskets
-replaced valve covers
-painted/cleaned the motor
-replaced all brakes
-added power brakes
-removed body molding/trim (fake vents, and chrome trim along the bottom of the doors) and welded up the holes
-removed the bumpers, and grille
-Welded in new floor pans to replace the rusty ones (only place with rust in the whole car!) first time ever welding, and I didn't too bad....actually got compliments from the body/paint guys on it being a first time job!
-New brake lines throughout the car
-resealed fuel tank
-painted wheel wells and floors and trunk with rust resisting paint

That's about all I did to it...it runs great. And ran when my uncle bought it. So my uncle bought me a new interior (Literally everything for the interior) and had it sent off to the body shop to have a COMPLETE realignment of ALL the body panels and tons of little dings and dents fixed and to be painted. Nine months and almost $8000 later I got it back from them. And it's beautiful.

Better than when I got it! lol

That's where it was sitting when he bought it.

My parents just bought me new rims yesterday for Christmas. These to be exact:

Not a great picture.

I can't wait to get them on! Got a sweet deal on a set of 5 rims (came from a 1967 Mercury Cougar XR7) with brand new Mastercraft tires. :D

It still needs a bit of suspension work and the interior put in and it will be done.

More pics here: My 1966 Mustang pictures by jrodigan5 - Photobucket

A HUGE thanks goes out to my uncle for making this happen. It has been such a great experience and so rewarding to see a car come to life. I will keep this thread going with progress and pictures as they come. Comments welcome and appreciated! :D

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have too. And I love old pickup trucks! Restoring a car is something that all car lovers really need to do at some point. Your love for cars goes up 100%. lol

·
Registered
913 Posts
Mustang

Nice job J! Love them old Fords. Did a '64 T-Bird in just about the same shape. No rust (Ca car), but exhaust, oil, and coolant leaks galore. Pulled the engine and went all through it, then detailed the engine bay. It wasn't a muscle car, but man, would it light up them tires on dry pavement with it's 427 ft/lbs(stock) of torque. Is that a 260, 289, or HiPo 271HP? They did OK with a small block engine, being so light and all. There's something about cruising in an old car with the Doors on the radio that transports you back to when life was less complicated. You see, I was 15 when your Mustang was new. I always wanted one. Nice car!

Car Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Personal luxury car
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood Window
Wheel Automotive parking light Car Tire Vehicle

Then there's the new 412HP GT:2011 BMW M3 Coupe vs. 2011 Ford Mustang GT Comparison - Motor Trend

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great Job! It doesn't look too bad to begin with, but now looks great!

Interesting to see it on wheel ramps on the street, I wonder how long it sat like that!
Long enough that one of ramps bent! lol I've gotten various stories about the car, but I think it sat there for about 5 years. Looks as if someone tired a restoration at some point, but never finished it.
Nice job J! Love them old Fords. Did a '64 T-Bird in just about the same shape. No rust (Ca car), but exhaust, oil, and coolant leaks galore. Pulled the engine and went all through it, then detailed the engine bay. It wasn't a muscle car, but man, would it light up them tires on dry pavement with it's 427 ft/lbs(stock) of torque. Is that a 260, 289, or HiPo 271HP? They did OK with a small block engine, being so light and all. There's something about cruising in an old car with the Doors on the radio that transports you back to when life was less complicated. You see, I was 15 when your Mustang was new. I always wanted one. Nice car!

View attachment 6671 View attachment 6672 View attachment 6673

Then there's the new 412HP GT:2011 BMW M3 Coupe vs. 2011 Ford Mustang GT Comparison - Motor Trend
Thanks! Nice car! Mine is a 289. I have some performance upgrades in mind for the future. (Ceramic headers, high-rise manifold, dual exhaust, stuff like that) That'll be far in the future because it's big $$$. A friend of my grandpa's did that to his '64 Comet and it's sweet.

I can't wait to get it out on the weekends in the summer and just drive all day. :cool:

Here's the car I got the rims from:

The same guy that owns the Comet owns this. That car will be insane. It's getting a fully modern suspension, huge brakes (the only reason he sold the rims; they won't fit over the brakes) and some serious power.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Love those old 'stangs! Nice work too.

When I was 20 I had the chance to get a '67 fastback. It was red with red pony interior. The guy only wanted $1000 for it. Being 20 and a broke college student, I couldn't raise the cash. Still regret it to this day. Wish I had a rich and generous uncle. :)

·
Super Moderator
6,731 Posts
^^That is hot! Very nice. Is it getting the performance bits to back up the looks?
Yeah, its a slow process. The car is an original 390 GT with a top loader. While it wont have the exact Eleanor motor for a while, the 390 should suffice for now. He is trying to save up for the $12,000 total control coil over setup from the movie cars. Being 23 in grad school is expensive...

He has the tires, no wheels yet. It's mini-tubbed to fit 11" wheels as well.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
That is smokin' hot. I hope he plans to put it on a modern suspension as well. There is a company down in AZ or NV someplace that custom builds those cars. It's nice to see a DIY job come out so nice.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
That's fantastic! Congrats and great job so far.
This is the kind of thing I wish some rich uncle did for me when I was younger.
Eventually I will get the money/time to do it myself.
But I would do a mild restomod on the car. 17" torq thrusts and air-ride would be my choice of mods. And a 302 carbed with a tremec 6 spd. And a full complement of bracing, and modern disk brakes. And...

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks! I got my wheels put on today!

I really like them! I haven't lowered the car from the stand yet because I have a problem with rubbing on the passenger side front tire touching part of the suspension. The rest aren't rubbing anywhere. Sorry for the pictures, my garage is tiny, and it was really dark in there (enhanced by my Cannon SLR).

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
That's fantastic! Congrats and great job so far.
This is the kind of thing I wish some rich uncle did for me when I was younger.
Eventually I will get the money/time to do it myself.
But I would do a mild restomod on the car. 17" torq thrusts and air-ride would be my choice of mods. And a 302 carbed with a tremec 6 spd. And a full complement of bracing, and modern disk brakes. And...

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Small update

Fixed the rubbing with the wheels and it's drivable now. Still no interior though. lol Still trying to get up the money to do it. It'll be $450 to have the seats upholstered and new foam. Need to get some dynamat type material to go in before I put down the new carpet. What's a good cheaper alternative?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts