Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
he all, i found this picture, added some cool green lines, and i want to know how to do what it's pointing at, to my tailights

~justin

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Easy as cake. Just get some spray tint. I think its called VSH Spray tint. Just spray on a couple good coats, and viola!!!

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Yeah I had mine tinted for awhile. Got too many complaints about how impossible it is to see when I brake. Take a look at what I had, I loved it!

This is a really old pic though, before a lot of mods :)

But the stuff is called VHT Nite Shades. I bought mine from www.summitracing.com seen here http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=VHT-SP999

Hope that helps. $11.99 a bottle is a bit expensive though :(

I still left my third brake light below the spoiler tinted. It looks pretty good.

And in case you are wondering how to remove the stuff, make sure you do it before 3 months after you spray it on cause the stuff bakes right in to the lights. I used Lacquer Thinner and scrubbed...

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Did you tint your center taillight panel as well, or did yours come black?

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
hey rcmdesign!
I think if you had just given the entire lights a thinner coat of the tint it woulda looked sweet. It just was too thick on the one part. Maybe 1/2 as much next time? When i get a new pair of tails (cause someone broke my left....) I may consider giving them a smoked look.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
My car didn't come with the rear accent panel seen on many 900's. So it was just a black panel with the center emblem. I was thinking about applying less of a coat of the tint again sometime, but I came to love the red look on the tailights of the Saab. It accents the black car so much...

But of course you gotta love this look:

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how do you do it though, do you have to take the lenses out of the car to do it? or just leave them on?

how many coats should i use?

should i remove the emblem from the center strip in the middle of the back, or leave it and have a light tint over it, which would look better? is this legal?

~justin

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah, deffinately, but should i spray the stuff over the saab emblem?

~justin

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I took the lenses off the back of the car to do it. Cause if you don't, the spray will run and ruin the whole project. So take them off. Actually for the 3rd brake light I just taped around it and sprayed, and ended up getting some overspray on the paint. But when I got it detailed again they took care of the overspray. I bought two cans of the spray, and I used a whole can and some of the second for the project. I was tempted to leave a light coat on it when I was doing it cause it looked sweet blending in with the red. But now I love the red :)

Don't spray over the emblem, that's Saab heritage!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Man….. love going on line and seeing pictures I took all over the place…
Does this mean I popular? Or take way to many pictures? :roll:
Anyway the tinted taillights on that 9-3 was done with “Night Shades” which is made by VHT, I bought the paint at the Saab gathering at Carlise last spring because there was a vender there selling it dirt cheap $3.99 a can vs. $8 or $9 that it sells for from places like Summit Racing.
Real easy to do just remember to clean the taillights with soap and water…. Then scuff and then clean again with a prep solvent.

*for the record…. That’s a typical weekend at my house… I think I know to many “Saab People”
:wink:

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Lol thats hilarious. Im think about doing that as well, but so far it only looks best on black cars. I was planning ond tinting it as much as the black car with the meshed kit, and keeping the white turn sigs like Rob did.

Oh and btw. That mesh on that kit is NOWAY rice. It actually makes it look complete. Of course a black mesh could've worked as well, but an unmeshed kit with large air vents such as that one looks horrible.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
well... that whole bumper is kinda outta control, i didn't mean to just rid the mesh, meant rid that cover :p There hasta be another one like that that doesn't hang down so much with all that open crap there.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Thats called style man.... ;) :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah, the bumber would look better without that mesh, but with something else in it's place, maybe the same color mesh, maybe exhaust, don't know.

i think i'd do the spray with just one can, so that way it isn't too dark and illegal. i think i'll cover over the whole tailight assembly so that way it doesn't look to odd.

rhich, are you the same rhich on saabcentral that kicked me out of the chat for making the choo-choo noise too many times??

~justin

·
Administrator
668 Posts
i think the lights look better stock... but a friend did a really good job on his tinting them... and they look nice
once you get them done lets see some pics.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Rhich said:
How many Rhich's do you know ?
Heh...i guess thats a yes. :lol:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts