Saab Link Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have an MP Performance Steering clamp?

Check the rubber bushing under the clamp. It may slide out, causing your bolts to begin loosening. Luckily we noticed mine during some minor checks on my car. I'm trying to reach Chris from MP Performance to discuss some options.

Although I like his inovative solutions for saving me money, and believe Chris will stand behind his products.., this may need some design work to make it truely hi-performance or a more durable product.

Be careful SAABers....

regards

·
Registered
546 Posts
This problem has happened on a few of the MP clamps. The epoxy holding on the rubber bushing was not standing up to the stress. Since the problem first appeared a better and much stronger epoxy has been used to keep the rubber bushing from sliding out. You will receive a new clamp with the improved epoxy. Unfortunately Chris is very busy this week and is a little behind on emails, but send me your information and I will get in contact with him.

Eric
MP Performance

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Eric,

I PM'd you with my information. Any idea if there will be a mechanical fix for this problem? Seems like something like a guide on either side of the clamp would also suffice to some degree.

I ask because I have an LSD installed and essentially will double the stress on the clamp.

thanks

regards

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Can't beat the cost of the MP clamp, and aside from the minor slippage problem I haven't heard any real deal-breaker issues....

Here's what I plan to do with my clamp: Strip off the two ruber pieces. Find about two inches of thin-walled vinyl tubing about the same ID as the OD of the steering rack, or maybe a bit smaller. Slit the tubing lengthwise to cover the rack, then mount the brace. There wouldn't be any danger of slippage, and all you'd have to do is tighten the nuts every couple of months until the vinyl compressed to its max..

Total upgrade cost: about a quarter.

·
Registered
127 Posts
DC_SAAB said:
thanks Eric,
I ask because I have an LSD installed and essentially will double the stress on the clamp.
What's an LSD?

And, while I'm at it, what the hell does WOT stand for?? I hate it when I can't figure stuff out..

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
LSD is a limited slip differential, which enables faster cornering....

WOT is wide open throttle, essentially "flooring it..." 8)

·
Registered
546 Posts
DC_SAAB said:
Any idea if there will be a mechanical fix for this problem? Seems like something like a guide on either side of the clamp would also suffice to some degree.
A guide might be a possible solution, but the design needs to be careful not to cause any stress concentrations at the edge of the clamp. A problem with the Abbott steering clamp is it provides too much clamping force and can cause the steering column to crack. The MP brace is designed with the rubber bushing to evenly distribute the load.

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
ERP said:
A problem with the Abbott steering clamp is it provides too much clamping force and can cause the steering column to crank.
to crank? i have heard the Abbott clamp makes lots of rattling sounds that get terribly annoying.

Or was that a typo, did you mean crack? :shock: That would be even worse.

for $529 the Abbott clamp should come with a free insurance policy.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Sorry about the typo - I've fixed it now.

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
ERP said:
Sorry about the typo - I've fixed it now.
:shock: :shock:

I hoped it was not crack. YIKES.

Does anyone here have the KIC kit? any cracking on that one?

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I have the KIC brace on a few of our shop cars here. Also on my personal viggen that sees quite a bit of abuse both on and off the track. No problems with noise or any rubber bits coming loose... :wink: There are also many customer cars with the same perfect record.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea Nick...

Sounds great but having to wait 3 weeks for parts that you buy from someone else kinda puts a damper on things too. Have you addressed your supply and demand issues or started fabricating your own parts yet? A lot of your parts seem to come from other suppliers/distributors hence boosting your cost to us and taking more time to get.

You might find that many would buy more from you when you find a way to produce the product locally, thus lowering your cost and ours. You could produce more for less than you are buying from other distributors of the same product.

Chris of MP will generally bend over backwards, but has limited help to do so..., so although this particular product needs some work...your implication of having a better product only throws salt on a wound when you can't seem to meet the demand. Although I'm sure every vendor wants their product to be noticed, I don't think its fair to pick on a guy that tries to help solve our problems for less.

Since we are putting it out there....

Your strengths:
Test your products on similar vehicles
Stand behind them
Always available for discussion
Source for SAAB parts, and know your stuff
Web site with facts, and automation.

Your weaknesses:
Pick on smaller vendors
Push products you buy from others
can't meet supply and demand
don't produce your own parts.
complain when people think your pricing a little high without trying to find
a solution.

I like your company a lot Nick, but I'm not sure your comments were necessary. Now what if you simply teamed up with MP? What if you found a way to enhance his product ...to beat the cost of what you sell now. Both of you have resources the other needs, ...you might find you'd have more business. Of course you could always go back to throwing those body blows occasionally.

just a thought...

regards...

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I am glad you have such a thorough understanding of my company.. :lol: The rack braces will be shipping Tuesday. There has been a great demand lately. We develop and manufacture quite a few parts in house.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
I stand by both Genuine Saab and MP Performance as well as our other vendors for their products and customer service.

As a general note, The Saab Link will not be affiliated with ANY company that does not maintain a high level of customer satisfaction and reliability in their parts. So please understand and realize that the companies being represented on this site are excellent reputable companies.

Every company has room for improvement and they are certainly aware of that fact. No large or small company is exempt from that.

Since this situation has been resolved, I will lock this thread.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.