Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving home from work today, 02' auto 9-3 felt fine.

went to go pick up a motorcycle after, feel a huge drop in power, and car making some weird noises.. engine seems to rev fine, but never boosts past the white line. I thought it was the trans at first, but driving on it a little more everything feels fine except that it isn't boosting, changed the diverter, and all the lines seem to be in place.

any idea's what i should look into first?

Thanks

·
Registered
811 Posts
i wouldn't jump to that conclusion...

check and make sure all your vacuum lines are hooked up...

also check your intercooler lines make sure there are no holes or one didn't just blow off...

How many miles are on your car?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
160k.. I'm 80% sure its the wastegate valve.. I know it was an issue on some cars that the pushrod would come off the arm, and you could hear a rattle in the turbo because the valve came out of place. my push rod is intact but I have all the symptoms of the issue, If my turbo were done, I dont think it would be boosting at all.. but I'm no expert

·
Registered
811 Posts
Yea but is the end still intact to the valve of the turbo? If it's not your car will run like a naturally aspirated engine because it can't build boost pressure with the gate pinned open...

Check that and worse case...

it'd probably be about an hour job for you, buttttttt maybe you should take off the intake cobra pipe of the turbo (just a few t-25 screws and clamps) and reach in to see if there is play in the shaft of the turbo...

grab the compressor wheel and try to move it up and down or in and out...

I imagine there will be some play (with it having a 180k) but if its excesive and you feel the fins of the compressor wheel have some burrs on it... you may need a new one...

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dropped the downpipe, wastgate valve and everything is intact.. but the exhaust turbine moves... alot lol.. feels like i can almost pull it out of the turbo..

so i have officially killed my first turbo :)

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Hey, it could always be worse. At least you found it before catastrophic failure, because turbos have exploded and the metal chunks were then sucked through the intake and bye bye goes the engine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.