Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys are probably familiar with the SMBC design commonly used for T-7 applications. I tried it on my 2000 Aero automatic and it sucked. Well I have the 2003 with a manual now and BSR stage one, and you might as well call it MBC because I was able to dial in basically any boost I wanted. The story goes, you aren't supposed to use the boost controller to increase boost, but only to increase turbo response eliminating "BPC delay". The T7 engine will get cranky with any extra boost. But of course I'm greedy so I wanted to dial it up and see what happened. First and second gear, the ECU is set to limit boost, so I would get fuel cuts if I floored it....no problem, at half throttle boost comes just into the red in first gear and halfway into the red in second. Third and beyond, I dialed up enough to almost pin the needle and the car took off like a rocket. I only did this one time and didnt go through more than one gear at full throttle. There were no check engine lights, no fuel cuts in the higher gears, none of the typical drawbacks of using a MBC on a T7 engine. I suspect it's the software having a more leniant set of acceptable parameters. I plan to reinstall a better device, possibly a dual stage boost controller for the lower and upper gears when I get my downpipe/exhaust.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Problem as Well

I also have a 2000 Aero automatic and tried the SMBC. Constantly received the CEL no matter how much or little I dialed in the boost controller. Didn't really feel any noticeable difference in spool up time. Took the boost controller off and have been happy ever since. I would rather go with an ECU upgrade vs. the boost controller. Now in a T5 system like my old 9-3, the boost controller was a big improvement.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts