Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finally allowed to spread the word about the "special project" that had me in LA for a couple months.

I put it in this section because I got to talk about Saabs a few times lol.

-Buffet of Talent

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
So um yeah... Jameson you killed it!

I totally had forgotten this was on and happened upon it in the guide. Good stuff. Lotta tools.

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks.

They did some editing tricks to play me up as the bad guy, but I had the only funny quotes and there is something to be said for being memorable.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I disagree. You appeared to be the only that had any idea WTF was going on. You steered that ship that whole time and I was psyched to see you step up at the end sell the concept for your team.

Maybe I'm biased, but I felt like by the end of the episode they had you set up as being the one to beat!

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I disagree. You appeared to be the only that had any idea WTF was going on. You steered that ship that whole time and I was psyched to see you step up at the end sell the concept for your team.

Maybe I'm biased, but I felt like by the end of the episode they had you set up as being the one to beat!
I did a lot more steering than was shown, I had constant conflict from a know it all and then resistance when the know it all aligned with her mentor.

I actually started the entire meeting because she had no organization. I was at that board and suggest we ALL pool ideas and then we will refine until we have a solid design.

3 minutes in, Camilo grabs a marker and starts drawing a car on the board and the shouting of ideas ensues. It turned into chaos.

My SS idea was decent. I knew enough to know the new Cobalt was already done and would be out in 6 months. What to do for 2015? How about a send off of this body style with an SS variant. What they didnt show is I said we should push it MORE and make it a coupe. Camilo freaked and said it would be too much work to the C-pillar and scared darby.

An hour later, Camilo and Darby(they showed the tale end of this battle) wanted to mod the C-pillar but for THEIR idea, to pull it in, making wide fenders and narrow the rear window 10". The narrow rear window on a sedan for no reason sounded dumb to me. And now when its your idea, modding the C-pillar is kewl!!!

Then there was the fighting over color.

Early on, I said lets pick color democratically, put a pc of tape on the color chip and we'll vote. First she says, I think we'll wait to the end because color wont be important. I say we should do Atomic Orange later on. She says lets wait. I say it again, she says later, I say you know this will turn into an hour long fight last minute. Finally, at the end of the night she is ready for the color meeting(after Camilo and I disagreed when HE wanted the car TEAL). We learn that we cant paint it orange because we waited so long and the other team chose it, great(you see me take off the tape on the board). We then proceeded to argue for an hour. I felt like buying a T-shirt with I told you so written on it. So Doc, Troy and I all picked a color and she and Camilo veto'd itn which is something she said she wouldnt do.

Last but not least I offered to help her practice presenting, something I am good at. Instead she worked alone with Camilo and turned down my offer. It is for that reason I sounded like I had sour grapes when we won and I didnt congratulate her. I felt like I saved her ass a bit.

Too much background got cut of conflict, but they kept my pissed off zingers. Made me look like an asshole. But I was a funny asshole lol. Keep watching, it gets interesting.

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here are some deleted bonus scenes, some shed a bit of light into more that went on than made the TV edit.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
2nd week now that Jameson came up with the winning idea! Nicely done Sir. They had a little clip at the end last night that seems to be setting you up as the dark horse...

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
2nd week now that Jameson came up with the winning idea! Nicely done Sir. They had a little clip at the end last night that seems to be setting you up as the dark horse...
Yep.

Got the last line again. They made that a bit heavy handed.

It sucks they cut all my sketching on that episode and all the working on the robot sketch.

The whole Iron Man thing was Bullshit. I wanted to tweak it so we had a unique shape in the chest, maybe two round shapes. What we would up doing is making a new shape, kind of a thinned out Chevy Bow Tie wink wink nudge nudge. They made it out like Camilo walked in and saved the day yet he was clueless and sketched what he wanted which was a fashion model, a very gaunt/slender/feminine Transformer. We were like GTFO.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Troy seemed like a really smart and skilled guy, but boy did he gve off the impression that he did not want to be on the show!

Camilo probably has a great portfolio and lots of fans of his work, but wow he's a tool. And get Darby and her dumb ass outta there already. She got great art skills is about all I see.

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Troy seemed like a really smart and skilled guy, but boy did he gave off the impression that he did not want to be on the show!

Camilo probably has a great portfolio and lots of fans of his work, but wow he's a tool. And get Darby and her dumb ass outta there already. She got great art skills is about all I see.
Troy's shop and skills are nuts.

Camilo has become an amazing fine artist/illustrator, but they don't show that a lot of his DESIGN is dated and lacks a proper thought process. He is also very hard to work with in this team environment.

Darby has a LOT of natural talent but also is 20 and acted a bit like she knew everything which did not work well with me at all.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I guess I missed something how an aftermarket looking exoskeleton = paneling? The Darby/Camilo duo just cracks me up. They get so caught up in the weirdest shit and focus so much on 1 thing and forget about everything else. Plus, Darby, as "team leader", goes into the design room with her team and proceeds to sit back and let Camilo start spewing ideas and directing the design (for the 2nd time now), I love it!

Nice work once again Jameson, your team definitely had the better beach truck! You had all the right ideas with a table for your fish tacos and seat on the roof (some sort of outdoor shower would have hit it out of the park!) I loved the "I don't swim, I drown" line. Looks like you got some sun out there at least, haha.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
So I'm flipping through the channels last night and catch a quick glimpse of some guy who looks familiar. Wow. This is so cool its stupid.
Now I have to catch up on the previous episodes.

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I guess I missed something how an aftermarket looking exoskeleton = paneling? The Darby/Camilo duo just cracks me up. They get so caught up in the weirdest shit and focus so much on 1 thing and forget about everything else. Plus, Darby, as "team leader", goes into the design room with her team and proceeds to sit back and let Camilo start spewing ideas and directing the design (for the 2nd time now), I love it!

Nice work once again Jameson, your team definitely had the better beach truck! You had all the right ideas with a table for your fish tacos and seat on the roof (some sort of outdoor shower would have hit it out of the park!) I loved the "I don't swim, I drown" line. Looks like you got some sun out there at least, haha.
If you care to read, this is my wrap up summary that gives some insight...

Motor City Masters Ep3 thoughts...

Man. This. Hurt.

You guys at home miss so much.

The airbrush challenge was fun. We were let out of our cage to breathe some fresh air which was nice.

I liked my silly RELAX whale, I think it was in the top 4, knew it wasn't a winner for sure though. Although Darby was not my favorite person to work with earlier and her surfboards might have been a bit literal, damn was her technique solid-I have to commend good work when I see it-glad the show allowed it from me.

The picking of the teams. I was coming off of two back to back wins and had not worked with JoAnn, Shane and Bryan-completely new dynamic. I felt that the last two wins felt a bit empty if I didn't enjoy the process due to constant clashing with other designers.

This time, JoAnn let me shine and did not micromanage me or try and design over me. Shane, was made to be a nightmare to work with and I was always pressed by Jean that he must be so terrible but to my FACE he was more than fine and we seemed to work well together. Bryan had a lot of faith from JoAnn as designer and I was coming into that chemistry. But Bryan seemed to listen to my input and we bonded sharing a ladder together sanding my decklid/tonneau without him making it HIS design. Instead his elements worked with mine, his visor acting like sun screen for those laying on the deck-that is how team work is supposed to go. Nice for a change.

Paneling. I hate that word right now. What you guys at home don't see, is the minion who runs out to read the rules right before we start the challenge. The rule was stated we had to feature paneling, it did NOT have to be wood, but wood paneling would be provided. I get it. But they also said time and again, we don't want a Woody, don't make a Woody. I don't know, it is a bit of a mixed message. A Woody for those who don't know is kind of a classic beach vehicle that PROMINENTLY featured wood paneling along the side of the vehicle.

I had said in a long speech that got cut down. Wood paneling started out as a very high end feature and was real wood with real craftsmanship. Later in the 50's and as it became more expensive, it was used less and less on the car, once adorning an entire door, 1/4 panel and trunk had been reduced to more of a strip. Later on, it became fake wood on everything from Dodge Caravans to Pt Cruisers. It became the butt of a joke.

So my thought was, if we are going to bring it back, less is more, lets do it smartly. Bryan loves the idea of a social space. And our ideas came together making the top of the truck one, so the idea of the wood, a natural warm material would note this is where people lay when the surfboards are not there. The small applique on the side of wood would denote another social interaction where the name of the truck was stenciled as more interaction takes place when people write on it. This was doing something DIFFERENT with wood paneling which we thought was the point. I also gotta get in there that I named this sucker too, the Hawaiian word for TOWARDS THE OCEAN seemed perfect, no?

When it came time to present we were confident but JoAnn looked to me to be able to defend the amount of paneling we had. What they didn't show was the tonneau cover with integrated board storage was a big deal and heralded by the guest judge, she would buy it and all her friends would too she said. Wow-big endorsement as I drew it, gave dimensions to it, and thanks to work from David de Leon it came out exactly as I designed it to. I had also spent a lot of time on the wheels. I went as far as making proper centers out of lids of plastic 3M paint containers, JoAnn telling the judges I was like a mad genius for it. I was also proud that I had molded and shaped the drivers fender to a high enough standard that JoAnn asked me to touch up the rest of them to match. This all helped my confidence.

I just felt we had this one. The other teams truck just didn't feel beach to me and the color scheme felt like a toy. They were more conceptual than us for sure, but I had seen that not play out in past judge's picks.

So we got hammered about the paneling, why so much on top and not on the sides. I was very defensive and felt we were losing on a technicality. I felt the judges would have bought our truck if it was THEIR money. But Jean put me in my place a bit when she described it as if they were the clients and whether we liked it or not, they loved cladding and we didn't deliver the cladding. Ok-got ya, moving on.

It was rough driving past that yellow truck for the coming days. It just looked to be of a high standard in terms of finish, design and function. It felt like a winner to me, to all of us.

It was rough watching JoAnn go because I felt she was a person I had good talks with and someone who let me shine a bit this build. I hate a few things said from my mouth when she left as if I WANTED her to go or it was me thinking it was her time to go. It was just me thinking between me, Shane and her, it was going to be her whether I wanted it to be so or not. I think she knows me well enough to understand the difference and that I did respect her and enjoyed working with her and that nice fluffy comments don't see light of day often on this show.

Again I am left with the hope that the show gets better each week. The editing leaves so much room to tell a more compelling story about each of us. Why did the casting people gush over my story of beating cancer 2x, the loss, the fighting to be where I am, only to not mention a single word of it. Why would you root for me, to care about me, especially if you only got snark at first? We know so little about the 10 of us. Here's to hoping..
So I'm flipping through the channels last night and catch a quick glimpse of some guy who looks familiar. Wow. This is so cool its stupid.
Now I have to catch up on the previous episodes.
Nice!

It's still weird for me.

Sometimes there is NOTHING on TV and I flip and find myself. I make the joke that right NOW, I might be the best thing on TV lol.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
fuck that. fuck that. FUCK THAT! If Jameson wasn't on this show I'd hate the fuck out of it. Glad you made it through. But wow, talk about playing favorites. Shit is getting whack!

OK. Now that I slept on it... you got screwed again Jameson! You had the better car, again. The back end of that thing looked ridiculously cool! Shane's team had a car with a nice hood, a shitty wing, and great graphics. Without the graphics that car was shit, the judges acknowledged that. Speaking of the judges, what is with them trying to steer the teams during the builds? I'm sick of that. Highlight some weaknesses and let the team figure it out, but to tell Darby that she needs to go over Shane's head to get stuff done is just wrong! Let Shane fail!!!

Then, Camilo. Or is it "Ca-meeee-low"? It was cool to see you guys butt heads but then come together on other things. The elements he contributed to the car were decent, however the judges say your team lost because of poor time management, which you and Doc both pinned on Camilo. And what do the judges do to hold him accountable? Send him into the back room and say he's safe. What. the. fuck?

But glad you stayed alive, you clearly deserve it. Must have been scary to be on the chopping block. But Doc needed to go. He was a loose cannon and his stye/technique were both very unpolished.

Looking forward to your wrap up as always!

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^ Thanks.

Once again, it's painful to watch the Reality TV spin of what actually happened.

This ones going to be a novel!

Episode 4, back story...

Hotwheels. This is going to be fun, right?

When we walked in and saw the life size Hotwheels, I think we were all giddy. We got to be kids for a day!

Working with the white PVC plastic was not the easiest medium. For me, I was trying not to rush, would heat it up, bend it some, then I heard a CRACK. SHIT. NEXT...

Bryan presents before me and I freaked out a little bit. We had been talking about our love of DeLoreans hours before and I guess we both had the SAME inspiration. This can't be good I thought to myself. But low and behold I was finally chosen as one of the final two.

We had a few minutes of downtime before picking teams. Chunner had made up sort of a grid of all the ways team picking could play out. In pretty much all of his scenarios it seemed like Doc was picked last as if he was disposable. It kind of bothered me. I kept telling him that maybe his assumptions of my picks would be all wrong. I had a game plan in my head for exactly how to pick. I was torn going back and forth in my mind. I did not like working with Camilo on the other builds, he has too singular of a vision and does not work well in a team-it becomes what I called "The Camilo Show". BUT, fact is, Camilo had never lost, and perhaps there was a certain chemistry to his craziness and my grounded-sometimes too safe way of going about things. I knew the car had to have ballsy paint and CRAZY graphics to look like a Hotwheels car. Graphics are not my strong point and a strength of Camilo's. So I figure, as manager, shouldn't I have people on my team that have strength in places I don't? So I figured choose Camilo for those reasons and do my best to kind of keep him grounded. Doc next, yep! He was my bud, I could work with him and he sure knew his Hotwheels. I also knew if Camilo went nuts that Doc would find him to be the cause of the failure too and we would be a united front in case we went in front of the firing squad.

I think everyone found that to be a shock-how could Darby be picked last? I just knew the dynamic of Camilo+Darby and did not want that for myself AGAIN.

Here we go again with the editing...

It was made to look like I was a tyrant with a Napoleon Complex-snapping at Camilo-cutting him off. In reality I tried starting off organized, we all had input. But Camilo has a way of commandeering the ship. Let's face facts, every time before he was either in charge or given so much room to act in charge-but this time he wasn't. So when he would cut me off mid sentence, talk over me, or just pull it off course, I calmly asked to finish a few times. He would say something derogatory about how I was managing but not have clear direction either, so I would say I didn't want this to turn into the Camilo show. By the time he says you're the boss, it's after minutes of arguing with me and when I say that's what I like to hear, it's funny and it's about time.

One of the key things was I had sketched 3 key body lines to punch up, the fender downturn, the arrow shape on the lower door, and the crease from the door handles that went into the front fender. At the same time, Camilo was sketching and saying a bit disjointedly about certain features but also sounded like he was disagreeing. I took my drawing and labeled the lines 1-2-3 and held it up and he said, oh, yeah well that's what I have here-that is what I was saying. OK? Good, we are in agreement. And it took ALL THREE OF us to work on pulling out those lines. The judges somehow got it in their head that all of that was Camilo's contribution.

One of the big keys was the pipes. The shape of the pipe was the exact shape of the body line that was there. When we came in the next morning the techs went a little off the cuff and added 3 EXTRA pipes per exhaust tip which made even less sense as our car was a V8 and not what we had sketched. It was easily salvageable though. Doc and I told Camilo that with little work it was fine and we had bigger fish to fry. We last had agreed not to cut it out and not to start over and when we looked back he had cut it ALL up. He then spent a lot of time fitting him the way HE had envisioned. I gave my input, but I also gave him space-they make it seem like I stifled his creativity. But remember, I chose Camilo for that kickass paint job and graphics!

Doc laid his name to the hood element. Not shown, I had done a sketch of a simplified LT1, the name brought back for the latest Vette engine. Our car was going to be a RWD V8 with a twin turbo LT1 sticking out of the hood. Now here is the key, MANAGEMENT STYLE. One way is to micromanage Doc and basically make it so that Doc makes something as if it was my design. The other management style is choose someone and trust what they bring to the table and create there element-their signature. If things don't work out, they go home-but based on their idea. Can you imagine going home for executing something that wasn't even what you wanted? I let Doc do what he felt was right for Hotwheels. When we see Camilo come over he was nasty to us both over the engine...help him, he doesn't know what he's doing-kind of attitude. In the 11th hour he basically wanted Doc to start over. Nothing but condescension comes out of his mouth and of course Doc and I did not want that kind of input so late in the game.

What the hell did I do on that car, didn't I just be mean to Camilo? Well the theme, the name Punched Out 'Pala and those 3 design character lines, were me, though again Camilo had the same thought. I also came up with the cars stance, I had wanted "big and littles". Problem, the other team chooses wheels first since Shane won and they chose TWO different wheels. So to work around it I selected tires to cheat the big and little look. I also did the wing. Doc had a drawing of an F40 style wing, I wasn't in love but it was a good place to start. Camilo came in at the end and said he hated it and wanted a flat Bonne Salt Flat type spoiler like he did on a Fusion. Wasn't in love with that either. I found a mid ground in the design and created a lower section that triangulated the base and shared lines off the taillights and had kick ups that mimicked the front splitters that Camilo had come up with. There you go, cohesive!

Let's try and speed this up.

All this time spent on the side pipes re-do and the other team is in the booth taping off their car. We had also picked purple, a wow-look at me color. But we got shut down as the other team did purple. We had only a minute to come up with our red. By the time I had Camilo do his saving grace, his graphic skills, the other team had at least an hour head start. Camilo gets in there and starts taping off very tame, very OEM shapes like pontoon fenders. I actually had to PUSH him, saying this is Hotwheels, this is our chance to go NUTS. But we only had twenty minutes and you saw how tame our car came out. The other team even seemed to admit, the graphics saved them and ours did NOTHING for us.

So we lose.

Who goes home?

Like Dawan going home for wheels, I didn't feel our engine was enough to send home Doc. It should have been between Camilo and I. The pipes were not how I intended, but fact is that was only 1 of 10 times I told Camilo no on something. For example, I made the LT1 emblems and said some place subtle like the trunk lid would be a good place only to watch him put them on the side which as you saw set Doc OFF. In the real world, I was the boss on this one, as wrong or right as I was did not matter. When you go behind the bosses back for the 20th time, you get fired. I picked Camilo to push me and he sure did. We had the ballsy bodywork and he had a lot of help with that and his front splitters were great too. But I relied on him for strengths I didn't have, I think that is what a good manager does. But he did not deliver on the paint and graphics, eluding that HE needs to be pushed which is what happens when he works with Darby or Kevin(his reply to the judges-instead of saying something nasty about me, he said the other team had so much talent and named them one by one). After hearing that reply to the judges it became clear. Camilo respected Shane, Darby, Bryan and Kevin. He did not respect me or Doc. He wanted to take the reins from me and expected ME to push him while at the same time take whatever he says as gold.

So Doc and I both pointed to Camilo. The other players make it out that you can get out of there without throwing someone under the bus. I sure saw Bryan say, well it's gotta be Troy when pressed. So when pressed, for me it had to be Camilo. He can call me an evil little man all he wants. It was rough watching my friend go home and I walked in to them celebrating Doc going home and I wasn't all smiles. And of course Camilo was all butt-hurt-it's a competition buddy and the first time you're in front of the firing squad-it ain't pretty. What they didn't show was Doc and I standing together in front of the judges and saying to each other that we had each other's backs and were real friends-not made for TV friends.

As a TV show it's getting better. We see more interaction, we get to hear the individual challenge pitches and see more meat of the show. Also nice to see more of Kevin J. Chunner. It is still very clear they have people that will only be shown in a positive light that some of us know better.

On this show, being manager ain't all it's cracked up to be. Just a couple days before I was critical of JoAnn as manager and now I had a better understanding of what it's like.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts