Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here is the new thing going wrong now LOL, this morning when we went to leave Switzerland to come back home the car started fine (although the battery is getting weak, turns over slowish at first) but it had a definite miss on one cylinder, it wasnt a complete miss but there was 1 cyl not putting out its best, you could even hear it in the exhaust as a miss, it only did this until it was warm then all was ok. Plugs are new and properly gapped, also there is a tapping when cold as well dont know if its top end tap or bottom but it doesnt have that deep down noise a bottom end sounds like when going. Oh and by cold I mean from about 45F down, havent noticed the miss when warmer.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok now I am stumped, the car didnt misfire when started first thing early this morning but it wasnt too cold yet, later on after I got back home and the car cooled off again it was colder than in the early morning.......... I cant figure it out, only misfires at idle and not higher and its not a complete dead cyl cause it doesnt run THAT rough. I also noticed that the tappy noise is always there actually, it is louder when cold then is less noisy when warm.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
The tapping sound could be due to an exhaust leak at the manifold gasket, look for a thread by Cm452.

Misfire, maybe the intake air temp. sensor? I believe it was Aikmanson who had this fix the issue, and I'm going to try it with mine...

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I never would have thought of the IAT sensor!! Makes sense, I will check it out when I get outside later today. Oh and I REALLY hope its not an exhaust manifold gasket, if thats the case it will just get worse and I refuse to fix that one, the nuts on the studs for the manifold are one with the manifold now they are so rusted, it just looks like a round ball of rust where they are LOL

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Are you talking about the car in your Sig? A b2o6I? I really don't quite know what the b206 was but if its similar to a US spec 1994 b234i than I'd say get basic, Lets Talk "Motronic" not Trionic, Plug wires? Cap rotor? i've found that the Coil wire has failed or I should say fails frequently on 234i's, due to power steering fluid leaking onto it and the fact that it does 4 times more work than the other 4 wires it supplies current too. Got Codes? Etc.. Looking for an IAT on a 94 "I" car will puzzle you unless its a V6, Your car does have an IAT sort of, Its Called the air mass meter in your aplication. Check the inlet hose from the mass meter to the air inlet for cracks, or see if an O ring is missing from the air inlet to throtle body.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you talking about the car in your Sig? A b2o6I? I really don't quite know what the b206 was but if its similar to a US spec 1994 b234i than I'd say get basic, Lets Talk "Motronic" not Trionic, Plug wires? Cap rotor? i've found that the Coil wire has failed or I should say fails frequently on 234i's, due to power steering fluid leaking onto it and the fact that it does 4 times more work than the other 4 wires it supplies current too. Got Codes? Etc.. Looking for an IAT on a 94 "I" car will puzzle you unless its a V6, Your car does have an IAT sort of, Its Called the air mass meter in your aplication. Check the inlet hose from the mass meter to the air inlet for cracks, or see if an O ring is missing from the air inlet to throtle body.
Well there is an issue with getting codes, 1. there is no MIL light illuminated BUT we did have the shop hook up their Tech2, all it said was could not connect to computer sooooooo no luck getting any data out of the computer to see if there is anything at all, the only thing they could do was turn off the SRS light but got no data at all from the engine computer. 2. I am going outside right now (it stopped raining for the moment) and will check the hoses and wires real quick, yes my power steering also leaks all over the wire and everything below, need to get new steel/rubber lines. Here is info on the B206i Saab H engine - eNotes.com Reference Will be right back with info on the car...........

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok went out and looked and got wet in the process damn rain, my MAF only has one electrical hookup and no hoses/tubes on it and all the intake tubing looks and feels solid, I did the water test on the wires and there was no misfire and all were tight on the cap, I did take of my dizzy cap and it was clean still (I have to clean it about once a week, it gets fouled with oil from the leaking dizzy seal and tends to be hard to start then). One thing I did notice though was the wire coming out of the dizzy is soaked in oil (from the dizzy) could the sensor inside be fouled up too???

Pics attached......

Attachments

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK think I fixed it, and soooo simple, just wish it was a cheap fix LOL. Turned out to be my battery was just too far gone, it WOULD start the car (BARELY) but at idle the alt wasnt putting out enough to really power anything and charge the battery, I believe this lead to reduced voltage at the coil and therefor reduced spark. I replaced the battery cause it finally was going to leave me stranded soon and since then all electrical issues are gone!! I even think I had a bad/shorted/dry cell in the battery since "fully" charged it only had 11.2 volts, since that I am watching the output of the alternator to make sure its not overcharging and boiling the water out of the new battery. New battery cost me 180 Euro :(( thats about $216 USD :( I remember buying 2 BIIIIG batteries for my old F250 Diesel and it only cost me $110 for both!! Watch out USA, keep going with the way you are in policy and budget you will be like alot of Europe!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts