Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of reducing the 9-3 stable by one but picking up a used newer generation 9-3 or 9-5 instead with 100k-130kish miles. Looking to spend up to 5k. I need a car that can fit a baby seat in the back and not squish me as i drive and the 99-02 9-3's just don't cut it. Don't know much about them in terms of good/bad years, etc.. School me

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have a 2001 Saab 9-5 Estate/Wagon...its has been with me for 7 years, two babies, lots of trips to Home Depot, taking the dog on trips, throwing the bikes in the back...I love it ! Very reliable and I have nothing bad to say about it... it now has 160K miles...If I were in your shoes, I would go 2003+ Saab 9-5 Wagon with the updated engine (sludge fixes) and I would stay clear of Aeros (they are driven harder most of the time)...later you can add a suspension, a tune and wheels...same car.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Baby seat screams 9-5. Ample room, great ride. 5k should be sufficient to get yourself a decent one. Wagons are a tad harder to come up with, but in your case I'd recommend looking for one. Baby, seat, and all required accessories fit in with plenty of room left over. A used 9-5 can be hit or miss. Look for one with a history, ie. a glove box full of records, owned by an enthusiast or at lest someone with a clue. The ones that have not been maintained can hurt.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
There's always a few on CL - just look around. This is a potentially nice one - could get it for less than asking price I'm sure. Not sure if it's auto or manual - does not say.
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/1780849465.html

Look all over CL - you will find a nice one eventually under $5,000

I bought our 2001 with 8K on a new motor and turbo with a blown HG for about 2200 (car had 86,000 on it)

Deals are out there...

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I have a 2001 Saab 9-5 Estate/Wagon...its has been with me for 7 years, two babies, lots of trips to Home Depot, taking the dog on trips, throwing the bikes in the back...I love it ! Very reliable and I have nothing bad to say about it... it now has 160K miles...If I were in your shoes, I would go 2004+ Saab 9-5 Wagon with the updated engine (sludge fixes) and I would stay clear of Aeros (they are driven harder most of the time)...later you can add a suspension, a tune and wheels...same car.
FIxed PCV was fixed by 04 not 03

ANd the aeros required Full SYN so the motors are generally better kept up the turbos are sturdier so don't be afriad, most are not driven "hard" msot were owned from new by peo\ple with money then get sold for cheap to kids who might drive em hard)

·
Registered
406 Posts
Why would an Aero require synthetic and not a Liner or Arc ? Its the exact same engine...nothing different other than the Turbo...and I would never automatically assume someone used synthetic because the manual told them too...

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
i have one for sale.... rebuilt engine, rebuilt turbo, rk11 bilstiens... elbiach springs in real decent shape, no rust, has 135k 5 speed... its not an areo but does have the td04 on it... pm me and you can call me to talk about it if you would like

·
Banned
3,445 Posts
Definitely the 9-5. My kid is rear-facing in a convertible seat (one of the big honkin' couches with straps) and my 6' tall husband can sit in front of him with plenty of space to stretch out.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i have one for sale.... rebuilt engine, rebuilt turbo, rk11 bilstiens... elbiach springs in real decent shape, no rust, has 135k 5 speed... its not an areo but does have the td04 on it... pm me and you can call me to talk about it if you would like
sounds nice except i need an auto

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Why would an Aero require synthetic and not a Liner or Arc ? Its the exact same engine...nothing different other than the Turbo...and I would never automatically assume someone used synthetic because the manual told them too...
Dunno why thye made different oil requirements, maybe the high output turbo? but I can say that more non-aero have had sludge, go figure.

Of course many people may not have used Sythetic but most new owners of 40K cars do what they are told, 50 extra for a change does not add a whole lot. So most probably over 50K miles maybe not.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Having bought 3 9-5's in the past 4 months I can say that if your just looking for a daily driver and family car, the maitenance needed for them is minimal. I've made it a habit to change all the fluids when I come into new ownership of a 9-5 and run Mobil 1 full syn. I also take the time to drop the oil pan and install a new pickup screen. This also conveniently allows me to do the wiggle test on the turbocharger and lets me get a feel for the health of the engine.
Helps alot if you've got a lift to drop the oil pan.

As was stated earlier there are definetly some deals on craigslist.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
6 is mostly bullet-proof It has its onl peculiar issues ( and has timing belt that needs to be repalces evey 60 k or badness will FU the engine. make sure you knowwhenit was changed last.

Also they have 2 sets fo DI @X expensive and teh oil coller sits int e valley of coolant in-between the v of the 6, and they tend to go and you get oil in the coolant ( not a major problem tho.)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts