Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I know this probably should be posted in the "problems" section, but it didn't seem very active, and I'm new here, so forgive my ignorance if I've erred.

Here's my issue:
I bought a SAAB 9000 Aero not long ago, and I've been working on getting it back on the road after sitting for months in a field. It's in relatively good shape, but I'm working the bugs out of the drivetrain as I go. I've so far replaced the turbo with a used unit (old one was grinding it's compressor wheel away due to shaft play), replaced tires, replaced brake switch (wouldn't come out of park when I bought it), and cleaned it extensively. It is now in running/driveable condition, aside from a moderate ATF leak from the torque convertor main seal (which I am ignoring at the moment for lack of a way to deal with it). The problem is, as I cruise down the highway, if I apply light throttle when climbing a hill or on the flat, after a few seconds (5-10), the boost will drop off substantially (RPMs stay the same, same gear) and I lose power, and it almost feels like the gas pedal is oozing out from under my foot. If I apply more throttle, say 75%, it will kick down into 3rd and rev up, and all my boost will come right back up into the top of the yellow, and I'll have lots of power. If I resume cruising, this will happen again, endless times. The car came with a manual boost controller (XSboost, looks cheap), and I usually have plenty of boost, so I don't know if that's an issue. All the IC piping is tight, no leaks, all vacuum hoses are good.... I'm not sure what else to do. Any help on where to start looking would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Check the plugs and make sure the DIC connects to them with dielectric grease.

If that doesn't help, you might have a hose with a hairline split in one of the accordion folds that will only show up under boost. Those are a PITA to find. If you can borrow a smoke machine, that can help find the culprit...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply, Mike.

The plugs are brand new NGK BCP7RES... had to special order. I don't have any dielectric grease, but I did gap them to the recommended 1.0mm.

Thanks for the tip, I will check the intake hose again.

I am also having a problem with the car smoking after it idles for a bit, then you rev it up. Here in CA, that will cause a car to fail a smog test. Thus, I have already purchased the parts necessary to begin a TD04 conversion with a new turbocharger (the used one I installed is leaking oil from the housing and down the downpipe, causing lots of smoke). Hopefully with the new turbo, some issues will be discovered that will solve my loss of boost problem.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
remember, this is a TCS car

When you sight that the gas pedal is "oozing out" does that mean its pushing back harder? if so then maybe a TCS check valve is to blame,

also check you vacume line routing, if thing are going to the wrong place than the car will act funny. There is a diagram printed under your hood. Check the routing and replace all vac lines, Its not worth the 5$ in parts to keep chasing after this one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, I'm still learning about the TCS... never had to deal with traction control before.

What I mean is it feels as if the pedal is slowly dropping out from under my foot. Similar to when you have cruise on in a standard car, and it applies throttle for you. Also, on that note, I have noticed that the cruise control fails to function properly when this problem occurs. I can turn it on, and set it, and it seems to work for ~15 seconds, or whenever I reach an incline, and then it will apply throttle, and then lose boost and behave as I've described until the cruise just gives up and turns itself off.

I have confirmed that all the vacuum lines are routed correctly, and pressure tested them all with an air compressor at ~50psi. I found no leaks. I will look into replacing them regardless, as I understand it's cheap to do so.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming

·
Registered
381 Posts
Do a search for 9000 TCS here and elsewhere; short version is as above change hoses, clean electrical contacts and confirm check valve and 2 safety valves are working fine, re-ser with battery, finally get (ISAT 1993 is model) Tech 2 to pull codes, see where you are at.

Good luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, thanks for the help guys. I will see if I can find anything useful in my Haynes manual (ISBN 1859607640). I will look into changing the hoses, but I'm not sure which electrical contacts to be concerned about. I have replaced the check valve, but what/where are the safety valves? I have tried unplugging the battery and leaving it off for a while, then plugging it back in and driving it; that doesn't solve anything. There are no SAAB shops near me as far as I know... I will do some digging online and see if I can find anyone with a TECH2 scanner. There is no CEL on, the TCS light stays off unless I floor it from a dead stop and get small amounts of wheelspin. Is there any easy way that I could recalibrate the TCS?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
The only way to recalibrate the tcs system is with the tech two

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay.

If anyone has any leads on where to find somebody with a Tech2 in the Northern CA area who may be able to help me out, please let me know. I would be very grateful.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts