Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around to putting some mesh on my grill. Wasn't too hard, but I had to redo the mesh for the main grill, it wasn't quite perfect the first time :roll:

Then I did the lower part. And then I decided to put mesh over the foglights as well. I think it looks ok. What do you guys think?

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
I think it looks pretty damn good. Good job on the install.

·
Registered
45 Posts
yeah I think it looks pretty good like that. I did the mesh grill too, but I never got around to doing the lower part...although I did flip the license plate bracket upside down so it doesn't block the lower grill and intercooler as much.

How did you secure all that lower mesh?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was asked how to mesh the lower part, heres what I said.

I cut it to fit as close as possible so its a tight fit and won't move too much on its own. Then I used some picture hanging wire (i think, it was just laying around), and put a peice through an opening in the mesh and twisted it around the black plastic that was already in the openings. I only used 2 peices of wire per insert.

The mesh on the foglights is cut a bit bigger than the opening and I just got it wedged in between the foglight and bumper.

It works because everything is still holding up after a few weeks.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
ive been thinking of doing this for quite a while, too, but i want to add a red outline around the mesh, so i've been trying to figure out how to make the inserts. im thinking maybe some of that super-sticky side molding stuff that i'll paint red, the somehow attach the mesh to it and stick it in.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
holy 4.5 years ago...

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
haha yup, i love bringing old topics back up....

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
How about painting the grille surrounds red instead of creating an insert? The fake chrome plastic pieces that have the tabs on them.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
How about painting the grille surrounds red instead of creating an insert? The fake chrome plastic pieces that have the tabs on them.
i guess im not sure exactly what you mean by grille surrounds. i need some way to hold the mesh in place and i like the look of a thin red line around the outside of it, dividing it from the rest of the bumper.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
i guess im not sure exactly what you mean by grille surrounds. i need some way to hold the mesh in place and i like the look of a thin red line around the outside of it, dividing it from the rest of the bumper.
I'm talking about the silver plastic that clips the grille into place. You anchor the mesh either to the existing black plastic pieces, or you remove them and stick the mesh to the surrounds I am talking about. Painting these red might look pretty good if thats what you are going for. Though it would probably look pretty terrible on anything other than a black car IMO.

The silver pieces in the pic below are what I am referring to.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I'm talking about the silver plastic that clips the grille into place. You anchor the mesh either to the existing black plastic pieces, or you remove them and stick the mesh to the surrounds I am talking about. Painting these red might look pretty good if thats what you are going for. Though it would probably look pretty terrible on anything other than a black car IMO.

The silver pieces in the pic below are what I am referring to.

gotcha...haha i actually have a 9k...sorry for posting in the wrong section, but that was where i found the topic. im actually talking about the lower grille in the front bumper of a 9000. thanks for the suggestion, though. when i get a 9-5 i'll remember this!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts