Saab Link Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
i have to insist not to go for the STI susspension...that has been their week point! their only weekpoint! i have heard the comparison of the evo handling like a golf cart and the STI handling like a cadi/boat....if your gunna upgrade just get some nice coilovers

·
Registered
230 Posts
You've got it a bit wrong...it has nothing to do with the suspension, rather extra weight of the 2.5 liter engine make the STi more front heavy and not as nimble as the Evo...also keep in mind that is only in reference to the EVO, the STi still handles way better than 99% of the cars on the road today. A 2.0 liter STi (JDM) willl out handle the 2.5 liter even though they have basically the same suspension.

The 2.5 liter motor is a necessary evil though, as subaru could never ger STi power levels out of US gas, the only physical difference between a 227hp US model and 250hp Japan engine Variable Valve timing, the rest is better gas allowing for mor agressive ignition timing. So trying to get a reliable 276hp+ out on 91-93 octane was impossible for subbie, hence the 2.5 (which sports lots turbo enhancements to the block).

How does mitsu do it with the Evo? That I dont have answer for other, than 130hp per liter is about the ragged edge for a factory turbo (i.e. just as reliable as other production cars) on street gas, so I guess evo's are just pushed much closer to the line

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
i wouldnt say that i was wrong...i was just stating something i have read/heard...and what i am saying is that a nice set of Tien coilovers and new sway bars will preform very well compaired to switching over to the STI susspension wich is probably more expencive.......just an opinion...

·
Registered
230 Posts
It's all about context, but I'm not concerned with how a 2.5liter STi handles vs anything, I am concerned with what is the best street set-up for a 2.0 liter Saabaru. If you read enough you'll find that STi is the best set-up available for a street wrx. Coil-over set-ups are awesome for track use and things like ride height adjustability and the ability to corner weight are great. But since I'm not looking for those features, I won't spend the extra money on a coil-over set-up. (about $1300 for the bottom of the line tien and sway bars vs $1200 for Sti) Tien does make nice very nice stuff, but if it came down to it, I would go with DMS as they are the cream of the crop(50mm wide struts!) but now your talking 2 to 3x the cost of the STi set-up.

As far as sway bars go, my plan is to just stiff up the stock rear with much stiffer links and mounts. The STi set-up is far more neutral than stock, but they acheive this by reducing the width of the front sway bar. There is virtually no body roll as the stiffer shocks and springs control it very well. Have you ever driven the snot out of an STi suspension wrx? It's a great balance, some stiffer lower suspensions will allow you to carry more speed around perfectly smooth corners, but throw some road chop into like you find in the NE, and you'll wish for more compliance (which stiff bars hurt).

If you really want to get intimate with the WRX, check out www.spdusa.com, Mike has more wrx knowledge in his pinky than most people who own them will every have.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Got it - LOVE IT! Picked it up this Sat and put about 500 miles on it this weekend...I still haven't been able to open her up all the way cause she's not broken in yet....but I'm having a lot of fun.

I made it all of 22.5 hours before I installed the kartboy short shifter. The shift feel is awesome now and I haven't even put the bushings in yet. The 16's are nice wheels, but the tires are insult to the chasis...oh well I'll deal for the winter and have something sticky for the summer.

The car looks even cooler in person than it does in pics.

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
congrats on the new car! and congrats on being one of the first to mod this new Saab! 8)

we need some pics of your new ride. Did you get an Aero?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Did I get an Aero? Is there any other kind :D ?

I'll try to take some pics this weekend.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Congrats on the new buy. Kinda makes me think I should have waited instead of buying the 9-5. I guess I'll just have to live vicariously through you. Make me happy.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
yes chad please please make us happy!! and take plenty of pics along the way!!! cant wait to see this thing turn into a beast!!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
i heard from someone that test drove the aero model and the non-areo model, and he said that the non-turbo one was faster.

~justin

·
Registered
230 Posts
The Kartboy shifter rocks, I heard it was the best for the subbies, so that's why I chose, also it's 130bucks including the bushings, way cheaper than factory option.

I like the 9-5 a lot, already having a nice 9KT, it wasn't worth getting rid of it and getting a new 9-5...if I could change one thing about my 9kt, that would be to make it awd....so the 9-2x made the difference to me.

The Linear is faster under 4000rpms and especially in automatic vs automatic...but in manual 5spd and in the full rev range the Aero blows it away easily.

I'll try to take pics as often as possible....I did so much on 9KT but recorded so little...I managed to record modifying the front doors top hold 4" speakers and look good and my passenger footweel mounted sub. If anyone is interested I'll post them.

The car will see many tasteful mods, with a focus and improving the areas that increase my driving enjoyment....oh and an audiophile stereo system.

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
saabguy said:
i heard from someone that test drove the aero model and the non-areo model, and he said that the non-turbo one was faster.

~justin
YOU MUST BE SHITTING ME.

I just drove a 165 HP 2.5i 9-2x and when you step on the gas, the engine revvs real loud, and the car does not go anywhere. It feels like it is broken or something....literally, no go whatsoever. what a joke!

·
Registered
230 Posts
You gotta put it in gear first....

But really the difference between the is like the difference between the old NA 2.3 and the older 2.0T....at the certain points the 2.3 would feel faster and wih an auto the 2.0T can bog down out of the boost range...this is compounded by the fact that the subbie engine shifts it power band 1000 rpm higher than the saab 2.0 and the 2.5 has more displacement than the 2.3

·
Registered
230 Posts
Here's the run down so far.....

Intake Silencer removed and replaces with smooth flow elbow
K&N Filter
Pro Pod Three gauge cluster (Boost/Oil Temp/Volt)
Pioneer deh 930
XM Radio
Custom 10" Sub mounted on top of spare tire (much more audio work to do....)
Kart Boy short shifter and bushing
Bridgestone Turanza LS-V tires to replace stock ubercrap re92's
MadDad Twin dump dp, 3rd cat eliminator, and 3" pipe to the stock rear muffler
STi Struts/Spring/Top Hat assemblies

That's it so far.

A crucial racing uppipe, rear strut brace, and some poly bushings are on the horizon. I'm at a point where I have some stuff I want to do but just don't have the garage access to do it, and it's very, very cold outside.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The DP made a huge difference, total power was effected nicely, as it would be going from 2 cats to one race cat and the wastegate got it's own exhaust path rather then hitting a brick wall like the stock step up. The biggest difference was boost coming on quicker and less of a feeling that you need to downshift on the highway. The Uppipe should yeild similair results.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts