Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why is this coming out of my exhaust and it is running very rought and very rich?

thanks,

Ben Y.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
do you drive it daily? Is she garage kept? How cold is it when the rough idle appears - both car and outside. Do you idle your turbo before shut down? It is normal for some moisture to be present and dripping/blowing out of your exhaust - but if it's spraying or leaking out steady - something is up - headgasket perhaps.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
it doesnt look like much...you should see what y brother '69 chevelle spits out haha...could just be condensation from over night it this wheather.....or i have no clue...

·
Administrator
302 Posts
Burning alcohols carbon based fuels like gasoline give (under perfect conditions) only 2 exhaust products: Carbon dioxide and water. But, due to no-so-perfect conditions a lot of bad side products are created during the combustion. So, having water coming out your exhaust is quite normal, as long as it doesn´t have white exhaust when the engine has reached normal temperatures.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Could be temperature related..condensation.., even the alchol type fuel bollman mentioned. But when you said running rich....doesn't sound right...like the car is sensing a change to change your fuel ratio....hmm.

In my experience, you don't always find milky oil with a blown headgasket. I've had a blown HG on a 93 9000, and a 97 900...and wasn't pretty. Lot more obvious on the 9000, as opposed to the 900 for some reason, and not sure why.

Something I learned first-hand on my 97 900 is that they sometimes blow internally, and although you would expect to see milky brownish oil from the oil and water mix, the car indicated a red triangle long before.

Of course here, all of our suggestions may just be conjecture and educated guesses, and you still have to be sure in your mind, and feel better about the car.... so better safe than sorry I say. Especially if it saves you the expense later.

I would check or have checked the following to be sure:

Radiator fluid level dropped?

Compression check; obvious differences between cylinders, does it increase adding a couple drops of oil?

REtorque head

Leakdown test: Shop test....

hope it helps...
;

·
Registered
51 Posts
iwantaviggen said:
if its because of the head gasket..wouldnt he find milky oil?
Not necessarily
Head gasket leaks can be baffling and are complex.
Monitor the fluid levels religiously
A tiny leak unusually does no harm, but is a precursor of coming and potentially disastrous events..
Maybe re-torque the head bolts. This works on Audi sometimes, I do not think the old V4 Ford engine would respond.

·
Registered
51 Posts
noxben said:
why is this coming out of my exhaust and it is running very rought and very rich?

thanks,

Ben Y.
So, what happened, noxben ??

·
Registered
156 Posts
The items I would suspect (in the following order):

1. Oxygen sensor - you can try unscrewing it a turn or two, brightening up the area under it and retightening. Expect to bust a few knuckles in the process. There should be a very low (electrical) resistance between the sensor body and a known good earthing point. You should get a 'check engine' light with this fault.

2. The MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor. It is a small black box mounted on the strut stiffener bar near the windscreen. There will be one electrical connector and a vacuum line. Check this vacuum line for leaks or cracks. This is the item that cured my rich running problem.

3. The IAT (inlet air temperature) sensor.
4. The thermostat.

Er rr... turbo engine, I assume?

·
Registered
461 Posts
My exhaust runs very rich somestime. I mean I get out of the car and I can smell it.....also when I am idiling I can smell the smallest hint of oil burning. About a monthand a half ago I noticed smoke coming out of my hood, not a lot but a small amount. Based on what I have read here I probably have a valve/headgasket leak. I wouls suggest after you drive the car open the hood an smell. If you don't smell smoke no problem. The smelling technique really helped me in determining that the smoke was not coming from the turbo( thank god) but instead was coming from behind the engine.

·
Registered
292 Posts
You should see the water that comes out of my exhaust!! :evil: What happens is the people at your local gas station oxidise the fuel. What this does is puts extra volume to the gallon> thus you are paying for air. Kinda like carbonation of the gas.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts