Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We dyno'd the 3" downpipe with high flow cat today on our 2000 9-3 Base T7 and I was a bit surprised by the results. The gains were the same or better than the 3" downpipe without cat. Did three pulls and all were the same. The 3" downpipe with cat produced huge torque gains in the mid range. Spool up was quick and top end remained strong. I'm not completely sure why the 3" downpipe with high flow cat produced more gains than the 3" downpipe without cat, but I am happy to see it. The catalytic converter is better for the environment and keeps the check engine light from coming on.

Cost: $399

www.mpperformance.com

Eric
MP Performance, LLC

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Now when will they make a "downpipe" per say, for the non-turbo edition Saabs. Like just a tube from the manifold with a sport cat on it. I would be interested. Or how about just a high-flow cat edition?

Oh and those numbers are great. Nice to see some solid evidence around here :D

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
i belive this has something to do with the extra heat that is produced with the cat installed, i bet the catless DP would be even more effective if it was wrapped to hold in the exhaust heat. i remember this descussion coming up on the c900 performance board a while back over on SC, seems that with no cat you loose some of the low down tourque but you gain it in the top end. Might be something to think about.

Paul

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Paul, I've heard the same thing too...the cat core is designed to get hot and stay hot, and helps evacuate the exhaust gasses....

Either way: Great work, Eric and Chris....This is going to be another fine addition to your growing product line....

·
Registered
745 Posts
that's some pretty good HP/Torque increases...and sort of counters what Vigge mentioned about t7's. But I'd think it was more to do with back pressure needed by this size turbo setup.

Although Vigge mentioned that the t7's have the ability to increase boost with temp increases from the environment...a temp difference of about 2-3 degrees to get that kind of hp/torque just seems unlikely, but who knows.

As an Engineer, I'd ask the following questions to be more conclusive...how long were each of the setups installed for....stock, catless, cat, and was the ECU was reset on every test?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The dyno is ~70 miles away, mostly highways. We installed the downpipe and got some good accelerations and lots of cruising in before the dyno. The ECU was not reset.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
The HP gains don't seem odd to me since on any normal car you would expect the same results. Is it possible that the since the Viggen uses a T7 and the LPT turbo's use the T7 that just maybe the SAAB engineers have designed the ECU to work anywhere in the range of that 154HP to 230HP?? It would make sense that they would give an acceptable range of operation and that it would not be 100% rigid and to the exact HP number that your car came with. Like I have said in other posts that Ricot's car is a perfect example of a T7 that is allowing for more HP than what the factory say's should be allowed. I am just glad to see companies like MPPerformance Dyno proving the same things that we have all be going back and forth about and that the results are great!!!

Look forward to seeing some other dyno charts for your products Eric!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
does it make sense to assume that this may add even more whp to a car that is a bit more modded such as mine,i have stage3+ hardware installed once i have this dp, and its also been shown that the car adds more hp sooner over stock power would this b an issue wiht an automatic?

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Those Aisin-Warner trannies are pretty bulletproof, but a flush and fill probably couldn't hurt. I haven't heard of anyone having problems, but then again, I haven't heard of too many heavily modded autoboxes....

Rico, you'll likely be breaking some new ground, unless you can find some folks in Sweden who've done similar things. I haven't seen anything on Saabnet.....

·
Registered
745 Posts
stevehayes01 said:
The HP gains don't seem odd to me since on any normal car you would expect the same results. Is it possible that the since the Viggen uses a T7 and the LPT turbo's use the T7 that just maybe the SAAB engineers have designed the ECU to work anywhere in the range of that 154HP to 230HP?? It would make sense that they would give an acceptable range of operation and that it would not be 100% rigid and to the exact HP number that your car came with. Like I have said in other posts that Ricot's car is a perfect example of a T7 that is allowing for more HP than what the factory say's should be allowed. I am just glad to see companies like MPPerformance Dyno proving the same things that we have all be going back and forth about and that the results are great!!!

Look forward to seeing some other dyno charts for your products Eric!
Good thoughts.., but I was referring to the gain in the comparison of a dp with a cat versus the dp without one. I thought the test proved the dp with the cat provides better numbers... , and now that I reread the test print out...Eric is referring to the Stock one, not the 3" without cat...having the lower result. It thru me off...

ERP said:
. I'm not completely sure why the 3" downpipe with high flow cat produced more gains than the 3" downpipe without cat, but I am happy to see it.
Most would think no cat would provide the better numbers...

regards..

·
Registered
352 Posts
does it make sense to assume that this may add even more whp to a car that is a bit more modded such as mine
yes, i.e. a car with a 3" exhaust will experience less gain than a car with other mods and a 3" exhaust

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
DC_SAAB -- I misread that also...huh go figure!!!!!

It actually does make sense to me that a CAT and down pipe makes more power as the car is designed to run with a certain level of backpressure. When I did a cutom turbo setup on my old Saturn I ran it on the dyno with just an open downpipe and then through a race cat and 2.5" exhaust. The results where the same as the MP test and that was aboout 10% more power with the cat and exhaust than without the exhaust and cat. I am by far not an engine desinger or engineer but I do know that all cars turbo or not are designed to function with some back pressure on the system but trying to determine how much and at what level will take someone with more knolwedge than me! :oops: :oops:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Eric,

Will you guys be testing on a T5 as well? Right now I have a Speedparts Intake, and SAABSavior SS cat-back 2.5" exhaust - all I need is the downpipe and cat to complete the necessary mods ot get my stage-3 ECU.

C

1 - 17 of 17 Posts