Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car will never give me a break.

I get this whining sound that increases with rpms. It's almost sounds like a sort of whistle. And I don't think it's the trans because I have a nice 50k miles one from an '01 freshly installed. I'm thinking something to do with an idler pulley or something?

Also, if I get my car to around 3500+ rpms, especially under heavier throttle, the rpms will either pause or continue going up when I push in the clutch. I straightened the plate that the throttle cable attaches to (we won't discuss why that was bent), but it still seems a little weird. The gas pedal seems to move freely though, and doesn't feel like it's getting caught up at all. I talked to Tony at the Autoshop in Appleton and he thinks maybe cleaning the throttle body will help? It didn't look very dirty to me though...any other ideas?

The other issue I've had for a while is that my idle usually will not drop down to 900 rpms until I come to a complete stop. It's especially bad after a spirited run.

Thanks for your help all.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Where on the engine is the noise coming from?

Hanging idle sounds like the IAC is getting hung up, possible bad TPS or a throttle plate that is a bit gunked and doesn't want to snap shut. The TB gets reeeaaalllyyy nasty where you can't see it, on the edges and the back side.
Pics from the legendary Taurus which is now out of my possession at the moment due to a fried trans.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't really tell where the noise is coming from since I've been driving when it happens. I'll have to have someone give it some gas in neutral and see if I can find a location.

That TB does look quite gunked. I suppose I will pull mine out and see. I am afraid, though, that it is an issue from when we were doing the trans. That engine beam was not working very well, and the engine slipped so it was angled pretty steep, putting a lot of stress on the cruise cable among other lines...remember that? Lol.

What is the plan with the Taurus?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Pull off the TB intake pipe? I think that's what you would call it, and have someone stomp the gas pedal and let off right away. You'll see it right away if its hanging up on the way.

We could have pinched one of the throttle cables, but its hard to say sitting in front of my laptop vs. being under the hood lol.

The Taurus is getting a completely rebuilt tranny. Parents wouldn't let me DD the SAAB until I fixed it myself, because apparently the SAAB is "unreliable." Yes mom and dad, the SAAB with its minor idle issue is much more of a problem than a 4 speed automatic transmission that drove more like a cvt when I finally got the Taurus back home. I'd rather deal with an idle issue than a issue with getting power to the wheels.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
My car will never give me a break.

I get this whining sound that increases with rpms. It's almost sounds like a sort of whistle. And I don't think it's the trans because I have a nice 50k miles one from an '01 freshly installed. I'm thinking something to do with an idler pulley or something?

Also, if I get my car to around 3500+ rpms, especially under heavier throttle, the rpms will either pause or continue going up when I push in the clutch. I straightened the plate that the throttle cable attaches to (we won't discuss why that was bent), but it still seems a little weird. The gas pedal seems to move freely though, and doesn't feel like it's getting caught up at all. I talked to Tony at the Autoshop in Appleton and he thinks maybe cleaning the throttle body will help? It didn't look very dirty to me though...any other ideas?

The other issue I've had for a while is that my idle usually will not drop down to 900 rpms until I come to a complete stop. It's especially bad after a spirited run.

Thanks for your help all.[/QUOTEC
Can you hear the noise when you rev the motor, or is it only when you have a load on it?

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
In the compound linkage ont he throttle body there is a 10mm head pivot bolt. There was a recal on those pivots. Pul yours apart and inspect/clean it.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
In the compound linkage ont he throttle body there is a 10mm head pivot bolt. There was a recal on those pivots. Pul yours apart and inspect/clean it.
Second that.

My NA had a sticky problem similar to this. I would give it gas, then let go and hit the clutch, and the rpms would shoot up. My problem turned out to be a sticking throttle cable from 180k miles of gunk. Little WD and it was good to go, hasn't done it since.

As for whinning sound, do a diagnostic check. Does it happen when your are in gear only, or when in neautral as well. Does it get louder with RPM? If you listen and it sounds to be coming from the drive belt, do yourself a quick favor and take the serp belt off. Then run the car for a few seconds, rev it, and see if you hear it. If you DONT, but did with the serp belt on, then it is pulley related. I just went through this on my car when I heard a rattling tapping sound that sounded like a dying turbo. Turned out to be a bad water pump and two bad idler's.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can you hear the noise when you rev the motor, or is it only when you have a load on it?
I will rev it in neutral and see what happens. Also, when I start the car, the revs jump way up (around 2500-3000 rpms)

So this is a part on that plate that the throttle cable attaches to?

Yeah, I need to do that serp. belt test. We actually just did this for a whining sound on my dad's truck, turned out to be an idler pulley when he thought it was the trans. Hopefully I can check it out this weekend, I have been very busy with school and very reluctant to work on the Saab after all the problems this summer.:mad:

Also noticed that if I turn the key to ON, I get a flashing CEL. Flashes 3x, then pause, then 7x, then pause, then stays on for a few seconds. Then it repeats...??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts