Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you guys getting fuel mileage wise on your staged saabs?
Mine is a stage 4 ng 3 door, cruising 70-75 on the highway im only getting 26mpg
I purposely keep boost low to save on fuel but that's the best i can get.
I run premium fuel also.

Im thinking my o2 sensor might be bad but i have no cel.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Stage 2, ish 1995 900SET, 33mpg highway at 70mph

Stage 0 NA 900, 32mpg highway at 70mph

Both driving conservatively, both on premium.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Yes but a little flaw in that logic is that if you live in a place you go down the hill one moment and up the hill the a minute after that and it all comes out in the wash. True a slower county road with lots of throttle changes in curves will cost you much more than Interstates but much of it averages out. I can see it on my Volvo that has a setting for much more "real time" and the numbers will be like 49.5 and then up the hill go suffer at 16.2.

When you drive a truck you can see massive differences on windy days.

Interesting numbers on the highway for that ng. I have a "Stage ?" ... with Maptun I guess it would be a Stage 1 or BSR .. same thing .. it is a factory 280 horse auto and highway I get only about 23 to 24. My base Corvette got a solid 31 at 70/74 on the Interstate with a 6 speed manual.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Hilly places consume more than flat places.
The theory that the ups and downs balance out is nonsense.
Get up to cruising speed as much as possible. Not hard accelerating, but don't just wander up to 70mph. This slow accelerating up to the target cruising speed robs you of better mpg. You want to be at steady cruising as much time as possible.
60mph is much more efficient than 70mph. But your gearing has a lot to do with this. If the difference in revs between 60 and 70 is practically nothing, then 70 will work better for mpg. Its rare though, since coasting at 60 is a lot easier than coasting at 70. The wind resistance is like 50% higher for just 60 vs 70.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I get 34 US MPG in my Saab :D well ok only if I do 100kph (about 60mph) if I do the max speed limit here (130kph->80 mph) then I get about 24 MPG.

1994 NG900S B206i NA with 276,600km (171,871mi)

Oh BTW what REVS are you guys turning at cruising speed??? At 80 MPH I am turning over 3500K I think. Will look later to be sure.

it is a factory 280 horse auto and highway I get only about 23 to 24.
I want that!!! :( :( Only 133hp here :(

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
at 70mph my rpm's are around 2900
So i guess my fuel consumption is about average then, could you have a bad o2 sensor with no cel on?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I get mpg in the low 30's in my stg 3+ viggen at highway speeds, usually 22-24 combined city/highway averaging 25 ish mph according to the sid

I think Auto's get a few mpg less

with hills vs flat road MPH on my last 2 trips to Key west in the RV pulling a jeep traveling from Ohio to FL I would get 6.5-7.0 mpg in FL & 7.3-7.9 MPG in the KY/TN mountains. If you drive properly & use the hills to push you down the mountain you will get better MPG however going up I am a moving chicane. VS FL where the only elevation change was overpasses which slowls me down a few mph going up but the descent is to short on the other side. If I used cruise in either situation I would probably be getting 5.something mpg

·
7,595 Posts
A bad o2 sensor will not always illuminate a CEL. If there is signal from it, there will be no CEL however the signal received may not be totally accurate if the sensor is very old. If you replace the unit and it was a problem you might pick up an MPG or 2. The old recommendation from Bosch was to replace the o2 sensor every 30,000 miles - however that was for the old unheated type sensors. In theory, the heated (3-wire) sensors which your car has could last the life of the car. I don't know how often or even if there is a recommended replacement interval on those.

Of note is that the output signal voltage of the o2 sensor is from 0 to 1 volt. You do not want to use a "universal" o2 sensor, get the one with the correct plug and wire length for your application. Any sort of connection made between the new "universal" sensor and the original wiring may skew the 0-1V signal due to some unintended resistance in the connection, which might leave you worse off than before the o2 sensor replacement.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Also, if one has a 3" dp, that will help efficiency too. So if your car is tuned, but still on stock exhaust, that might be part of it.

My auto 900 SE, with no power mods aside from a cross-flow intercooler, gets about 29mpg highway usually. That is with me taking every on ramp like I was being chased too. Although basically all my sensors except for the o2 sensors, are new, which might help. It makes me laugh when I see car companies talking about how their new $40k car gets the same mpg. Pretty sad for them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts