Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
OK, I'll say it: I don't get it. It looks like a white car, only the paint isn't shiny, and the hood is the wrong color.

My $.02. If you like it, rock on.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
^+1

If I didn't know better I'd think it was a beat 9-3 with trashed paint and a primered hood. I just don't think these cars have aggressive enough body lines to make matte colors work. Also seems to me like white in particular would be really hard to visually differentiate from just being a dirty car or whatever.

However, it looks like you did a great job with the wrap. And it may just be one of those things that gets lost in translation between reality and a photo on the internet.

Not for me, but keep it up! :)

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
sorry to jump on the bandwagon, but i really dont get it. nice job wrapping it, but from a distance it looks like either

a car primed to go back to black like the hood
or
a white car with such a trashed paint job all the clear coat is gone

matte colors work well with darker tones. white.. not so much.

good work but not my cup of saab.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Although (and sorry for the threadjack), to the OP, I have an enclosed 6x12 trailer that I use to haul racebikes and it looks like sh*&. It's too bad you are in VT - I'd love to just wrap it. I mean, it's just a big box, so to someone who knows what they're doing (you!), it would be easy!

I also wonder if people with rusty cars would wrap some of the rusty areas. I might know someone with a vehicle like that :banghead:

·
Super Moderator
6,726 Posts
White hood, lowered, decent wheels would make it better.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Although (and sorry for the threadjack), to the OP, I have an enclosed 6x12 trailer that I use to haul racebikes and it looks like sh*&. It's too bad you are in VT - I'd love to just wrap it. I mean, it's just a big box, so to someone who knows what they're doing (you!), it would be easy!

I also wonder if people with rusty cars would wrap some of the rusty areas. I might know someone with a vehicle like that :banghead:
coming from someone that use to lay vinyl on window displays let me just say that a big flat box would be much harder than a car. getting it flat without bubbles on that is not an easy thing to do.

·
Registered
139 Posts
If you finish off the hood matte white it will look 100% better!

Good job w/ the wrap. They wanna charge me $1500 to wrap my Viggen...

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
White hood, lowered, decent wheels would make it better.
I agree.

I think it actually looks pretty good, but with stock 15's and the black hood, it looks like it's not cared for to someone that doesn't know. I really like the CF treatment on the mirrors.

Put some nice wheels on it and I think more people will get it.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Thinking leaving the door handles black might help the contrast too.

And also yes, hood white and better wheels and I think it would look much better.

Like everyone said though, wrap looks like it was nicely done!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Appreciate all the comments guys, positive or negative

Just to clarify a few things...

door handles were silver not black so I had to wrap them, If I come up with some black vinyl I will redo them.

Those are 16" wheels, not 15
I have some 17" viggen rims I have to re-finish, still need tires though.
It's also still only March, and I'm in So. VT, not really up for putting summer wheels on yet, another month or so.

I would LOVE to do the hood, but when I got the vinyl about 3 years ago I didn't measure it out, so I ended up not having enough for the hood. The vinyl is easy to come by, but it was laminated with an Arlon matte laminate they don't make anymore, so matching the matte with something else would be really tough, and expensive.

@BuHuSPG; I have wrapped dozens upon dozens of trailers, they go really quick if most of the hardware (door handles/hinges) are off. Depending on the material used, it should only take about 8 hours. Any rusty spots would need a quick sanding and some cheap paint.
It would be a good reason to swing down to PA, maybe even for Carlisle!

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Like others said nicer wheels and a white hood would make the car look 10x better. The wrap job looks spot on though, good job.

My e36 body has seen better days clear coat failure and what not so I've been thinking about spraying it in matte white plasti dip this summer. My friend sprayed his e24 olive green with the plasti dip car kit. It came out really well, especially considering the cost.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Hahah it's a great car especially since its on air ride. He's been toying with the idea of a turbo m50 swap. Should be pretty cool if he goes through with it

1 - 18 of 18 Posts