Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble removing the black backing on my grill to replace it with mesh. Does anyone know how to properly remove it? Thank you.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Yea there are a series of tabs that hold the chrome to the backing....most of these will break when removing the backing, however there are numerous ways to reattach.

·
Registered
134 Posts
if your grill is like old 9-3 you will have a bunch of click tabs on the top and bottom pull away the bottom ones first in order to do this you will need to let i bend quite a bit but use your judgement how much so you dont crack the grill then once you have all them out start prying the tops ones out and it will slowly push itself apart and youll have them in two pieces

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So it is possible!!!! Yay thats some relief lol. So you have to brake the tabs off in order to get it out then? I also have to remove the one tab behind the Saab logo? All right I guess I'll get at it once the weathers nicer! Thanks for the help.

1999 Saab 9-5
106,000km's
http://members.cardomain.com/jedi_master58[/img]

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, once i get the black backing off and insert the mesh, do I have to put the black backing back on? Another question, how do I properly remove the orange thingy in my side corners to make them clear?

1999 Saab 9-5
106,000km's
[urlhttp://members.cardomain.com/jedi_master58[/url]

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
use a heat gun or a hair dryer to make the plastic softer when you pry it up
i used an embosing gun, which gets really hot really fast, so mine got realllly flexible, so careful with that, and yes, you need the black part back on
that is how it stays on the car

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
I didn't make the tutorial, I just found it. I'll email the owner and see if we can copy it on the forum.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Just did my 9-5 grill last night

Hey man, there are a series of tabs at the bottom which are unnecessary to keep intact (part of the chrome fronting), and the saab center logo is a tab, along with two additional tabs to its right and left. Also, along the top are a series of tabe that are easily released with a flathead. Once you remove the chrome front, cut the mesh to fit behind it, and fix it to the black backing with twist ties. Then replace the chrome front, reattach tabs and saab logo, and you got yourself a sweet $25 upgrade.

Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts