Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the next few months I'm really making the push to move out west. Just out of curiosity what should I look into as far as getting my car ready for a 2000 mile haul. what would be the maximum limit as far as what I can tow for a trailer with the vehicle?

·
Registered
12,348 Posts
1000lb for a trailer w/o brakes. Getting a trailer going won't be a problem....stopping is a different story.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Well - for ref.

1995 9000 "Aero" Automatic (3100lbs) - Towing a 1986 9000 (2900lbs) from D.C. Suburbs to Huntingdon Valley PA

Got up to speed cautiously and slowly - maintained 60MPH no problem, did not crack 70MPH - but I needed about 4 car lengths to make any SAFE casual stops really. Stopping truely is the "hardest" part of towing without trailer brakes with a Saab. If you have a panic stop more then likely it'll slow down alright, but it'll end up pushed into w/e you were trying to avoid.

Given - a 1000lb trailer is less weight - empty - it's all up to what you put into it. I think 2000 total weight would be OK for a long distance tow w/out trailer brakes. Pack light!

Don't forget any weight you will have packed into your car itself too - that counts too.

·
Registered
130 Posts
holy crap!

wouldn't have thought of pulling a car with another...thats a lot of weight.

FYI. UHaul has an issue with renting trailers to people with Saabs because of the low hitch. you might have to get a hitch that curves up to give you the ground clearance. or pick up the trailer with a differ vehicle.

i've pulled a 4x5 loaded way down for quite a difference. Just check your hitch rating, drive and stop slowly until you get the hang of it.

Though, it is a good reason to have a garage sale.

-I just recently drove past (cautiously) a pick-up towing a trailer that was fishtailing. That shit can get you and others killed faster than a rope from a hanging tree.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts