Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone would like to have a tutorial how to install lowering springs let me know and ill make it up soon if thirs no rush though ill have it up in a week or so check back
peace

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would love a tutorial for sport springs. I have a set of eibachs sitting in my garage. I also have the caster corredtion kit. I've changed springs on a jeep, but I'm not too sure about doing it on a saab, so tons of pics would be great. But, there is no hurry. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Ok.. Here goes...

This was my experience installing rear springs and shocks.

Cut open the shock tower access flaps in your trunk.

Loosen the wheel nuts.

Jack up the back of your car.

Remove wheels.

Put 2 jacks stands under the rear axel.

Undo lower shock mounts. Axel should fall to jack stands.

Climb in trunk and undo top shock mounts. Retain rubber bushings.

Install lower top shock bushing on new shock.

Lower axel until bottom of springs clear. Springs should be held to upper rear mounts by bump stops.

Pull down on bump stops and remove springs.

Remove bump stops from old springs and install on new springs. This is a
total pain in the ass and will require a lot of leverage and lubricant. Use KY Gel as petroleum lubes may damage rubber stop

Using 3M auto putty to seal the upper shock mount, install new shocks to upper shock mount.

Put new springs in upper seats using bump stops to hold them in place.

Slowly jack up the rear axel until bottom of springs touch or bottom of shocks touch.

Rotate springs until they seat properly.

Lift rear axel to seat the shocks and install shocks into lower shock mounts.

Put wheels back on. Thead bolts.

Lower car, torque bolts.

You are done.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
900 and 9-3 spring instructions

REAR SPRINGS INSTRUCTIONS
Ok well I will start with the back springs becouse i had it done in about 15min you simply raise the back end then take off both tires
Once you have the car up on jack stands put a jack under the axil and rise it up a bit till you can undo the bottom of each shock
when you have them both disconnected then lower the axil down till you can slide out both spring you need a bit of room to lower the axil down enough if you dont have a lift then you must remove the rubber piece in the spring that mounts up on top of it
For this you can take the spring and place it sideways in a vise and clamp it down just a bit so it holds it snug
its good to do this step with 2 people get silicon spray and a pry bar spray the rubber piece completely then take the pry bar and slide it between the spring and push the rubber stopper up and out have the second person hold the rubber as you will only be able to push it half way then move the bar over 45 degrees and push on it again while they pull and it should pop rite out this should only take a minute or so till it pops out
then get the new spring and once again coat the rubber with silicon spray set the sring on a bench then simply with a little bit of power push the stoper back into the new spring
then you are ready to install then new springs
put them both into place and raise the axil until you are abel to put both shocks back on then lower till they bottom out then lower the car and the rear springs are all set
that is my explination if anything doesnt make sense then just ask me

FRONT SPRING INSTRUCTIONS
OK now the front springs they are a little bit more difficult first remove the wheel the take off the caliper and hang it from the spring (this will be changed when you remove the sturt) then disconnect the bolt from the drive axil
to remove the sensor for abs you can either undo a screw and pull out the magnet or unplug it a little ways up the wire removeing it is better though so it will be out of the way but if it wont come off the other way will work next is to remove the upper and lower ball joints remove the nuts then get a large pry bar and a large hammer this is the part that takes to people have one person push down on the lower joint the on the other side have the person take a hard swing and hit rite on the side of were the ball join is in make sure they have good aim so they dont hit the wrong piece it should pop out with one or two good hits do the same with the top just be carefull it is much easier to brake the remove the top three bolts on the sturt and pull it out you can take the caliper and place it on the drive shaft just be carefull it doesnt fall
compress the srping and remove the washer and trust bearing this is important to make sure you remember how everything came off and goes on the exact same way go back and place the strut back up in the car and put all 3 bolts on losely then reconect the driveshaft to the strut and place the bolt on their so it wont slide out put all the ball joints back in place and start tightning them down then tightn the top three nuts under the hood then the drivesaft hock up the anti lock brake sensor again reconnect the caliper and you are all set get the car aligned you will probaby need a camber kit witch i am waiting for i will have a discription and pictures of that as well i would have better picturs of this process but i had a limited amount of time and did not know how long it would take me over all though it was bout 1.5 hours
if you have some skill and the right tools but it is not to hard of a job just make sure you pay attentien and it should go pretty good any questions with this as well just ask me and i will try to describe it better if this is not good

·
Registered
27 Posts
Can you guys tell me where a central location is to jack up the back of the car without damaging it? In the manual it only shows the two locations on the side of the car and the one in the front as jacking points.
Also, about how much did the spring compressor cost? I just received my set of intrax springs today, and I've never taken a suspension apart, so I a little nervous about it. Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts