Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had replaced original MAF with a CARDONE reman unit and just shy of a year the ECU posted a DTC indicating Fuel mix too rich (very strong fuel smell from exhaust). This coincidently happened after upgrading to Taliferro's K&N open air filter. I carefully cleaned the MAF electronic sensor with CRC and awaiting results. There has been talk that K&N gause based filters have oils that can get to the MAF screen.:confused:

Has anyone had similar problems that can offer advice? Can there be any other contributor to a rich fuel mix?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Fuel pressure regulator, coolant temp sensor, inlet air temp sensor.

The rich mixture code almost never pops up in the absence of other codes, is that really the only fault that set?

Drew

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
K&N filters come already pre-oiled.
Don't oil them until you clean them for re-use, and then use a VERY LIGHT coat of the special oil.

yes, it has been discussed many times the possibility of the oil fouling the MAF

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks guys -
Here is what I have found:
There is claim (based on extensive K&N high profile tests) that the contaminant that could negatively affect the MAF's performance is silicone often found as an MAF electronics insulating substance and also the gases that remain after vehicle shuts down (i.e. Crank Case and Evaporative Canister systems).

Linky with video doc: K&N Response to Mass Air Flow Sensor Concerns

In my case, after CRC cleaning the one year old CARDONE remaned MAF, I have restored some of its performance but am still noticing a RICH mix - with the help of a very soon to be replaced leaking Flex Pipe!. I will be replacing my current MAF with another CARDONE reman this week expecting full recovery.

Is there any data stream documentation of rich - lean / lean - rich and fuel trim parameters I can compare with what I am reading off the ECU to determine where I am in all this???

Thanks All - hope this posting help others as well :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts