Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This week we finished production on our 3" stainless steel downpipes. And today we took it to the dyno. I knew the downpipe would produce an increase in power, but I was surprised by the amount of gains on a stock 9-3. Across the entire rpm range the 3" downpipe showed at 10-15 hp improvement. Spool up was noticeably quicker and top end power did not fade as much. The stock 9-3 being tested produced a peak of 175 hp and 193 ft-lbs torque at the wheels. With just the downpipe, performance shot up to 186 hp and 206 ft-lbs torque. This data illustrates the large restriction that the stock downpipe produces.

We are now selling these stainless steel downpipes on our site for much less than any of the other competitors.

www.mpperformance.com

Eric
MP Performance, LLC

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Awesome Job guys, it’s finally good to see a company backing up their performance mods with a Dyno. Nice Results

·
10,303 Posts
No this was on a test car...erics car is a T5 but is running a catted JT.

I have a 95 with no cat, so I dont have engine light issues. Blaq is running a 96 with no cat, and is getting a cel.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have a 95 with no cat, so I dont have engine light issues. Blaq is running a 96 with no cat, and is getting a cel.
96 was the start of obd2 so any car 96 and newer will pop a cel with the cat removed

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
so this 9-3 was a t5 I would assume? do you have any data for a t7 9-3? that would be very helpful.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I have a NG900 with JT no cat and i have no CEL, my car is 1998.

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
also you should get some data for t7 and also your 3 inch pipe with CAT since that is what most people would probably run anyways on a non-track car?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
ya eric just wonderin what year and which trim of 9-3 it is... cuz if its putin 175whp stock... i wonder if thats what the 185s put down stock taht is crazy and also with cat or without a cat

·
Registered
352 Posts
ricot83 said:
ya eric just wonderin what year and which trim of 9-3 it is... cuz if its putin 175whp stock... i wonder if thats what the 185s put down stock taht is crazy and also with cat or without a cat
the 185bhp 9-3's like mine put down 155whp which is consistent with 15% drivetrain loss

·
Registered
745 Posts
that's not a bad price for stainless.., but the downpipe and race cat made me a believer...on my 97 NG900.

I put my downpipe and race cat on with my first IC changeout. So the difference in power was a lot more noticeable for me since I replaced that dual pass IC I had with a one pass type.

Bought an analyzer for the CEL's and the error corresponds to faster exhaust on the primary O2 sensor....at least that's what my computer told me when I plugged in the results. I then realized I need to pipe the entire exhaust back using a 3 inch pipe, and it cured the CEL's.

Analysis shows the older 2.5 exhaust I had created some nice back pressure, but slowed the exhaust flow for the secondary O2 sensor.

I can only speak for my car...and not sure about the other models, but any chance those of you are running a complete 3 inch all the way back had no CEL's...as opposed to a 2.5 inch cat back, that did?

hope this helps...

regards

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Hey DC, i'm running full 3inch all the way through, this could be the reason why i get no CEL. But also i know Cedric is runing the same setup as me but i only have one muffler and he has two. So who knows what it is.

Also Eric i would like to know also if these results were with a Cat or not.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the responses.

The Saab used for the test was a 2000 base 9-3, T7, rated at 185 hp stock. The high stock wheel hp is consistent with some of the later model 9-3’s. Saab seems to have upped the horsepower without changing the listed specs.

As others have mentioned any 1996 Saab or later should throw a check engine light if the catalytic converter has been removed. It takes at least a few dozen miles for the CEL to illuminate but it doesn’t always come on. The CEL light is more likely to come on during normal cruising than when pushing it hard. To be safe I would say that you should assume your 1996 or later Saab will throw a CEL if you install a catless downpipe. However there are ways around this, I’ve seen people install 02 simulators to keep the second 02 from throwing a CEL.

We are planning having the 3” downpipe with a catalytic converter dynod shortly, and I will post the results when we get them. Right now the high-flow cats are on back order, but we are expecting them any day.

Eric

·
Registered
475 Posts
Wait a minute, did he just say a T7 car GAINED power without a software upgrade!?

It's HERESY I tell you! lol

When do you guys plan to have 9-5 DP's available? Your site is looking good and the expansion of your product line is impressive. Nice job.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Let's make sure we're looking at apples and apples here:

Eric, are those dyno comparisons between a stock 9-3 WITH cat, and a 9-3 with NO cat and 3" downpipe?

If so, then how much of that HP gain is simply the elimination of the catalytic converter from the exhaust flow? I think you'd need to run yours with a cat to get an accurate gain figure, and that would give a good baseline benefit number for most folks whose states require cats.....

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
LOL no way a t7 gaining hp.. who woulda thought... alright well if those stock hp figures are correct then that makes a lot of sense y my dyno numbers were so high as well... thats awesome.. so with a dp and a cat i should gain maybe 8-9whp... thats great... then again those figures would b on a stock 9-3 so i may gain even more... sweet.... maybe i just wont get software at all.. considering how well my car runs on stock sw

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
mike saunders said:
Eric, are those dyno comparisons between a stock 9-3 WITH cat, and a 9-3 with NO cat and 3" downpipe?

I think you'd need to run yours with a cat to get an accurate gain figure, and that would give a good baseline benefit number for most folks whose states require cats.....
Yes to the first question. And we will dyno a 3" downpipe with 3" cat as soon as the cats come in. Should have the results some time mid next week.

Eric

1 - 20 of 26 Posts