Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a project that my local Saab dealer is working on. So far they have put some wild rims, and dropped the car a few inches, tinted the windows a bit... forgot what else they said they did. They are now going to begin to carry performance parts!

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
cool, i have been waiting for someone to start modding one of these...im pretty shure you can fit almost any WRX exhaust/engine part onto one....you can make that thing nutty!

·
Registered
729 Posts
I think that car looks phat.
But i would change the rims on it for some nice 18" hyperblack with a chrome lip :D

·
Registered
461 Posts
I also would have to admit it does look somewhat appealing. I just wish it "look" mor elike a saab then the wrx wagon, but you can read all about that on a diffrent thread. I would say though that I would great pride in placing that against a wrx and then kicking the wrx's butt. Cause you know the guy in the wrx would say, "Don't feel to great your car has the same engine as mine... your saab copied my car." For which you can reply, "YOu could say saab copied subaru, but they made a better car in doing so and that is why i won." Well that's my fantasy....if saab can take a popular car and make it better I am all for it. I guess I am not a biased anymore ..... SO I guess my view now shifts toward the SUV.

·
Administrator
668 Posts
haha yeah I think it looks nice but its just a WRX... sorta lost the saab flare with that AWD BS.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I was hoping to be the first...

I'm not getting my 9-2x for another two weeks but I already have a kart boy shifter and bushings and a drop in K&N...not bad for not having bought the car yet....

Texturk is correct on the wheels, I'm going for a black one and black with a polished lip is THE LOOK...but I'll stay with 16's as 18's add rotational mass, unsprung weight, and make the tires very expensive...plus I think I'll be happy enough with a stoptech stage two brake kit, which retains the factory calipers and rotor size...

·
Registered
461 Posts
Chad you might be the first person on this site to get a 9-2x. Glad to hear you allready have parts for it. In fact I have a chllanege for you. There are a lot of skeptics about this 9-2x and I am still slightly biased. The challenge is I want to see you make me stick my foot in my mouth. I bet you probably can too. You already sound like you have a head start. To tell the truth I am kinda excited to see what you can do with a 9-2x. Sure maybe you can do the same with the 9-2x engine as you can the wrx, but interior/exterior wise lets see.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Re: I was hoping to be the first...

Chad W said:
I'm not getting my 9-2x for another two weeks but I already have a kart boy shifter and bushings and a drop in K&N...not bad for not having bought the car yet....

Texturk is correct on the wheels, I'm going for a black one and black with a polished lip is THE LOOK...but I'll stay with 16's as 18's add rotational mass, unsprung weight, and make the tires very expensive...plus I think I'll be happy enough with a stoptech stage two brake kit, which retains the factory calipers and rotor size...
nuts - just nuts - awesome man

·
Registered
230 Posts
I've always liked the WRX but I thought it was ugly...plus I didn't want to leave the family....

I had my 92 9kt for 4 years, put over 80,000 on it and have driven hard enought to wet my own pants (yeah Vermont roads!) but I've also been spending more cash on it than I would a new car and it fundamentally it flawed...if I could change on thing about it, I would make it AWD.

Jump back one month ago and I have a car with 160K+ and whole crap load in mods and inrermittent boost issues...

In my garage I have a new tranny, a new turbo, a crazy clutch flywheel coming from group9, plans for a bigger intercooler and intake pipe and more...

At this point I decided I'm not sinking any more money into the car because I'm tired....

I've basically replaced everything on the car that there was to replace, meaning that I spent abour 80% of my time rebuilding and only 20% modding and no matter what I do, I'll stil spin my inside front tire around low speed turns UNLESS I drop another $1500 into an LSD and istallation...but then there are all these little issues with the car like the leaky hatch, ocassionally working sunroof, etc...

So now I'm going to start again with a car that needs nothing, I will only be getting under the hood by choice and I won't have to deal with 'stacked' repairs (while your replacing that, might as well do these)

So the plan for the 9-2x is simpler because it's fundamentally closer to what I want...

Interior....

Full stereo, mostly salvaged from my 9k, Pioneer 930 head, CDT audio for all speakers, amp is undetermined...amp and sub will be custom flush mount behind the rear wheel wells facing each other.

Three gauge pod inplace of clock

New Shift Knob

Mataching dead pedal.

CGlock on belt

I'm getting the leather interior so that's it.

Performance...

Kartboy shifter/bushing

Air intake silencer eliminator

Drop in K&N

Smooth bend intake pipes

Sti Intercooler

Borla Hush cat back exhuast

Whiteline strut braces front and rear

White line rear sway bar

Various whiteline poly bits on the suspension

By the spring...

Sticky ass tires on light weight wheels

For the future

Up pipe

High flow cat down pipe and high flow second cat

Approriate software to maximize engine flow mods

Farther future....

replace shocks and struts and mounts...maybe go the sti route

Stoptech stage 2 brake kit (once I burn through the stockers)

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
that sounds really cool- can't wait to see your project unfold! i think you will have the first 9-2x that makes people reconsider them if they were previously doubters....

That is also a main reason why I left my old Bimmers for a new Saab-- the whole stacked repair thing and doing more repairs than mods. Good choice! :wink:

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
tired of the leaky 9000 eh :lol: I know ALL about that too much.... but it looks like they redsigned the hatch hinges better in 91 (like a c900) so I'd of thought it'd be better. I agree with ya tho on the always fixing things - gets old. the 9k has stupid shit go bad all the time *cough* electrical *cough* But i still love em - and I will buy another (newer no doubt) but I too seek that "new car" that doesn't have all these issues. That's why I'm building my 89 SPG to like new - so I don't have ANY motor issues or electrical for that matter for a few years more then basic maintenance. But the 9-2X would be a fun car to own, after driving them. You got the Aero model right?? Those have a supurb steerting rack - the regular models are fair. And the turbo lag on the turbo's is insane - spool up time starting at 4,000 rpms.... Hope you get that adjusted, it would annoy the hell outta me not being able to spool up till that late in the power band. :!: :shock: Good Luck - can't wait to see what you do tho with it. Sounds like it's going to be a mean 9-2.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I don't know if I'll do another 9000, but I will definitely be building a c900 or two from the ground up...that's thekey thing though, not trying to seriously overhaul your daily driver with 9k I drove it some much that I actually was wearing through some of the original mods before I put others in....if you want an old car that runs and acts like new, you gotta take it of the road, no "i better finish this now so I can drive to work tomorrow" BS

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
its so weird to hear all of those mods going onto a saab..

but for the suspention i wouldnt go with the STI set up i read that it has it share of flaws...if you were gunna upgrade go for coil overs...may i suggest Tien...

i say do exhaust first and intake and IC but thats just me....dont do headers yet but do the up pipe down pipe and mid and muffler....just to rid of all the cats... youll be supprised at what the differance is...

·
Registered
230 Posts
When my buddy got his 2002 WRX, I MADE him get the sti suspension and short shifter....I was justing beating the snot out of it this weekend and the cars has a great heavy feel (the good kind of heavy) not a ton of understeer, especially when compared to a stock wrx set-up there is almost no body roll and the car stays composed when thrown very hard into a corner...he has put 55k on it and still drives well, though there is a clunk that might be a worn out strut mount...

I don't want to go to coilover as height adjustable doesn't really appeal to me...I don't see myself doing much more than auto-x and the occassional drag strip with this car, it won't see the track,especially since the bank will own a chunk of it for about 5 years...so things like the abiilty to corner weight the car and adjust ride height offer little to me...

I think I may end doing koni adjustables (love them on my 9kt) sti mounts and either sti or eibach springs.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
wow, that 9-2x looks really nice, but i definately think it would look better with a more agresive body kit, and maybe a shaved and seamless body, that'd be nice!

~justin

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Wow guess I missed this topic for awhile....

That car is amazing. All I have to say is HAA to all those that put down the 9-2X when they first saw it...Claiming it was ugly and blah blah. I loved this car since the beginning. Very nice style and overall flow of design...Amazing :D

·
Registered
461 Posts
I agree I was quite upset at the 9-2X when it came out. Since it is NOT purely a Saab. RCM remember saying that? Then you say this All I have to say is HAA to all those that put down the 9-2X when they first saw it...

:lol: :wink:

But I do remember you saying you thought it had some sophistication and style to it. Plus I just like giving you a hard time. Its like my new favorite thing. :wink:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts