Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay i found the SPG for sale...have a looksee and tell me what you think...
i plan on bringing the price down A LOT

im going to look at it next week...

it will be my car that i use to get to work and for an extra family car..iguess those are just my excuse

>> 1985 SPG

·
7,595 Posts
looks very nice. If it's in really good shape, it's worth about asking price but by all means, try and get it for less. The 85 was the 1st year on the SPG, and probably asside from 90/91 models, the most rare at this point. the 85's are not known for holding up well to the elements, so be sure not to drive it much if at all in the snow and ice. find out what kind of new tranny they used (the 89-93 trannys are a little better). expected lifetime for a properly rebuilt one..... expect about 100,000-175,000 miles. should be fast enough for you with the tweaked APC.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks D i appreciate that!

it doesnt snow..but i am for shure going to ask about the tranny!

if i get real serious i am going to bring it to Dan at sweedish auto to take a gander at it and all its flaws...if any

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
make sure you really look over the wire harness too - on the pre-87's they liked to use the bio-degrateable wireing harness trash - so look for that, or signs of break down. make sure you check the floor pans - get under that car with a bright light and tap around, any signs of rust - you will HAFTA repair, which means price drop for you. Check frame rails too - and the e-brake prolly doesn't work. If you get that - I have a set of working Vented calipers from an 87 which would make a nice upgrade for that car - but i'd suggest a rebuild kit for em to make good use of em. Looks like a good find tho - best of luck!

·
7,595 Posts
yep, very true. FYI, the 85 may have an OK harness. I think it was 86 when they first started doing that crap.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
okay i saw it today!! and man does this thing have history!!

it was the first SPG off the line given to his dad who worked for the president of saab over in sweeden at the time...and they shiped it over to the US and today was acually the cars birth day...no problems with it at all...ummm even has the original sweedish plates...needs a new front seat and thats about it...but i dont know if im gunna be able to get it...i have no room for it......

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts