Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woah, check out MPPerformance's site. They're showing an adjustable short shifter conversion now! What the heck ever happened to the turbo delivery pipe??? I thought that was coming out next, not that I'm complaining :D

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Yea this is next on my list. Unfortunately, the plastic peice that holds the ball into place broke :(

·
Registered
546 Posts
I'll have a write up on it and installation instructions very soon.
Eric

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, what's up with the install on this? I've seen Eric's DIY one, and it looks like it would be a bitch to do.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
It'll be easier since you don't have to modify anything, but regardless you'll have to dismantle your center console. But its definately worth having a short shifter.

Its amazing how much better the shifting is, not to mention that you can burn out through second if u wish ;)

·
Registered
546 Posts
supergreg said:
yeah, what's up with the install on this? I've seen Eric's DIY one, and it looks like it would be a bitch to do.
Install for the MP shifter wont be anything like the hack DIY I made. It will be a lot easier.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Looks nice.

2 quick questions,

Is the reverse lockout defeated? It appears so. But it does have some range of adjustment.

Does the stock reverse sleve / boot holder still work?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Nick,

On the MP Performance site he mentions that with a 1/4" adjustment you still have full factory lockout, etc. This setting knocks off about 2" of throw. If you remove the lockout then you can adjust the throw do whatever extent you want.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ERP said:
supergreg said:
Install for the MP shifter wont be anything like the hack DIY I made. It will be a lot easier.
Eric, do you have to take out the seats to get at the center console properly? I don't suppose you can just pop off the shifter boot and swap the stick...hehe if it were that easy, everyone would have a short shifter right?

·
Registered
546 Posts
No, the seats stay in thankfully. Removing the center consol is not hard. It’d rate changing the shifter as a medium-easy job. Reaching some of the bolts are tough but that’s it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ERP said:
No, the seats stay in thankfully. Removing the center consol is not hard. It'd rate changing the shifter as a medium-easy job. Reaching some of the bolts are tough but that's it.
Well as long it doesn't require any special Saab tools...I just installed the Saab front lip spoiler on my car this weekend and the instructions actually said to use "Saab part #XYZ123" to punch little slots in my bumper. Lucky a friggen utility knife does the same thing :roll:

But on a serious note...are there ANY downsides to doing this type of short shift mod? Does it put any extra stress on the gear box or linkage or anything?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have MP's short shifter in my car, works well. I'm at the limit, but still have reverse lockout.

The throw isn't super short now or anything but a very noticeable difference.

I have a prototype, not sure if the production version is much different though.

-Steve

·
Registered
546 Posts
I get mine tomorrow. The install instructions will be on the MP site soon.
Eric

1 - 16 of 16 Posts