Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday coming up a long left hand sweeping hill I pulled out to pass a Morgan Plus Eight sportscar. The guy floors it, hard judging by the way the back end of his car shimmied and puffed a little blue smoke, so did I :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Gotta say by the end of the passing lane I had about 10 car lengths on him 8)
This isn't something I normally do but hell it was fun.
The Morgan has less BHP than my Red NG but is about half the weight so I am happy with the way the NG left him. Only downside was that I had the wife and her mother in the car at the time. Not smart :roll:
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
7,595 Posts
refresh my memory here... the Morgan, is that the re-body that's based on the Mustang GT? I think I read an article a while back in motor trend about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
584 Posts
DeLorean said:
refresh my memory here... the Morgan, is that the re-body that's based on the Mustang GT? I think I read an article a while back in motor trend about it.
No. Morgan is a tiny British manufacturer based in Herefordshire. The cars are handbuilt works of art, design and construction principles virtually unchanged since they opened the shop's doors in 1910.

Just seeing one on the street is a rare treat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
What? You're bragging about pulling on that thing? I think I pulled on a '74 vw bug once(it was stock).

fwiw - just giving you a hard time, sorry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
584 Posts
NVigR8 said:
What? You're bragging about pulling on that thing? I think I pulled on a '74 vw bug once(it was stock).
Considering that the Plus 8 has about the same HP as many Saabs (180 - 200hp depending on the year) but at a fraction of the weight. . . I'd be honored just to be on the road with one - there are probably less than a thousand of them in the states even after nearly 40 years of production.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
584 Posts
DeLorean said:
you and your HP figures... they are always off by about a factor of 40 :roll:
Oh really? Are you coming up with different numbers for the plus 8?

They were produced with two different engines in many different configurations so there's a pretty wide range out there.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
7,595 Posts
driver found said:
Oh really? Are you coming up with different numbers for the plus 8?
Naah, I am just messing with ya. don't know what the output of that car is.'

you do tend to overestimate HP figures by quite a bit though ;) I seem to remember a "156 HP DeLorean" :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The car I passed was a 1984 Model with I believe 160 BHP. Like Driver Found says they are rare works of art. Ash (yes wood) chasis with hand built and beaten aluminium body.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
584 Posts
DeLorean said:
driver found said:
Oh really? Are you coming up with different numbers for the plus 8?
Naah, I am just messing with ya. don't know what the output of that car is.'

you do tend to overestimate HP figures by quite a bit though ;) I seem to remember a "156 HP DeLorean" :lol:
There were thousands of 156 hp DeLoreans. Just not here in the states. So there. :p

I based my guess on knowledge of other vehicles that those engines (4.0 litre and 4.6 litre V8 from Rover/Buick) were used in. I *have* seen them listed for sale with the 200 hp figure in the add several times, so I'd bet that's what the later 4.6 litre engine produced.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
584 Posts
DeLorean said:
they have a .... wood? frame?
Like I said, not much has changed at Morgan since they opened their shop doors nearly a century ago. Even in the 60's when the Plus 8 debuted, magazines were complaining that it was terribly outdated.

The new Aero 8 though is a pretty damn cool vehicle and at least somewhat modern.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,049 Posts
driver found said:
DeLorean said:
they have a .... wood? frame?
Like I said, not much has changed at Morgan since they opened their shop doors nearly a century ago. Even in the 60's when the Plus 8 debuted, magazines were complaining that it was terribly outdated.

The new Aero 8 though is a pretty damn cool vehicle and at least somewhat modern.
so it Does have a wood frame? :?:
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top