Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everbody, looking into buying a new/used daily driver since my 11 sec Eagle Talon is to much with a 7 month old little boy. A 95' Saab n/a caught my eye when I was looking and did some research and found out they came turbo. But I only seem to find between years 94-98 most turbo 4 dr saab's are auto's. I really want a 5 spd but time is the factor. How are the auto tranny's in these cars? I plan on doing basic mods to the car in the future (exhasut, reprogrammed ecu, fmic, t28) just enough to move a little faster. Any hell would be greatly appriciated!

drew

·
10,303 Posts
Tecknically we have a front mount already :wink: You at least want the viggen intercooler.

Check PA, and CT if your not afraid to travel you can find some awesome deals. Keep your eyes out. 96 and up are obd 2 but the 94s and 95s have weaker front suspensions, that NEED upgrading, since replacement parts don't exist.

·
7,595 Posts
I would stay away from the NG-900's myself :wink: BUT if you must get one do like tweeks said- 94-95 is the year you want. OBD 2 uses a dual oxygen sensor set up and is ultimately not going to be as easy to mod as a pre 96 will. turbo / 5 speed is the best combination in any saab. Now if you want a really fast one, the C-900 is what you want! I would recommend anything from 88-93 in a turbo / 5 speed combination. easy to mod and fairly reliable to boot. you can get almost 200 wheel HP for about $85 worth of mods- and that's not too shabby.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Ok what your looking at is a 280HP Automatic with a Stage 2 ro 3 ecu and hte mods you mentioned. If you stay pre 99 you will be better off as the 98 and older have the T5 engine management system and allow some basic mods like MBC's, Intakes, Catless downpipes etc.... . THe ECU programming is cheaper for the T5($595) than it is for the T7 ($1000)as well.

http://www.maptun.com/900_185_4.php?link=900_3

http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/...d=217&osCsid=2c331b8a3ffd6b0e778e27dde5f4e6db

This is about where you would want to stay at the most on the Automatic. You can find alot of NG900's with sticks if you look on EBay and things like that. Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I really want a 5 spd so I'll continue to look for one. I'll keep you guys poested.
I knew they already had a fmic but it can use an upgraded fmic.

about the 2nd o2 sensor you can always run a "O2 sensor simulator" I had to use this on many cars I work on like the Evo some 2nd gen dsm's etc. Here is a link for you to check it out http://www.o2sensorsimulator.com/index.html

·
10,303 Posts
I would be all over it.

I have looked for simulators, but didn't find any. But it wouldn't matter in my 95's case.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not worried about the headlight being damaged or minor damages. Just looking for 4cyl turbo 5spd. and 4 doors. Can't continue driving my 7 month old boy in my other car. Mileage isn't a big factor either. I'll just take the motor out and rebuild it.
There is no way I can go with a N/A sorry "rcmdesign"
all I own is turbo cars. I even bought my wife a turbo vehicle. 03' VW Jetta GLS. Thing moves a little with the 1.8t. just got the basic K/N replacement filter with the air box hacked up. I think I'm going to go and look at the Saab tomorrow since it's local.

·
7,595 Posts
rcmdesign said:
:lol: Hey my engine will last longer than any turbo models :D
doubtful... your 2.3 liter engines internal balance shafts will make your timing chain last about 1/2 as long as mine will ;) ever see my 99 turbos odometer?

there is no danger of a 2.3 saab engine running for that long :lol:

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Welcome aboard Drew,
I looked at the car and would have to say go for it. Good price for a good car. The damage is minor and you can order a new lens, nice thing about the NG's is the glass lenses come off the light housing.

This should get ya started
-Headlight Lens, part # 5289004-
http://www.thesaabsite.com/900new/NG900lights.htm
-there's one place to look-

Hope to see ya on a run sometime.

ever see my 99 turbos odometer?
505,811miles Very nice DeLorean.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Hey Drew,

Nice to have you!!

·
Registered
392 Posts
drew where are you located at in new jersey? I am from edison (middlesex county) - i say go for that saab, if i had the money right now i sure as hell would, its the same exact thing as my car only turbo :cry: :cry: :cry: only if it were a coupe id really have to consider hopping on it before you...anyways if youre near me and you pick up the saab let me know, i might be in the same area

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So DeLorean your in the Philadelphia area? I'm right over the border in NJ. I'm about 15-20 mins from the city. Thanks for all the "welcome aboards" members. Good to know I have plenty things in common with you guys and gals.

·
7,595 Posts
yep, I'm just north of the city. We have a LOT of members in the area and we have get togethers now and then, if you get a Saab you should come to a few :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well just got back from the caddy dealership that the Saab was at. I was 2 hrs to late, it sold. The car wasn't on ebay no longer then 24 hrs. Maybe next time?
I'll continue my search

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Good Luck, Drew
Keep Checking in though, let us know how ya make out on your search.
Happy Hunting

1 - 20 of 20 Posts