Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Oh thats thing's a monster. Its pretty much no longer a Saab with the new frame, new engine, new transmission and new differential. Maybe it still looks like a Saab in the interior :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
i think they should have gone turbo route. Im not saying i wouldnt drive it but a smaller engine with a turbo would be my choice.....maybe they got regulations though...but its just that saabs are all turbo now

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
murphwiz said:
WS said:
but its just that saabs are all turbo now
Not anymore..
the 9-3ss in europe is available with a non turbo engine, and of course the 9-2x 2.5
*cough* the 9-2X doesn't really count - it isn't really a Saab - just a rebadged Sub. with nicer interior, and a nicer smile and a slightly more aggressive feel ;) Other then that - it's NOT a Saab. Pfft... 2.5L ha! ;) :lol:

·
Registered
39 Posts
What do you class as a SAAB?

9000 cross bred with the Fiat group?
99/C900 with the triumph engine?
96 with it's ford engine?
the 92 perhaps, with its DKW engine?

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
murphwiz said:
What do you class as a SAAB?

9000 cross bred with the Fiat group?
99/C900 with the triumph engine?
96 with it's ford engine?
the 92 perhaps, with its DKW engine?
shush!! lol atleast they had SAAB bodies! all saab engineered suspension and frame - it was only the engines that they were sharing then, and they were "Saabified" after that... now it's everything shared for "cost"!

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you were to remove the outer skin of a 9000 and one of the Fiat versions, you'd be hard presed to tell them apart!
The Fiat even had same doors, and things like ACC panel were shared.

no-one on this type of board is likely to buy a 9-2x, it's not the market saab is trying to appeal, they want the new blood, ones that previously wouldn't have even considered a saab, I hope it's a success, or we'll all be mourning the passing of SAAB in a few years... :roll:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
murphwiz said:
If you were to remove the outer skin of a 9000 and one of the Fiat versions, you'd be hard presed to tell them apart!
The Fiat even had same doors, and things like ACC panel were shared.

no-one on this type of board is likely to buy a 9-2x, it's not the market saab is trying to appeal, they want the new blood, ones that previously wouldn't have even considered a saab, I hope it's a success, or we'll all be mourning the passing of SAAB in a few years... :roll:
I think that is Saab's direction. A thread on SC once asked all new 9-3SS owners if this was their first Saab. It was about 98% the case. Saab wants the money, it doesn't really care where it comes from. Basically it wasn't getting enough from the traditional Saab buyer, and that's why it was going down the gurgler.

·
Registered
251 Posts
europeans with their expensive gasoline dont want the turbos.....so thats a bunch of crap......and the 9-2x is just sorta gay.....i mean i can see how saab used other manufactures engines but not the bodies.....and the boxer engine in the wrx is a piece of crap in my mind. it sounds horrible, and its got no damn torque. yea you can tune them pretty easily but i would rather them become partners with Mitsubishi and slap a saab badge on an evo. That still wouldnt be wanted by most saab owners including me probably because of the rediculous wing. (i like the wing but not on a saab). So the best plan would have the evo engine in a totally redesigned saab body on the evo frame cause the evo frame is unbelievable. I have driven my friends.....its a go kart that does 0-60 in 4.9 seconds......and i can fit in the back easier than in my 5 door 9-3....and im 6'3"

·
Administrator
302 Posts
We europeans do like turbos ;) SAAB only has 1 model with no turbo!
SAAB offers these alternatives in Sweden today:

9-3SS
1.8i - 122hp (my God, that will be slow, this is the only model without Turbo)
1.8t - 150hp
2.0t - 175hp
2.0t - 210hp (Aero)
2.2TiD - 125hp

9-5
2.0t - 150hp
2.3t - 185hp
2.3T - 220hp
2.3T - 250hp (Aero)
2.3T - 305hp (Hirsch)
2.2TiD - 120hp
3.0 V6 TiD - 176hp

So, 1 out of 12 different engines is not much heh!
Actually, Turbo cars are marketed with their low fuel consumption!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts