Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, after aquiring my 9-3 couple years ago being new to SAAB i fell in love, ive become attracted to the c900's, ive been looking for a decent one for a year now, and yesterday i came across this : http://appleton.craigslist.org/cto/2011413308.html. Its cheap, its an SPG, its got me interested.:cool: I called the guy about it, he said it has rust around the wheel fenders otherwise body is in nice shape (untill i look under the car), needs a lil TLC to the interior, has new parts on it like radiator, waterpump, some other things i cant remember off the top of my head. Runs and drives just fine he said. He's been working on it for a while now and he's grown tired of it and wants his garage space back. Before i look at it, i would like some advice of what to look for/be aware of, so i have some general knowledge going into the deal. I know its not perfect, and it would be my project car. I just dont want to buy it, bring it home and realize i just brought home the biggest pile of shit. :(

Thanks!

Edit: He said it needs either a battery or alternator.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Even if it has only rust on the wheel arches, it's no small task to take care of it properly. I'm fighting that on my '86 SPG currently. I can say that my SPG has no rust anywhere other than the fender arches, surprising as that may seem but I think that's far from the usual situation. I've had to pull the entire rear quarter panels along with the front fenders from a rust free parts car and probably have 20 hours into properly salvaging those parts already. I still have a lot of cutting and grinding to do to get them down to the seams, then I'll have the same work to do, though opposite side of seams, on the SPG's shell along with aligning and welding the replacements to the shell. I may be optimistic in thinking I may finish the body up in around 100 hours of work. If the car had rust into the structural parts of the shell, it would be even more work.

A rust free SPG can probably be had on the left coast for double to triple that $800 asking price and you'd get to go on a road trip instead of grinding metal.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I say it's worth going to look at. It may be a bit of a project, but hey thats all the fun! It'll make you appreciate it more when all's said and done. I would definately try and get it for cheaper than the 800. If you like the car, and it's structurally sound underneath...buy it. I'm fixing rust on my car now and yes it sucks, but what the hell it's an 88 and its the most fun thing I've ever driven. Use your best judgement man.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Avoid rust and really give a regular 900 Turbo alot of consideration. An SPG and a 900 Turbo are not all that different apart from the body kit and some suspension pieces. You can realistically buy the body kit for $250 and have it on in a day. As far as suspension, lowering springs are cheap and they can be put on too.

Overall, I would advise that you not only look for SPG's. A well sorted 900 Turbo with no, or limited rust, is MUCH better than an SPG ready for the graveyard. Take the advice from somebody who's learned the hard way in the past. Pay more upfront because you RARELY get something for nothing. If you find something cheap, chances are you're going to be investing some major dollars into it. When it comes to c900's and SPG, this is almost a certainty.

Good luck and keep on searching!

·
c900 Grognard
3,713 Posts
Avoid rust and really give a regular 900 Turbo alot of consideration. An SPG and a 900 Turbo are not all that different apart from the body kit and some suspension pieces. You can realistically buy the body kit for $250 and have it on in a day. As far as suspension, lowering springs are cheap and they can be put on too.

Overall, I would advise that you not only look for SPG's. A well sorted 900 Turbo with no, or limited rust, is MUCH better than an SPG ready for the graveyard. Take the advice from somebody who's learned the hard way in the past. Pay more upfront because you RARELY get something for nothing. If you find something cheap, chances are you're going to be investing some major dollars into it. When it comes to c900's and SPG, this is almost a certainty.

Good luck and keep on searching!
Agreed 100%.

Also, one thing someone once pointed out to me, is that a lot of the nicest cars still around are convertibles, because they were typically babied more by their owners for whatever reason. Of course, personally I think the 3 door is far and out the best looking c900, but it's worth thinking about.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I would go and look at it, size it up for yourself, keeping in mind some of the advice above. Don't NOT go see it on the basis of what everybody says. See for yourself. Not all projects are the same. You may decide it's too much of a project, or it may be just right.

There's lots to learn in looking at it for yourself. Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts