Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like a douche. Lined up next to each other at a stop light. We both roll the first 5 feet and I hit it first and got a ¼ car jump on him. We take it up to 70 mph and he is pulling me the entire time. By the end his rear bumper is at my front bumper. We are approaching a red light fast and I cut it and flash my lights to show him I am done. I roll up next to him to give the thumbs up, let him know I’m not going to be a dick for losing. The guy never looks over but his girlfriend does, so I turn around because I missed my road.

It looked like a stock SRT-4 but I think it had the factory horsepower upgrade. When I moved to Colorado Springs and 6000 ft I know I lost at least 35 hp from the altitude. My new intercooler helped get some back but I’m still down from my sea level performance. Still it is no excuse because his car is suffering from the same high altitude power loss.

I feel like crap, but I shot gunned a beer and it helped the pain.
It's time for a larger turbo, it's limiting my power.
Eric

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So when are you shipping it to me?

:wink:

Eric

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
ERP said:
So when are you shipping it to me?
:wink:
Eric
I gotta do some e-bay re-searchin and see what this thing is "worth." Once i do that and some fancy talking - I may just stick it on e-bay for some cash. If you are seriously interested - make me an offer - I like trades too. 8)

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
eh dont sweat it happens to the best of us, ive been having some bad moments lately myself, when i was down at deloreans house i almost lost to an old lady in a 80's ford tempo :shock: (in the notchback) and the other day i fought with a nissan titan pickup..had to back off when i was passing him :x (in my moms 9000cs auto) ...really really need to get "Stage 9" started :( .

Paul

·
Registered
363 Posts
YA, if you look on the subaru forums there is a constant joke about the SRT-4 being the fastest car evAr, so fast it can't be photographed. Came about when its #'s were posted in magazine's and the owners were dicks about chasing down WRX's and racing them........ehhh maybe not so funny.

But I have meet a few cool owners, stopped by a subaru meet actually, gave the keys to one of them to have a go around the block with his SRT.

Don't feel bad at loosing to them, they are rather fast stock, and modded very fast. I believe warenteed up to stage 3.

BUT as I always say "deep down inside they are still just a neon".......i mean they still have crank windows in the rear.

Ian

·
7,595 Posts
the altitude up there sucks. I get sick after for about a day every time I go to Colorado. Not that bad mine you, just a bad headache and queezy feeling. What it is, is a serious lack of oxygen, your body needs to do more work to get the same amount of oxygen, your car need more boost to generate the same amount of power as you would at sea level. Time to move back to PA? :lol:

·
Registered
123 Posts
ahhh don't worry about it Eric, it happens. I bet you could have taken him from a roll, those SRT-4's hook up pretty well from a dig. But if its time for a bigger turbo, its time for a bigger turbo. And you know what you could always do with your old one :wink:
-Ben

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
i dont think it was stock...ive had two encounters with these..wen i fist got my car, the 9-3 i have now, and had 2 other people in the car and i pulled up to an SRT 4 with gauges galore!! and i was like dude look at this neon...and we took off and at first he only had me by about bumper length and then the a whole car...very loud and quick.....then about 3 months ago i fallowed one onto the freeway... exhaust and BOV is all i know he had...but to show him i wanted to race i did like 3 quick jerks on the pedal and on the third one he took off...so he was about 1/2-1 car ahead...and i wasnt pulling....(i was shocked)...but he wasnt pulling either....so i didnt feel like it was a real race so i slowed down and flashd him but he just kept going....they are quick...but they are a neon....easily tuned and modded too i belive....

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
That Neon is a nasty little car. Bigger displacement than a Saab (2.4l) and slightly lighter....

230 hp STOCK, with a flat torque curve with 250 lbft available from something like 2,500 rpm to 4,500...

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
can you say 400hp and still under factory waranty? thats the fun about them. They are quick as hell...ive seen em eat modded sti's when driven right. we have an ex army guy in town who has a 600hp goal for his...already at 400 to the wheels....looks sweet too...

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Damn thats to bad Eric, ya i would say its time for a new turbo also.

I have just the thing for you how about a new Garrett GT28RS or Garrett GT3071R.

Just need to save up a little. But i'm sure after thoes upgrades you will have np taking on that SRT 4.

But i'm in the search of a new intercooler upgrade , as mine was smached from my little crash.
I was thinking about Bell or Sparco, also a little taller to fit the new front bumpers. What intercooler did you get?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Eric,

Dayum....smoked by a Neon :shock: :shock: :shock:

..., man that's something I was wondering about too. Guess that horsepower to weight ratio paid off for that Neon, but your torque and HP should have been relative to much higher numbers than his stock...if it truely was.

The Garrett is my next turbo too...after I get done with this modified turbo, that will give me a 18G characteristic. What kind of base-boost and wastegate are you running on that SQR based ECU? Maybe time for retunning.

regards

·
Administrator
254 Posts
Yeah I'm with Tweek . . . what new intercooler???

Kyle

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
DeLorean said:
the disco potato is the way to go if you got deep pockets. if you don't, the TD04 works too :wink:
delorean's got a point there eric, a nice td04 with the volvo 7cm2 turbine housing and like an 18t or 19t compressor wheel might just do the trick.

also just so happens that i have the adapter you need to hook it up to one of the exhaust manifolds from one of the early T3 9000's...wich if im thinking correctly should bolt right up to your head...pm me if you want my spare adapter :wink: .

Paul

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The altitude has had a huge effect on my boost. I have lots of lag until 3k rpm then a rush of boost. But boost also starts tapering at 4k rpm and power feels flat at the top end. This makes it tricky to find a replacement turbo. Since I have low and high end boost problems I’m worried that just slapping on a larger turbo, without new software, will cause excessive lag. I feel like my best choice is a GT28RS. I'm probably also running excessively rich with my crushed FPR. I'll be switching back to stock tomorrow.

Right now I can run the turbo without any boost control. I have the MBC line shut off and I can let the turbo boost where it wants to. Max boost is about 25 psi, but it doesn’t spike, it’s smooth. The turbo is obliviously running at it’s limit.

Here’s a picture of my new intercooler. I wasn’t going to post it for a while, but here it is. It’s a spearco. It fits great and gave me an extra 1.5 psi boost.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Nice IC Eric... That unit looks about the same size as mine, maybe a 24 x 8 x3?

Was the crushed FPR fine with your setup before the move out west, or were you running a little rich for safety at boost?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts