Saab Link Forums banner

mac or pc?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I've had various Windows and Linux PC's in the past. Now I'm down to an old laptop running Ubuntu and a new laptop running Windows 7.

IMO If you're not doing some type of intensive multimedia on a Mac, you just bought a really expensive internetting machine.

·
c900 Grognard
3,713 Posts
need more linux e-ballers ITT.

I like PCs better, for me. I think macs are great for their whole outlook "it just works," but if you know how to make a PC do what you want it to, they are much more versatile.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I like Macs for their editing programs, but PC's for normal use. (Since they cost less) If Macs didn't cost what they cost, I'd be using Macs full time.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm linux and mac. but I need a new computer, I have a 2005 iBook G4, and it's getting way too slow and old. I'm thinking of getting a windows 7 laptop, and dual booting Linux Mint or Ubuntu with Windows 7. (I just need Windows 7 for iTunes and some Windows exclusive apps I'd like to run)

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
yeah I should have put in linux, mac and pc, and all three choices in the poll. sorry guys...
Nah, PC or Mac is probably good enough.

What are you trying to find out? Actual OS preference?

Or more who's in favor of a closed business and development model that *cough* costs twice as much while using basically the same consumer grade hardware vs. an open business and development model that's clearly more flexible and effective with pricing that's half at the consumer level and is scaleable enough for enterprise class customers?

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
calling poisonbeef.....calling poisonbeef
Somewhat of a Mac guy....

Hmm... the list of computers I have had.

486 at 66mhz, 8mb ram, 250mb hd, DOS, windows 3.11
Intel PIII (?) at 333mhz, 64mb ram, 4.2gb hd, windows 95/98
AMD thunderbird at 1.0ghz, 256mb ram, 60gig hd, ME/XP
AMD Barton 2500 overclocked to 2.1ghz (?), 2gb ram, 120gb hd x2, 80gb x2, XP (still own)
Sony Vaio laptop 2.8ghz intel, 512 ram, 60gb hd, XP (still own)
AMD2200 at something, 512ram, 60gb HD (free) (still own)
g4 mac tower, OSX 10.2, slow (free) (still own)
iMac g5 OSX 10.4, (semi-free) (still own)
MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.1ghz, 2gb ram, 500gb hd, OSX 10.6 (still own)
10" Asus EEE dual booting ubuntu and XP (still own)
MacBook Pro 13" Core2 Duo, 2. something, 4gb ram, 250gb hd (wife's) (wife still has)

Whats your computer history?

There, so a little of each. I like OSX, I like ubuntu, I liked XP, hated vista and have limited experience with windows 7. Also, windows ME was just peachy as long as you shut it down every at least every 6 hours and kept it up to date.

My wife fell in love with the macbooks because of the track pads, even more so on the newest MBP. No other laptops that we could find had trackpads and keyboards that felt this nice.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Nah, PC or Mac is probably good enough.

What are you trying to find out? Actual OS preference?

Or more who's in favor of a closed business and development model that *cough* costs twice as much while using basically the same consumer grade hardware vs. an open business and development model that's clearly more flexible and effective with pricing that's half at the consumer level and is scaleable enough for enterprise class customers?
What I have liked, and still liked about Apple and OSX is that most of their stuff just works. Having played a lot with both, and fixing many a many windows machines for software issues, I like that the two macbooks here just keep working.

That said, this MBP seems to not like hard drives (on number 3 or 4, granted I keep buying the cheapest ones...). Also, I killed its dvdrom 4 years ago and just took it out, so installing OSX has been a challenge.

There is a reason HP is getting out of the consumer market for computers, at the price people want them for these days they just cant make them that cheap and still make a profit. Apple makes a profit because they figured out what people wanted and said this is what we want for it, pay it or go away.

Also, I for one think we are officially in the post PC era. I think that most homes will one day phase out the home PC and have other internet devices. The day will come.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Software developers are pushing real hard for externally hosted applications in general, much easier to control, mine for advertising, etc.

But I actually don't think we'll be getting internet devices in the future, maybe as a brief intermediary step, but I expect that on the hardware side nano tech will deliver as promised and we'll have processing power almost beyond imagination that can be packaged into almost anything and will be so power efficient that it'll be able to run off of scavenged ambient power sources. You'll be able to carry around your phone/handset thingy (or implant!) and have all the processing power you could want. Then you just sync with whatever input/output device that you want to interact with.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
486 at 66mhz, 8mb ram, 250mb hd, DOS, windows 3.11
Intel PIII (?) at 333mhz, 64mb ram, 4.2gb hd, windows 95/98
AMD thunderbird at 1.0ghz, 256mb ram, 60gig hd, ME/XP
AMD Barton 2500 overclocked to 2.1ghz (?), 2gb ram, 120gb hd x2, 80gb x2, XP (still own)
Sony Vaio laptop 2.8ghz intel, 512 ram, 60gb hd, XP (still own)
AMD2200 at something, 512ram, 60gb HD (free) (still own)
g4 mac tower, OSX 10.2, slow (free) (still own)
iMac g5 OSX 10.4, (semi-free) (still own)
MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.1ghz, 2gb ram, 500gb hd, OSX 10.6 (still own)
10" Asus EEE dual booting ubuntu and XP (still own)
MacBook Pro 13" Core2 Duo, 2. something, 4gb ram, 250gb hd (wife's) (wife still has)

and just so you're all aware....he does operate the pentagon....

.....he does have "the button".

:)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts