Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I got my fuel filter back on, car ran great on the way to work, nothing weird. However I go to head home, and suddenly its running like shit, and throws a CEL. Exhaust smells a little funny, but its not a sweet smell like coolant so thats good. Definitely smells like something fuel related, as the car is noticeably slower, and stumbled a time or two.

Scanned it with just a generic obdII tool and got these: P0125, P0108, and P1171. I've read up on these for a bit, and seems I could be having some MAP or CTS issues affecting the car. Not sure what else really, but Im sure there's something I've overlooked. I know the CTS can screw with the car and make it do funny stuff, as can the MAP. It doesn't really like to start unless I give it a little gas for some reason. Never had that problem until today. Makes me miss my very uncomplicated pile of an 89 Jeep XJ.

For what its worth, the gas gauge is not working right now either, and the SID claims the mileage has dropped by about 4mpg. I realize that thing is not really accurate, but it always stays about the same for mixed driving at about 22 or so. Now its showing 17. I really hope its something stupid that can be fixed easily, as dropping the tank or something like that is not what Im looking forward to. That and the fuel pump cost is insane for these cars.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any thoughts on what I should look into? CTS? MAP? Both? Or something else I may have overlooked? Thanks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Check CTS, MAP, and IAT. If the exhaust smells like unburnt gas, and SID is reporting dropped mileage, it sounds like something is making the car run rich.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Check CTS, MAP, and IAT. If the exhaust smells like unburnt gas, and SID is reporting dropped mileage, it sounds like something is making the car run rich.
CTS, MAP, and IAT are all original as far as I can tell. The exhaust doesn't have an obvious fuel smell to it, but it does seem a tad richer than usual. I recognized it from having done some carb work on older motorcycles, and that was from an improperly adjusted mixture screw. I recently pulled out and cleaned the IAT with some electronics cleaner, although it did look very clean before.

What should I be looking for with the MAP and CTS? All the wires are good from what I can see. Any other telltale signs of something amiss?

Also as an aside note, the DIC is good, have two known good ones. No reason to suspect that is causing anything. The plugs were recently replaced and gapped to spec with the usual NGKs.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Today I got some of the parts I figured I needed in from eeuro. Picked up a new CTS, MAP, IAT, and for grins 2 new hatch struts. Haven't put it all back since I ran out of patience and daylight. Got all the parts install, just haven't plugged everything back up yet. However, one thing I did notice that really bothered me was that the FPR was missing a vac line. From what I can see, it was never on there when I got the damn thing. The port off the TB was blocked off with a longer piece of hose and a bolt in it. WTF. I think this may be part of my issues, although can't say that it ran badly for most of the time I had it. Still though, how in the hell did that get overlooked? I can't believe I never saw that, or that the car ran normally for a while without it. Does the ECU just adapt to this and assume its fueling needs? I'm confused since I've never seen that. Hopefully I didn't need an FPR which I haven't got a spare of.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
So everything went back together today, but no improvement. CEL came back on, runs about the same. Actually idles higher now for some odd reason. Anyone have any idea what else i should be looking for? My registration is due in Oct, and because I'm now in the facist land of northern va, I have to pass emissions. Which isn't going to happen at this rate. Not to mention, the damn thing needs to run right. Haven't gotten to check and see what the codes are yet, but I'm sure they're probably the same.

Also, the vac/boost gauge has been erratic at best. Sometimes it works, the rest of the time it stays pegged in the red regardless of engine speed. BPC perhaps?

If anyone in the DC area has any time today, tomorrow, or Sunday to help me diagnose this issue, I'll gladly compensate you for the help. Cash, beer, helping you wrench on your saab, whatever. Just need to get this turd working right soon so I can drive it.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reset the ECM, same symptoms, but only one code now P0106. Not sure why Im getting a MAP related code since the sensor is new, but again the gauge is still showing in the red.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So after talking to Tweek's Turbos, going to check the line for the MAP and the gauge. Anyone have any other suggestions? I really need to get this thing moving soon.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Problem solved, and it appears I overlooked something stupid. Al at S&S in Warrenton found it funny too, as he said he hadn't suspected it either: the ECU connection wasn't quite tight, and somehow made some pins lose contact. So basically, it means I wasted a ton of time on something dumb. Fortunately not much money, and what I did replace could have used it anyway. Lesson learned.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts