Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm student teaching in special ed in an inner-city school, and one of the little buggers stole my car keys. I only ever had one key to my Saab (1999 9-3), and now I seem to be royally screwed. The dealerships are telling me I need to shell out $1200 for a new TWICE system because they can't cut me a key without an original.

Because the car is old, and I really need to be able to get around the city, would it be possible to hotwire/install some sort of push button start or simple on and off switch? I really cannot afford to spend the $1200, and I really need to be able to get back and forth between home and work.

ANY CREATIVE/TRIED AND TESTED SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
What state are you in? I have seen Twice by passed but Used Twices are a little less expensive than new ones and some one in the right area might be alot cheaper than the dealer.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Did you lock the car with the FOB (keyless) or did you physically lock it with the key. If you locked it with just the key, the dealer should be able to get a new key based off the VIN. Things will probably be more expensive if you did lock it with the FOB as I have been told before they need at least one of the coded FOB's because the code is not linked to the VIN and they can't look it up.

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
Been through this before and yes you need a Twice unit, a matched key transponder and new key cut to your VIN. You are likely going to need an Independent mechanic with a TechII as the dealer likely won't work with used.

Goldwing SAAB would also likely have some, try them, they are reasonable.

1-800-SAAB137

1 - 5 of 5 Posts