Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2003 9-3 has Xenon headlights. And for the third time in approximately 12 months, my Right Low Beam Failure message came on this week.

It's not the bulb nor the ballast. (We tested that by swapping them with the properly working equipment on the left side.) Dealer said it was the Headlight Control Unit.

I replaced the HCU, but it was during the height of what I'll call the "Saab replacement part crisis" in 2012 and the dealer struggled to find the part. Four months later, the right low beam message appeared -- and the dealer declined to replace the HCU, saying that they weren't honoring any warranties on Saab parts because of the bankruptcy. (I always wondered if that HCU was new or used. Maybe from a junkyard. They wouldn't tell me where they purchased it.)

After the second failure, I found another Saab dealer, but this time I purchased the HCU from eEuroparts. They graciously installed it, and things were running just fine until exactly four months later -- another failure.

So... rather than drop another couple hundred bucks on another HCU, I'm wondering if anyone can shed light on what the possible larger-picture problem might be. Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer!

-Tim

1 - 1 of 1 Posts