Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When Paul (Dolmetsch) was going through the motor on my 88 SiS, he found that the head was missing oiler tubes. The car has 130,000 miles, and was apparently running fine (despite the missing oiler tube).

We assumed that the head and cams would have had damage from oil starvation and have replaced with a head from a 93.

He called me this morning to talk about the bottom end of the motor. The engine is out of the car right now and apart from the transmission. Considering their was an issue with the oil passages from the top end, he is concerned about the rod and main bearings, and wanted to know if we should do the bottom end while it's accessible.

He pulled the rod bearing on #4 and is going to run it by a machine shop today to see if he can get a second opinion. Will see what he comes back with. I don't think that the machinist will be able to tell much without the crank pulled, and we are not to that point yet.

Would you risk putting it back together and going, or is this a time bomb? Any estimate of typical Machine Shop costs to turn a crank and + cost of new bearings if this is an inevitable cost. Budget is a factor in my descision.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I'm not sure what oilers have to do with the bottom end. I thought they just kept the valve train lubricated? Perhaps them missing effects the oil cycle through the motor? Dunno.

You should probably check to make sure that the head that was on the car ever had oilers. I think '88 was the transitional year. It also could have been replaced with an internal-oiled head at some point. If the cam caps are slotted and have the black cam bolts with the channels then it is an internal oiling head. (BTW, the channeled cam cap bolts--black ones-- go toward the spark plug side of the cams. Don't mix them up.)

Likely the bottom-end diagnosis will be fine, but you should definitely replace all wear parts while you've got it apart anyway--seals, gaskets, rings, bearing and the like. No sense putting it back in the car just to have something fail in a year or two. I just redid my motor and it feels good to know that I shouldn't have to screw with it again any time soon.

I know that machine work is a lot cheaper down there than up here in the Northeast. Paul's knows these cars intimately, so I'm sure he knows what's up.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Paul said the head should have had oilers, and they just weren't there (I haven't seen the car since I bought it in May). I think he is being cautious about the effects on the bottom end, and I don't think he has seen them just missing before.

My gut was to reassemble as the bottom end is typically the least worry on these cars, and budget wise Dec is a bad time to add major cost.

I trust Paul, but he isn't sure if we really need to do this or not, that is why I am asking for 2nd opinions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts