Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need one for a friend she is going to school and wants one to get around... and not take her mostly rust free 87 900t 3 dr 5 spd

so what's the deal some need plates others not, engine sizes, speed ( hiway or not drivable?

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Someone died on a vespa 2 weeks ago up the street from my house.

I've seen some kids wipe out on one.

But thats my $0.02. Hirsch is right. Look up the local laws.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts

·
User
9,193 Posts
Honda Ruckus.

Such a blast to drive, anyone with a drivers license can run it, and there are a ton of mods out there for em. Plus, they get like 123mpg.

·
User
9,193 Posts
Parking for scooters at bicycle racks on college campus is a very nice perk.
Yep... having been in Boston several times in the past month, Harvard's campus was loaded with Ruckus' at the bike racks.

Plus, Ruckus' are a great way to get a feel for a bike without killing yourself. Very easy to ride them and you can go just about anywhere on them.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Ruckus or Zuma or go home.
The man speaks the truth.

A little schoolin for you. If you do your homework, and talk to someone who has bought one of those Chinese pieces of shit for $1,200, they are the cats ass for about 2000 miles, then all hell breaks loose on them. Literally. A friend of mine bought one, rode the PISS out of it, got 100+mpg religiously, then at around 3000 miles, stuff REALLY started going south. It wasn't until it did, that he realized why it was such a heap. Simple stuff like.......using bushings instead of bearings. When the bushing went, it egg-shaped the housing where the bushing was, making stuff like the swingarm and frame virtually trash. He is a very talented fabricator with access to gnarly tooling, so he welded stuff up, machined it down, added bearings, added grease fittings, changed over poor quality sprocket / chains etc.

Basically, they absolutely are a "you get what you pay for" item. Buy a *********** scooter, ride the shit out of and sell it to some dumbass before things go tits-up, or buy a reputable ride like a Ruckus, Vespa, even a Puch (pronounced POOK) and own it for a long time.

Generally, 50cc and under = moped, which means no motorcycle license. 50cc+ means scooter, and that means you need a motorcycle endorsement. Hence why mopeds are 49cc.

·
User
9,193 Posts
The man speaks the truth.

A little schoolin for you. If you do your homework, and talk to someone who has bought one of those Chinese pieces of shit for $1,200, they are the cats ass for about 2000 miles, then all hell breaks loose on them. Literally. A friend of mine bought one, rode the PISS out of it, got 100+mpg religiously, then at around 3000 miles, stuff REALLY started going south. It wasn't until it did, that he realized why it was such a heap. Simple stuff like.......using bushings instead of bearings. When the bushing went, it egg-shaped the housing where the bushing was, making stuff like the swingarm and frame virtually trash. He is a very talented fabricator with access to gnarly tooling, so he welded stuff up, machined it down, added bearings, added grease fittings, changed over poor quality sprocket / chains etc.

Basically, they absolutely are a "you get what you pay for" item. Buy a *********** scooter, ride the shit out of and sell it to some dumbass before things go tits-up, or buy a reputable ride like a Ruckus, Vespa, even a Puch (pronounced POOK) and own it for a long time.

Generally, 50cc and under = moped, which means no motorcycle license. 50cc+ means scooter, and that means you need a motorcycle endorsement. Hence why mopeds are 49cc.
Yep, and you can swap all sorts of motors into the Ruckus as well :). Plus they're only like 2k new. You can finance one and pay less per month than you would for a cell phone. Or you could just buy one on craigslist for like 1,000 - 1,800.

·
User
9,193 Posts
So the Honda Rukus - what's the stock top speed on one of these? I could see replacing my Geo Metro with one of these if it can do 50MPH....
My friends have been to 50... it takes a while to get there stock, but it's possible.

The next trick shoud be what i did, which is the manual(wheelie)...you place one foot just in front of the brake, then one hovering over the brake, get speed then lift up, if you feek like your falling back hit the brake..or even try doing a 180..you just have to get speed bunny hop a little high and then as you bunny hop turn your whole body in the air(preferably as soon as you leave the ground) and so on and so forth!! hope this helped :)
WTF?

·
7,595 Posts
Down a solid hill with a large tail wind.... a 50cc might do 50 mph if you tuck. In reality, you are not going to break 30-35 under most conditions. In order to not get run over you need a 125 or better. My Nighthawlk 250 which is a "real" motorcycle only does about 75 MPH on flat ground, 60ish up hill.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Down a solid hill with a large tail wind.... a 50cc might do 50 mph if you tuck. In reality, you are not going to break 30-35 under most conditions. In order to not get run over you need a 125 or better. My Nighthawlk 250 which is a "real" motorcycle only does about 75 MPH on flat ground, 60ish up hill.
Thought you had a GOLDWING - what the hell is the Nighthawk? When are you going get a license anyways - or a permit at the least for the Honda? I ought to buy it from you and fix it - I can actually get a license for a motorcyle in PA :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts