Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my viggen's audio system is getting quite the upgrade tomorrow. . i am upgrading the 4'' in the dash and putting components in the empty door slots and mounting the tweeters in the door mirror covers.. and also upgrading the 6x9s in the back..

i cant wait. . has anyone done anything similar in the 2 door coupes.. im hoping its not too much but with the components i can do so much tweeking and make it sound pretty much however i want with the new kenwood receiver.

Also does anyone have anything good to say about the memphis audio lineup?? im pretty new to them but my local audio guy swears by them.. and they have a lifetime warrenty.

ill try and post some pics tomorrow when it is complete.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
they are a good middle of the road manufacturer..... but it really just depends on what you like. Don't just listen to the sales people.... many times they will sell what they get a bigger comission off of, go by what you like the sound of the best!!

A friend uses all memphis stuff, he loves it

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
...and putting components in the empty door slots ...
Curious. I thought Viggens all had the 'upgraded' 6 speaker system. Mine certainly had OEM speakers in the doors (replaced with Polk).

I recently replaced the 4's and 6x9's with boston acoustic, and I'm very pleased. I'm sure you'll love the MA stuff!

Chris

·
Registered
393 Posts
Mine came with 4 speakers, stock,no amp or door woofers.

I upgraded to 6x infinity speakers
tweeters in the front, normal speakers in doors, and 6x9's in back
I had to grind away at the back beside the gastank to get the 6x9's to fit and took me 8 hours tofigure itall out cuz it was my first time to install but its 100% better and a great improvement.

I had it for a while but was unhappy without heavy bass so I upgraded my deck to a 1din with a filler from Genuine Saab (thx nick :]).

Wired up a 12" woofer with a 600w two channel amp in trunk which took me 8 hours aswell cuz I'm an idiot, and I ran the power wire through the driver side door, had to bang away to make it fit through the cavity, not pretty but hey it works.

Anyways, it all turned out great, my sound system is banging now & I actually have to set my speakers to the rear a bit since theyre so sharp. :)

Oh, and I wired my door speakers to my front tweeter speaker wires so it would be controlled as the "front".

lmk if u got any questions or something cuz I pretty much know how to do this with my eyes closed now haha.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
all installed it sounds AMAZING. . and it turns out that the viggen's do have the 6 way system my door woofers just werent working or being powered by the factory amp. . my install guy was pretty amazed by it.. all the speakers after 11 years were in horrible condition and actually seperated from the cones. . all except the dash.

Its funny because after 19 years of use on my 91 9k . . the original clarion speakers were in excellent condition.

But the Component speakers in the doors and tweets in the mirror covers make the system sound amazing in the coupe. Now i just need to get my amp and subs installed and ill be all set. :)

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
LOL..... yea the stock saab stuff sucks now.... unfortunantly I am still using it.... blown door speakers and all. I hope to finally redo my stereo this winter, use some of my old audio stuff in the garage.

Been radio shopping.... any pics of the radio in your dash?

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Responding to the Memphis query, yes they make some pretty solid amps got an older one in my c900 and very pleased so far. Not sure of the speaker line though, I usually stick with Boston Acoustics or MB Quart.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts