Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about gauges a little bit today. at some point I would obviously want boot/vacuum, probably 20 psi is enough for this car, right?

If you had to have only 3 gauges, which are most imporant. keep in mind this is not for racing, but i do run a Stage 1 and will probably go to stage 3 eventually... I don't "race" but occasionally run hard and want to be sure the tuning is correct - I may look into a "custom" stage to accomodate some extra hardware and since I can't go to Sweden with my car, the guages would help me feel more confident everything is running smoothly...

I am thinking:

- boost/vac
- EGT
- A/F ratio

and which company do you think makes the best guages?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
i would not get a/f and egt, with egt u can see how lean u r runing and that is more important, and also the a/f only works as well as your o2 sensor does, i would try egt boost and maybe oil temp or oil pressure

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
help me out here, i am still learning. :wink: :oops:

what is the benefit of oil temp or pressure? why more important than A/F?

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
eh oil pressure us taken care of with the idiot light...all youll see on the gauge is the pressure rise at warmup other than that it will just tell you when you have no oil pressure...id go boost, egt, a/f is cheaper tho and is still useful) and i dunno what else...autometer or vdo...greddy has some good ones to

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
yeah i think the way to go would be boost, and EGT or if the EGT is too expensive, go for an A/F gauge. Beyond those there really isnt much of a point for anything else, like saabkid said the oil press and temp are useful to telll if you have pressure or not, but not much else. As for brands, i'd suggest VDO, theyre cheap, accurate, and they blend well with the stock gauges (probably cause theyre made by the same company). But if you want something less subtle, then the autometers are good.

Paul

·
Registered
473 Posts
i'd go boost, a/f, ??? i think all the dummy lights take care of everything after that. as stated above. I love to use autometer gauges, this compnay (not sure which) has digital gauges which look amazing but i heard aren't that accurate.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
*pssst - insider trading tip - don't diss AutoMeter* They may be a future/soon to be Sponser of TSL and myself. (Meaning discounts for all members via a code or something) So if you aren't in a rush ( a few months prolly ) the word will be official.... :p

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am in no rush.

Probably next spring/summer at earliest. just trying to learn as much as I can, I like to be really sure what i want before I spend the $$. Kind of like how I researched ECU's for over a year before i decided.

I want guages to light up and look PIMP at night, but not ugly by day and vice versa. i also saw some autometer Carbon fibre gauges that would match my new CF interior nice, but they don't appear to light up.

Ideally, I would like guages that look stock during the day and match my interior(black or CF faces with white numbers and orange pointers) and light up green/red/orange at night, like Saab guages.

But when I see those lunar glow autometer, cobalt automter,and those otehr blue glow guages, I don't know, those are really pimp, too! 8) 8) Blaque_out has some PIMP ones, love that blue!!!! :wink:

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
I'm putting in EGT, A/F and boost with a stage 4.

The first two are for safety, to get a measure of how the engine is doing and whether you're running out too lean at boost -- which could fry the engine like expensive eggs on a griddle. I might delete the A/F though, because I've heard that the cheap gauges usually just bounce around within a general stoich range and you can't really see anything useful. The visual numbers aren't accurate enough for proper tuning, so you'd need to hook up a wide-band O2 sensor.

The boost gauge is mostly for general performance and general geekiness 8)

paul was right about oil pressure and temp. Neither should be an issue unless you have serious sludge problems, and you shouldn't be tuning anything if that's the case. What you really care about is whether oil is being sprayed under the pistons. If there's a blockage in the oil spray ports, your pressure would still read OK, but the affected piston, or pistons, would get steadily hotter. A CHT gauge (cylinder head temp) can warn you of this, and of proper A/F, but it's expensive and usually used in aviation as an "Oh, shit!" kind of gauge. I'd also be worried about drilling into the head for a probe. EGT also gives you some measure of early warning of this, but unless you have a gauge with a set temp warning light, a sharp temp rise would be easy to miss....

The Autometer cobalts look quite pimpish, very new-jack baller, as does anthing with a white or CF face. I'm Mr. Old School Sleeper "No, Officer, I had no idea I was going that fast" so I'm going with black GReddy jizoints with the electronic peak/hold feature. Very button-down, very understated, with subtle green backlighting that matches the stock gauge display.

Of course, nothing says bling to the ladies (or to the gents) like blue lighting.... :D

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mike saunders said:
I'm going with black GReddy jizoints with the electronic peak/hold feature. Very button-down, very understated, with subtle green backlighting that matches the stock gauge display.
Do you have a link to those? Still not sure how exactly how pimp I wanna go yet. these might fit the bill.... good lookin out, thanks PLAYA! :wink:

mike saunders said:
I might delete the A/F though, because I've heard that the cheap gauges usuall just bounce around and you can't really see anything. The visual numbers aren't accurate enough for proper tuning, so you'd need to hook up a wide-band O2 sensor.
Mike, i saw this website in my gauge research, and they offer digital wideband O2 gauges, as well as autometer A/F gauges that are modified for "full throttle" only. instead of just bouncing around like you describe, they only function at full throttle to show the very fine fluctuations that normally don't register on the standard gauge, so they are usueless at a steady cruise, and are more for tuning purposes... it's better explained on their site, check it out. 8) 8)

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Prices for the peak/hold gauges vary all over the place, but they're about $250-300 new...cheaper in all the other usual places 8)

but the look is pretty understated, some would even say boring, but I'm totally ok with that since they look almost stock.

..and thanks for that O2 gauge link! That looks like it might solve the problem of lights ping-ponging all over the place...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Mike,

I've got a few pics on my site that show the gauges. I used Apex'i EGT and boost. the EGT has a memory function to record 30sec or something like that, a peak function that will display peak reading of a run and a warning function that you can set as you like. I started off with the boost gauge that had the same functions but didn't feel they were necessary and sold that gauge, pocketed $200 and went with a "mechanical" boost gauge.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
BurnsSide42 said:
*pssst - insider trading tip - don't diss AutoMeter* They may be a future/soon to be Sponser of TSL and myself. (Meaning discounts for all members via a code or something) So if you aren't in a rush ( a few months prolly ) the word will be official.... :p
soo goood......sooo tight!

abdukted1456 said:
p.s. what are these defi ghost things? got any pics?

http://www.defi-shop.com/product/bf/bf_top.html

·
Administrator
668 Posts
Ive never seen a good looking pod for a saab other than erics. All the pods ive seen for saabs look crappy and home made.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts