Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
got my first panel welded up.i drilled 1/4 holes in the new panel so i could spot weld and try to keep it looking original.also cut out the offending rocker panel and am very pleased with the lack of rust that i found.
spent some time on the gearbox,have all but three bearings that i need for it.you can see the one that fell apart and the water line[trans had water in it when i drained].didnt effect anything other then this shot bearing and oil slinger.i,m stuck on the rear pinion bearing,need to get the proper puller.i have found so far on ebay and pretty cheap too ,these bearings.
skf 6208 c3
skf 6204
skf 6007
skf 6304 nr[nr stands for snap ring].[this one i found at a bearing supply online].
skf 6005
i paid 100 bucks for that rear pinion bearing but the others were less then ten and some came in pairs so i have a little parts stock building up.
the last three i,m afraid have been difficult to find .the needle bearings look fine so ill leave them alone.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
Looking good so far! This is getting me thinking of putting my 95 up on jack stands and starting the same ;) But I'm not ready yet.... I have it in the garage on concrete, but there is little room around it to actually work - and it's now cold outside, and snow is nearing the area. Where are you located anyways? I need to do some very similar repairs on my beast myself. Personally I have no welder, but I have access to 2....or 3. I also have no real experiance with a welder, I want to get some practice in a little before I tempt fait and my luck with the vintage. This would be a fun winter project however..... I guess I shold locate some scrap metal.

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
This summer (hopefully) I plan on replacing almost my entire floor of my 96. I'm going to be sure to document the entire thing... and I'm no welder:|
Awesome - sounds good to me :} Where are you anyways? Let me know if you locate any NOS floor pans or any vintage Saab metal for that mater. :D

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the parts ashcraft makes are pretty good ,i think the sonett trunk floor is only 300 dollars.i got a small discount because we ordered enough parts for two sonetts.some parts are not in stock they are made to order so if you order more then one you can save a few bucks.i not to sure about the plans to make the parts.you can get the plans on installation though.
i think the sonett really lends it self to inexperienced welders as my self,most of the parts are flat sheet metal,with tin snips and a sheet metal break you can make just about anything the sonett would need.

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
the parts ashcraft makes are pretty good ,i think the sonett trunk floor is only 300 dollars.i got a small discount because we ordered enough parts for two sonetts.some parts are not in stock they are made to order so if you order more then one you can save a few bucks.i not to sure about the plans to make the parts.you can get the plans on installation though.
i think the sonett really lends it self to inexperienced welders as my self,most of the parts are flat sheet metal,with tin snips and a sheet metal break you can make just about anything the sonett would need.
Agreed - same really applies to both the 96/95's as well. They are rather simple cars - but as a time saver and to ensure a proper fit it would be nice if replacement panels were more available for a lesser cost. I did know about Jack's parts - but I always felt his prices were too high for the value of these cars. It's like charging MB prices for a Toyota.... lol I'm sure the quality he produces is very nice however.

I will probably end up in the do-it yourself route making panels as needed to save a few hundo's. No reason not to - I am not building a show car, just a solid car which can last another 30+ years :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
floor ,door frame,decal.

done with the floor .took a spare door apart to see what was involved.not to hard .this spare turns out to be in pretty good shape.
found the decal on the door skin.

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
playing with my shifter .

I dont have many parts of the interior for this car,rotten carpet,falling headliner, mice ate holes in the rear panels, seats shot,cracked center console.saved the door panels[no speaker holes] and the one that goes in the rear trunk. so thought this would blend well.ill do some other parts as well ,fuel filler for one and handbrake lever.i want to repaint my dash and this is good practice,you need to lay the paint on thick to get visible wrinkle.a little sun light helps form the wrinkles too.the moto lita hub is wrinkle as well,what do you think of that corvette horn button ?its a rare moto lita part found on ebay UK.

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
little note on this bearing.its made by SKF and has a different part # then the ***.
this one is skf 240426 the inner race is correct ,3305.the *** # is 514838.for some reason this one has no snap ring but its made for it .i suppose someone pilfered it for some other repair.i will just have to be careful with mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sonett one inspired handbrake lever.

modified my lever to look like a sonett one lever,goofed up.i should have measured both sides but i drilled through thinking that it would line up ,well it didnt.cant really tell though.I was looking at a sonett one ,i think the red one and its holes were a little off center so i guess i almost made an exact replica.

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
template for carbon fiber door cards.

my cards are shot as well as the upper molding.making a pattern for a pair of carbon fiber door panels .this panel will be one piece and works left or right plus you dont have to worry about it getting wet.I'm going to put little saab 96 like trash bins as there is just a blank space in that area of the door[the cut out],a coke can fits in there perfect.theres a photo of the new hardware and greenlee dies to make holes. they are expensive but make a nice hole in anything.

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
scratches in door glass.

heres why there are vertical scratches in the door glass,upper trim screws drove in too far.
plus i got the dash out and realize that there are no extra holes in it .bonus.
you can see how the texture faded in the florida sun.

Attachments

·
Registered
433 Posts
heres why there are vertical scratches in the door glass,upper trim screws drove in too far.
plus i got the dash out and realize that there are no extra holes in it .bonus.
you can see how the texture faded in the florida sun.
Someone replaced the screws with too-long ones at some point?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hey jimbo whats up ? merryxmas.out of class for over a week now so i,m onthis car like a fly on shit.i want to do a bit of welding today but this is the day i get sent to the store a dozen times.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.