Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering a couple angles of how I should go about replacing my NG900. One of those angles is selling the 9k, and taking the insurance money and putting them toward a down payment on an '04-05 9-5 Aero, or 2.8 9-3 Aero. Which, of course, begs the question of what my '96 9k Aero is actually worth.

240k, 5 speed, imola red over black, no mechanical issues to report.

Cosmetically, the hood has some nasty paint chips, the front valence appears to be rattlecanned and has a small crack on the drivers side, polished lip Aero wheels could use refinishing, paint on the spoiler is cooked, drivers seat is showing a little wear, as is the carpet. Needs a head unit (one in it works, but cuts out from time to time and only wakes up when you beat the shit out of it with something... so it has some, um, wear marks and the LCD is toast), and the cabin temp sensor or whatever it is makes some noise. Locals can attest that this car looks damn good for its age. Tiny bit of rust starting at each rear wheel arch, hasn't seen a winter since my dad bought it in 2008. I bought it from him this spring. The usual assortment of door dings is there, and there is a dent in the lower part of the right rear door. Could probably disappear with PDR, but I don't know.

Car has a T5Suite Stage 1 tune. Drives great, plenty of power, no real squeaks or rattles, no suspension noises or anything. Has been absolutely drop dead reliable for me, I put 15k miles on it between March and November and didn't have to replace anything other than the upstream O2 sensor (had a CEL when I bought it).

Pics... (As previously stated, the car will come with old polished lip Aero wheels, NOT Super Aeros)

What say you, experts? I'm kinda thinking $2500 or so, but I've been plenty wrong about this kinda thing before :lol:

PS, I'm not selling it yet... just a path I'm considering. I'm also considering taking the insurance, getting another cheap beater, some goodies for this, and some photo gear, or getting something RWD and rocking this for the winter/daily.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Nice looking car!
Value? dunno.. a few weeks back, in my area Pacific Northwest, there was a 96 Aero, Green, Original owner from new, less than 160k miles, asking $2600.
Never got sold.
Sadly our toys have limited appeal, I;'m gonna keep mine till it dies:rolleyes: "New" saabs, while certainly attractive are still not reliable and erm ..cheapened significantly.. if ..one looks in the hidden corners. Sad actually.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
1. Yeah, there doesn't seem to be much of a market for our cars anymore unless they're stupid cheap.
2. You will regret it big time if you ditch the Aero. Everyone I know that has sold theirs ends up buying another one within 5 years (usually less), and by that time it'll be even harder to find one in decent condition. Save yourself the trouble and pain of kicking yourself in the head for selling it. Just go on craigslist, pick up a crappy beater and pocket the change.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Dont sell the 9000 Aero hold on to it . Youll regret it. I bought a 800cc mini van for round town and to save kms on the Aero.Suprising fun too got to really work it with 40 hp! and you sure appreciate the saab when you hop back in!

·
Registered
645 Posts
i sold one with similar miles, 3" exhaust, clean interior, cleanish paint. few mech issues(brakes needed service) for 1800$.

i feel that it was a good deal for both partys involved in the sale.. any more and i think i would have been ripping the person off. any less and i feel i would have been ripped off..

if i had done the brakes i think it would have been a good deal @ 23-2500$$, gotta remember that the mileage scares alot of potential non enthusiast buyers, and the enthusiast WILL talk you down lol, so aim a little high on forums and such(be prepared to get a lowball of 3-500$ lol) and price it around your lowest on craigslist etc.so the average buyer will come down to see if its worth your "low" asking price.. glwts!

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, the more I think about it the more I don't want to make payments. A cheap beater and a stage 3 9k Aero, and some other goods, sounds much more appealing :D

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Getting rid of a 9000 which is reliable and getting a newer Saab is simply stupid. My 9000's are twice the car our 9-5 can ever be and the Sport Sedans are nothing on the 9000 IMHO.

What's it worth - much more then you will ever get sadly.

Keep the 9000 - get another newer Saab - and drive the 9000 when the newer one breaks down :)

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I think your 9k Aero is definitely worth $2500. I sold a 1995 Silver 5spd with circa 200k for $3500-3800 about 1.5 years ago. That had no fender or exterior rust, but no mods either. I think yours should fetch the $2500 figure, but only from a Saab enthusiast.

Also, I agree with others in that you might regret selling. I "regret" selling mine in that I miss the comfort, acceleration, and drive, but at the same time, we all have to move on some time or another. Decisions like these are all about life situations. Where are you at and what are your priorities? Most are unfortunately not in the situation to maintain multiple cars, driving one in the winter, another in the summer. If you plan to keep the car forever, that's one thing, but if you know that you'll be selling at one time or another, it's always interesting to ask yourself "what are the advantages of selling now?"

If you analyze this question and find that there are good reasons to liquidate your saab collection and make the switch to a newer car, I say to go for it. On the other hand, if the reasons are just childish in nature, meaning they'll wear off quickly after a purchase, keep the 9k in the stable. Good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts