Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks I'm a newbie and I have a question.

I'm going to go up to NapTun Stage 4 (Stage 5 eventually - yeah, I plan to fry a piston or two; ya only go around once) on my Y2K Aero and would like to get some wider than stock wheels and tires a la the M5s or CLKs .

Any suggestions? Or am I off my tree? Thanks much...

·
Administrator
668 Posts
Cant get any wider than 8 inches.... thats as good as you can do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Boxerchip...so even going up to 8's (I currently run the 17X7.5 Fondmetal Turbines) I will be limited in tire size to 225/45?

What about spacers to at least widen the track - or are they bunk /junk?

Hey where are you in VA ?- I'm up here in Laurel MD...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm - I have to admit I didn't think the extra rubber would degrade the handling of the vehicle - but I could see how it would.

Naively thinking that more is better in the rubber dept.

Had an '86 900s, bone stock, got it up to 297K before frame rust set in...

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
yeah - didn't mean to drop your hopes man - sorry bout that - I come from the logical side of a car... I like to look a nice things, but f those nice things take away from my overall performance - it just isn't an upgrade, it's a downgrade no matter how it looks.... I'd say stick with factory specs - the car was designed that way for a reason. If you want a different look - seek another stock rim, or an aftermarket of the same spec. I would never personally go bigger then a 16" rim merely cause here in PA the roads would eat those rims and tires alive and I don't have the money for tires every other month. I stick with my STOCK/OEM 15" rims. I happened to find a set off a 1993 CSE - so those are my NICE rims (still 15" tho) But that's me - to each their own. Hope this all makes sense tho.

·
Administrator
668 Posts
Ive actually talked to ALOT of people about this. namely Nick (genuine saab) it seems anything over 7.5 inches will make your car handel like ass... what you really want are some REALLLLLLLLLLLLLY nice tyres. I noticed an AMAZING increase in 0-60 when i got my pilot sports. SAABs are most certianly 0-60 cars... my friend has a 280HP AWD turbo eclipse and he jumps me off the line but I DESTRORY him anywhere else. if you want a better 0-60 you just need more power so you can cath up in 2nd gear.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well thanks guys - 'preciate the input. Guess I'll just go pick up a used M5 on eBay...just kidding!

I am running a new set of Pilot Sports and they are indeed awesome.

Well, now for the money I'm going to save, I can drop a Group 9 cam in!

·
Registered
475 Posts
You can get away with a 235 series tire easily. If you go 235/45 the sidewall will be a bit higher and if the car isnt lowered it will raise the height of the vehicle. If the car has been lowered slightly this will work well but might rub slightly. If you go 235/40 you will have less sidewall and less rubbing issues but a less forgiving ride as well. With either scenario the ECU does not have a calibration for that size wheel/tire combo so the speedo and odo will be very slightly off but nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
352 Posts
what type of tire are you looking for? all season, summer performance, snow?

summer performance - kumho ecsta 712, bridgestone potenza s03
snow - nokian

NOTE: this list is based upon what i have heard from users of tires

if you want further detail, go to www.tirerack.com

you can compare tires there

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
You stated NapTun above for ECU Stage 4, do you mean MapTun Stage 4 available from Group 9 Performance? Unless I have never heard of NapTun...

Also, I have Kumho Ecsta Supra High performance 712 summer tires, and they really do suck in the winter. Maybe I should think of purchasing new tires this year before the snow hits...

·
Registered
475 Posts
Kumho 712 suck all around period. They will grip well for about 5k miles but then they will wear unevenly, get all choppy and noisy and lose grip especially in the wet. I had a set that had to be replaced after 8k miles.

If you are looking strictly for summer performance...
Michelin Pilot Sport
Toyo Proxes
Goodyear Eagle (F1DS3 I think is the name)

For combo of comfort and occasional snow driving with good performance..
Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S is THE #1 choice (although it wont perform as well as the above mentioned tires, it will last much longer given its higher treadwear rating)

·
Registered
352 Posts
see my edited post 2 posts up

thanks for the opinion on the kumhos xaamottomaax, i stil think they're a decent tire for the dollar

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
rcm - yes, it's MapTun, not NapTun. Bad keystroke.

I'm getting a bunch of stuff from Group 9:

Intercooler
Intake pipe
Drop-in filter
Delivery pipe
3" turbo-back exhaust with race cat
Dump valve
ECU
Slotted rotor, pads and SS lines

Will be installed at the shop of the guy who fabs the exhaust systems for Group 9 - he is in York, PA .

saabvos - looking at summer tires...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts