Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my hydraulic clutch has stopped doing it's job. Started by shifting hard, then not being able to shift at all. Didn't hear anything unusual like throwout bearing. Problem with all gears, not just a particular synchro.
So, is there a trick to determining if it's the master or slave? I know which one I want it to be, and it's not the slave. Car is an '00 viggen w/147K. Any tips?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
The master is the easiest thing to replace first, But.... you can diagnose it by pinching the rubber part of the line "Lightly" with a pair of vice grips to see if the pedal isn't movable at all, If so the master is probably fine though. "Non compressible pedal and the seals in the master are holding" If you can push the pedal down than your pliers aren't tight enough or the master is shot and fluid is bypassing the plunger. Its more likely you cracked the center of the clutch and a Spring is hanging halfway out.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok

OK, thanks "Harv". Broken clutch spring seems unlikely- the initial symptom was a gradual increase in the degree of difficulty when shifting. At first I thought I hadn't pushed the clutch in far enough. I might try flushing the system, although it's doubtful that it will help. Just looking for the easiest and most effective fix like everyone else. There's an old saying that goes something like this- "sometimes the hardest way is the easiest". I'll be trying the "pinch method" first.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I just had my clutch replaced yesterday, my slave cyl. started making noise about a year ago and got worse over time. Shifting did the same, I could feel a click at times through the pedal, and it was hard getting in all gears. Turned out that a spring in the clutch fell out of the perch. Shifts like new now.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I'll check that also

1 - 5 of 5 Posts