Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, with twins (2 1/2 years old now), they see Daddy driving off in either of the classics and are starting to get interested in riding in "D's Vrah!" (Don't ask me were "D" came from, and Vrah is what they call all cars....)

With the obvious exception of the lack of the LATCH anchors required in modern cars, anyone carseat their kids in classics? Especially a Convertible? (I still have reservations doing so except maybe for a ride around the neighborhood)

Just wondering. For now they're in the 9-5 and 9-7x Aeros.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, jeezus, now you're just aging me! I grew up in the back of a '61 Chevy convertible, a '66 Olds, and later a '69 Chevy wagon. All of them bought new... :-0

Anyhoo..

I guess the reason I ask is two fold: Car seats now are HUGE compared to what, say, my 20 and 23 year old niece and nephew -- the twins' cousins -- grew up in. Fit might be an issue especially in the narrower back seat of the 'vert. Not to mention that in the 9-5 they're kicking the back of my seat, I can only imagine what it might be like in the classics.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
oh ya I didnt think about the car seats...whenever I think of one I can only see the death-trap one I had.....they were wicked small and didnt do a whole lot..

·
Registered
661 Posts
One reason I sold my 1985 900 Sport back in 1991 was because of the difficulty of getting my daughter's carseat into & out of the back of the car. A challenge with a two-door. Kept hitting the back of my head (I'm 6'3").:-?

My 900 Sport's electrical and other mechanical gremlins were driving me crazy. I probably would have put up with the headaches had I the means to keep the car reliable.

But at some point a mechanic spotted signs that the car had previously been in a major accident. The car also had a block heater, which you don't normally see here on the wet coast, so I suspect it was shipped from somewhere in eastern Canada and dumped into the BC market. And along I came...I wondered whether it was safe.

I did create a latch for the carseat, I believe in the cargo area, though I don't remember exactly how I did it. Not sure how that issue might be solved in your vert.

Just be sure to have a good shopvac! You'll need it for the 10,000 cheerios you'll find under the seats...:p

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, give the fact that both my classics have gone through a ground-up restoration, you can be assured they're pretty reliable. But reliability wasn't the point. That's why we have the 9-7X and 9-5 Aero's as the daily family haulers.

No, the c900's are purely recreational, and I was thinking of taking the kids and cars to car shows, the occasional trip the the icecream shop, tec. I was asking from the perspective of actually having the car seats fit -- two, ya know. I have twins. Carseats are now HUGE.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Why not just put them in your lap? Thats safe right?

Today while driving back to school, I saw a family in a mid 80s/90s buick or olds vert with their kids jumping around in the back. Probably not strapped in, top down.

I wanted to yell at the retard.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
My kids loved the back of my vert for short trips. (Things like going to an orchard in the Fall.) It's way too windy back there if you'll be doing any highway driving--even with the windows up. You'll look in the rear-view and see their hair whipping and them grimmacing or slouching down to escape the torrent.

BTW, my kids called mine "daddy's borts car". I was actually thinking of getting BORTSCAR on my plate at one point. My oldest (he's 20 now) never minded riding in the back seat with the top down as a kid--ever. Even on long trips. He thoroughly enjoyed the experience, which is probably why he spent his summer-job earnings on his own vert.

And of course my youngest couldn't wait to drive it--chicks dig a guy in a vert.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The wind is/was a concern. I thought it could get pretty brutal out there. I drove top down last week from 50 miles west of DC to the north suburb (Cockeysville) Baltimore. Doable in the front seat with the windows up and wearing a baseball cap. I'd never subject the kids to that maelstrom though.

And again, this would be local drives when I take the kids.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts