Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, i know a guy who has a Evo, that he got not to long ago. He put a k&n filter on it since he got it.
Well, we were cruising down the road and he was behind me then he pulls up next to me. We were doing 40mph when he pulled up on me.
So i drop it to second gear and i held it.
We both punched it at the same time. Then i started to pull on him. We raced until the end of my 3rd gear. I looked back and he was like 1/2 a car behind mine.
I put on my hazards :D (he got pissed)
Then we caught a light. I didn't want to race him off the light cause he would smoke me, but he was giving me the hit, so i took the challange.
The light turned green, and i took off, of course i spun through 1st gear and half of 2nd(damn 15" stockers) by the end of 2nd gear he was 1 car ahead of me so i stopped.
That was my fun for the night.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
you challenged an evo 8?? are you dumb?! those things are crazy

what type of car do you have, and what mods?

~justin

·
7,595 Posts
I took on an evo 8 from a dead stop at a light once. I only lost by about 4 car lengths. hey, that's really good for me! I drive a C-900... :lol: it's notorious for being one of the hardest cars to get a good standing start out of, especially when they have a lot of power.

·
Administrator
668 Posts
i rape EVOs at tope end... he is not crazy just has balls

·
Registered
361 Posts
Yeah, stock Viggens will make Evo's look slow from a roll. But Viggens, along with most Saabs, aren't too quick from a stop. Then again ... AWD isn't the easiest thing to launch either. I've beaten two Evo's at the drag strip from a standing start because they drove so bad that they ran high 15's. :lol: I guess they're only as quick as the driver eh? Saabs are EASY to drive, anyone can take a Viggen into the low 15's, many Evo drivers (two that night) can't get below 15.5 ... kinda funny huh? The crowd thought so. :D

Adrian~

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Saab's aren't necessarily THAT easy to drive.

I've blown a clutch and a tranny because of the loose shifting. Not to mention you have to suffice for the torque steer and feather the clutch to get the correct launch without tire spin. So with upgrades, Saabs become easier to drive, but definately not stock... unless its an automatic ;)

I think AWDs are easiest to drive because you always get traction and power at all four wheels. Which is why modded Talons/Eclipse GSXs or so hard to beat from launch, not to mention WRXs and EVOs. Of course if your starting from a roll, and you don't know where your power band is, or you don't shift at redline, then your run isn't going to be that good.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
i drace an evo for fun....my friends got a WRX and we are at it all the time...
freeways i smoke him, from stop he will win...but im still hangin on not to far behind...

are the
eclips/talon gsxs ratio for awd 10% rear and 90% front....

thats what i heard

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
no, you are wrong, it's 30% rear, 70% front, i know, my friend has one, and i just asked him, his thing is crazy fast, tsi awd, damn....

~justin

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had fun racing him, for those who don't know i have a 99 9-3 coupe(Look at my webpage for mods)
Most awd cars are slow on the expressway.

What helped me the most was the weather, it was a little colder out and my car screams when its cold out.
All in all, i love those cars and sti's also.

·
Registered
2 Posts
no way you could keep up with a evo

i just traded in my 03 evo for a 2003 9-3 arc 6 speed and it dosent compare with the speed. I had a dyno run of 293 whp on pump gas and 354 whp on 100 octain that i mixed with some toloune. i love my saab and i have always loved them but dont be stupid and try to race one of japans top cars.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
to each their own man - welcome back to the good side :lol: Even tho a Stock Evo might be able to take a Stock Saab - try a Tuned Saab against one 8) What was the 0-60 on the Evo 8? In anycase - enjoy yourself with the Saab man - and enjoy TSL! Comfort isn't a just a Luxury - it's a Saab. :p

·
Registered
88 Posts
Move over EVO - Viggen coming through!!

pic of me putting a little pressure on a modded EVO.

·
7,595 Posts
well we won't have to worry about Mitsubishi being around for too much longer with the way things are going with them :roll:

I was quite amused when Daimler Chrysler refused to enter into the 6.4 billion "bail out" Mitsubishi was requesting. figured it was over then. now that all their top executives have all been arrested on a laundry list of felony charges for covering up recalls, I don't see any way they are ever going to be able to pull it out.

http://www.washtimes.com/upi-breaking/20040424-101204-6473r.htm

http://www.iht.com/articles/524353.html

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Re: no way you could keep up with a evo

saabagain said:
I had a dyno run of 293 whp on pump gas and 354 whp on 100 octain that i mixed with some toloune.
are you talking about the evo or the arc? :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
the evo

that was on the evo i wish it was on the arc, all my friends with evo's s4's sti's all try to race me now but i'm all set. i just call them from my cars built in phone and they shut up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts