Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey there guys so my turbo on my 99 9-3 T5 linear is finally blown after 155,xxx miles. and so my search for a new turbo begins. So I have a few questions. maybe someone can answer.

first what turbo is on my car now i can see its the Garrett so I assume its the T25. so does that mean its the T25 flange on my exhaust mani? will all T25's bolt right up. IE; the sr20dett turbo's or other variations of the T25.

Second everyone talks about the easiest upgrade being the td04hl-15t.
So does that mean any DSM turbo I have laying around will bolt up?
I am not so worried about drain lines water lines and all that. those are easy enough to fabricate. what I am worried about is what flange i have and what kinda of space i ave to work with.

being that the td04hl is the easiest upgrade is the td04hl off the volvo t5 series the same flange? If so will it work on our cars?

M problem is that where I live Saab's are not that easy to come by and Volvo's are extremely easy to find.

oh and only stuff I have on my car now is a turbosmart MBC, tial BOV, EBAY intercooler and piping, and a boost gauge.

any and all info would be great!! thanks

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Hey there guys so my turbo on my 99 9-3 T5 linear is finally blown after 155,xxx miles. and so my search for a new turbo begins. So I have a few questions. maybe someone can answer.

first what turbo is on my car now i can see its the Garrett so I assume its the T25. so does that mean its the T25 flange on my exhaust mani? will all T25's bolt right up. IE; the sr20dett turbo's or other variations of the T25.

Second everyone talks about the easiest upgrade being the td04hl-15t.
So does that mean any DSM turbo I have laying around will bolt up?
I am not so worried about drain lines water lines and all that. those are easy enough to fabricate. what I am worried about is what flange i have and what kinda of space i ave to work with.

being that the td04hl is the easiest upgrade is the td04hl off the volvo t5 series the same flange? If so will it work on our cars?

M problem is that where I live Saab's are not that easy to come by and Volvo's are extremely easy to find.

oh and only stuff I have on my car now is a turbosmart MBC, tial BOV, EBAY intercooler and piping, and a boost gauge.

any and all info would be great!! thanks
Hi Joe.

T25's and TD04's that are not from Saab will not bolt up. If you're looking to upgrade to a TD04, it would have to be from a 9-3 Viggen or (I think) 00-02 9-3 SE, or a 9000 Aero. If you can get your hands on one of those and if you want to make the upgrade worth more than just 20-30 horsepower, get your T25 rebuilt and upgraded to a T28 compressor side. Or, find a TD04 from preferably a 9000 Aero and get it gutted and fitted with a 19T wheel.

Don't know how much power you're looking to get but you really want to have fun, swing for the upgraded turbo's. Regardless of which turbo you decide to replace it with, unless it's stock, you'll need to be tuned anyways and if you're gonna pay for that then you might as well pay a little more and live with second gear burnouts.

·
Registered
151 Posts
You'll be able to bolt up a turbo from an SR20DETT to the exhaust mani, but the down pipe won't bolt right up. You will need to fabricate a dp to make it work. You can fit any Garrett GT series with a T25 style inlet flange up to the GT30 without any spacers. Basically the GT2876Rs is the biggest you can do, internally waste gated - unless you want to spring for a new exhaust manifold and then might as well go bigger.

Volvo turbos won't fit, different flange.

·
Registered
103 Posts
sources for turbo rebuilds

Blouch Turbo does rebuilds and compressor upgrades for a reasonable price.
All they do is rebuild turbos, and I have heard very good things about them.

Just remember if you do a compressor upgrade you'll need to do a tune also to get the proper air/fuel and timing flow.

·
Registered
109 Posts
So question if any upgrade is done to the turbo i will have to do a retune right? Which sucks because i dont know of any shops around here that are good with turbos. (Traverse City Mi) I know nothing of turbos besides what i have learned from here and a little bit from online research. I have been an N/A guy my whole life till now, I have built a couple of mild performance sbc so i understand motors.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Blouch Turbo does rebuilds and compressor upgrades for a reasonable price.
All they do is rebuild turbos, and I have heard very good things about them.

Just remember if you do a compressor upgrade you'll need to do a tune also to get the proper air/fuel and timing flow.
Yes Blouch does, but Chadwicks prices are better and has proven through people one this site that he is very good to work with.

Support the Saab community and do the upgrade through him. No one has had an issue.

Also, if you go the TD04 route the Viggen/9-5 Aero/'00-02 SE turbos can only go to 18t due to the exhaust side, only the 9k aero can go 19t.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Chadwick

Contacted Chadwick about doing my hybrid TD04HL-19T 6cm with 9-5 cobra intake housing....was very surprised to find that they don't clip.

At least on my car, if I don't clip the turbo ~10 degrees, the bottom end is going to be dead.

Anybody running a non-clipped TD04HL-19T on a B205 with stock internals?
If so does the bottom end suck?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.