Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a '00 5-Speed wagon on CL. I'm going to be looking at it on Saturday. Its got 170K on it.

I've got no knowledge/experience with 9-5's, I've only ever had 9000's (that ran). What should I watch out for/ask about/inspect when I go see this car?

TIA

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
ah-ha! (Keep the 9000 as back-up, you will need it) lol

That's a bit of mileage! Look for repair history - this is always key.

Headlights are plastic - assemblies replace as whole for big $$ new or even used often. If they aren't shot - often if you put the time into them you can buff them back up to decent.

2005MY has a different PCV system - but again, they tend to fail with age and heat - so check for rotten/broken HARD plastic lines. They are a bit of a PITA to change, and also not cheap cheap, but reasonable.

Engine Mount - Passenger side; If you can't easily slip your pinky between the mount base and the "washer" if needs one typically.

Look under the car - depending where it has spent it's life, they are starting to rust out pretty bad in random spots. i.e.; Where the front uni-body rails run beneath the front of the car, the body plugs around them, trunk pans, fuel doors - hatches...

Air box problems can always be scarry and expensive if there is something broken... press the "auto" and the "off" together to check for codes in the ACC - list here of what they mean: http://www.saab9-5.com/faq_acc.htm

Sid or ACC pixels missing - always leverage to get the price knocked down as these parts cost a lot new (use BBA Reman to get them fixed)

Make sure the AC blows cold from ALL vents (rear too) same with the Heat

Power seats - if they move, but buck as it moves it needs a memory switch (same as 9000)

1998-2001 9-5
Glass Headlights - best IMHO - have replaceable lens which are under $80 each or $135 about for a set of "ecode" lens from GenuineSaab.com for improved light output

*2002- 9-5
HID's vs Halogen =
HID brighter (lens condition depending) have more components for the leveling system (left front lower control arm and right rear lower control arm) which can go bad or break. Bulbs cost $60 each from Eeuro
Halogen decent lighting output, (lens condition given) bulbs are a fraction the cost, no leveling system to go bad.

Tires/Brakes - How are the rear tires wearing? If they are really cupped it may need rear control arm bushings (not a walk in the park to change)

Oil Leaks? - depends where from

Fog lights - it has the projector style which are "brighter" and cost more to replace I believe if broken.

Any body trim - should have "Aero" trim more then likely - most did in 2005 I think.

All lights work? - Check the rear lighing operation, harness failures do happen in them. (more so the sedans)

Rear hatch shocks - they go bad often, not too cheap, and a PITA to change. OEM is best - aftermarkets make noise and are too hard to operate.

There is plenty more I am forgetting - but that's a good start.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's MY2000. I will likely take a Saab tech with me if the list is that long. this car's kind of a long shot. It's about $2000 and the seller claims it needs nothing at 170K. I know better than that..

·
Registered
406 Posts
I would not sell my Wagon for 2K and there is nothing wrong with it at 157K miles...it sucks that about 1% of the population actually takes care of their cars...of course those cars are usually listed on Ebay for idiotic amounts of money...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts