1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Greek Mod
4,294,967,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
And in case the eBay listing is expired (since that is bound to happen) the size you are referring to is:

27x6x3.5

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
yes, but the ETS is significantly larger.

You should be looking for an IC that's 8 inches tall to fully use the space.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Sorry searching would probably get me the answer to this question but I'm going to bed soon. Are people fitting ebay intercoolers that are 8" tall without oil cooler fitment issues? I thought Watkins said if he went bigger/lowered the ebay fmic he got to fill in the bumper better, he would have to relocate the oil cooler.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Sorry searching would probably get me the answer to this question but I'm going to bed soon. Are people fitting ebay intercoolers that are 8" tall without oil cooler fitment issues? I thought Watkins said if he went bigger/lowered the ebay fmic he got to fill in the bumper better, he would have to relocate the oil cooler.
8 inches is the max height without having to bend the oil cooler hard lines.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Now would you guys suggest getting one with a 2.25" inlet/outlet or 2.5"? I figure the stock intercooler pipes are probably closer to 2.25" so why go bigger if you have to use a reducer right at the outlet to get to the compressor.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
just to clarify... these will bolt up to my 02 9-3 SE as easily as the ETS sold by GS would?
The ETS IC that I came up with, the one Nick now sells too was designed to be the largest plug and play ic, it bolts up and plugs right into stock cross flow ic hoses. The universal ones will require all the planning and piping and couplers and clamps.

Not the same really,

John

·
Registered
3,153 Posts

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Now would you guys suggest getting one with a 2.25" inlet/outlet or 2.5"? I figure the stock intercooler pipes are probably closer to 2.25" so why go bigger if you have to use a reducer right at the outlet to get to the compressor.
Stock piping size will help velocity and flow and spool-up, go bigger and you will sacrifice a little bit and if you go any larger than 2.5", you lose a good bit more. Many have kept the ic pipe size stock to the 450bhp range with good results,

John

·
Registered
581 Posts
If you are going to do it, put at least a 22"x8" high by 3" or even 3.5" deep core. That is the largest one that will fit without notching the crash bar. If the core is longer than 22.5", it will need to have some clearancing of the crash bar of the bumper done,

John
it matters how you mount it. i just bought a 28x8x3.5 fmic from cxracing same as comtag. but im going to mount it under the crash bar so no mods to it. im going to run 2.5" piping with a 2.5" to 2" 90deg reducer off the turbo. i am waiting to install but it will fill the bumper opening.
also it will be futher away from rad and oil cooler so i hope it will run even cooler
some great info and pics with fmic topic http://www.saablink.net/forum/performance-modifications-ng900-old-9-3/38461-5.htm

·
Registered
210 Posts
The ETS IC that I came up with, the one Nick now sells too was designed to be the largest plug and play ic, it bolts up and plugs right into stock cross flow ic hoses. The universal ones will require all the planning and piping and couplers and clamps.

Not the same really,

John
Thank you for pointing that out. I called you the other day to ask about your pricing. I'm not ready to do it right now, but it's there in the future for sure. And when I do it, I want to do it right.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Thank you for pointing that out. I called you the other day to ask about your pricing. I'm not ready to do it right now, but it's there in the future for sure. And when I do it, I want to do it right.
you probally hung the phone up when he said the price

·
Registered
587 Posts
I went with 2.25 since it was what I found. However, 2.25" piping kits are damn near impossible to find. 2.5" is about as common as shitbox Hondas in the ghetto.

Factory tubes are 2". Kinda. The very end actually flairs out to about 2.25" as the IC has a larger diameter inlet and outlet. I didnt know this until I bought the stuff and pulled it apart. Had I known, I would have bought 2.25" elbows and tube rather than the 2.25"-2" reducing elbows and 2" aluminum couplers I did buy. I just shoved the couplers further into the factory hoses and used a T bolt clamp as well as the built-in clamp for good measure. No problems thus-far even after beating the snot out of it in the mountains of West Virginia.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
you probally hung the phone up when he said the price
This has been debated many times. If you get a decent core with a decent amount of fins per sq inch, decent size and then you actually buy the decent couplers and t-bolt clamps that will hold without failing, unlike the cheap ebay stuff that everyone tries first and then has to buy all new stuff later, then the piping to run it up and around, the price is not all that big of deal, it came out to be about 100 bucks cheaper and then you have to plan it all out, fabricate all the pipes, cut them and clean them and make it all fit, well that is why I did not go the cheap ic route and hooked up with JR at Extremeturbosystems and we came up with the largest best flowing ic that you can fit and have it be plug and play where you pull off your viggen ic and plug in the ETS IC and it bolts right up, uses stock hoses and clamps and gives just about the best performance you can get without removing the ac. Nick makes 700whp with it!!!

With the ETS, you know you are getting a good core, they are not all created equal, pressure tested, hand brazed and with good flow and fin design with 15 fins per sq inch and they are offset for better efficieny, ic cores with minimal fins per sq" may flow ok, but they will not have the efficiency of a multi-fin core. It does matter and it can be measured easily.

When its hot outside, the ets is just large enough for a stg 3-4 and it still loses power, any ic that is smaller will become heat soaked even faster, its a matter of simple physics. Its not really possible to go too big on our Saabs with the space available.

It all depends on what you want and you have to think of flow and efficiency. The stock viggen ic flowed fine at stg 3 level, but would be heat soaked after one second gear pull on my car. If I wound it to 6500rpm in second, it was heat soaked, when I shifted to third, it would make full boost just for a second and then fall back.

With the 3" core we tried at ETS the first time, it was better, I could wind out second and third and maybe half of fourth, it was heat soaked, intake air temps too high above ambient.

Then the full 24" long core and 8" high and 3.5" deep core was the best, I could wind out second, third, fourth and fith without heat soak at 87F.

You can think of it that way, bigger gives you more power for a longer period of time, does not really help you make much more power.

So, if you only do a pull every now and then, the viggen is ok, you get on it for a couple of gears here and there and like to wind it out a good bit, the 3" core will do a nice job.

If you like to beat the crap out of the car and wind through all the gears and make mulitple pulls and really push it, you need the largest IC you can get to fit on the little Saab frontal area.

My 52 cents,

John

1 - 17 of 17 Posts