Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time to move on down the list of goodies to install. What is the largest size FMIC that can fit in the stock location without removing the AC components. I am looking for 9000thomas to chime in here because ive seen a pictures of his, and it looks great, but dont know the size. What I am going todo is buy the GS cold side piping and have custom pipes made for the rest. The real questions are what size intercooler do I need, what core size I can use, and what modifications to the car will I need todo to make it fit.

Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
12,348 Posts
I can tell you that the ETS/G9 one that I've got barely fits with the AC in there. Initial problems I had were the blades on the AC fan rubbing on the shroud (from being moved forward slightly) and even tighter space under the hood (rad fan/inlet pipe/ic pipe). Also a little trimming was necessary on the hoses to get the GS ic pipe to fit.

I measured the core of the ic when I got it, but I don't remember what it is off the top of my head.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
im looking forward to answers as a nice ic would be next for me, after some susp stuff... the ets/g9 is in the stock location, no?

·
Registered
12,348 Posts
Yes, the ETS ic fits in the stock location....barely.

Functionally, it works quite well...especially with larger piping + stage 4, etc

·
Registered
474 Posts
In the stock position the Maptun, ETS and Speedparts models are all same frontal area but approx 50mm thick. (pretty sure ETS is 50mm but not 100%) Stock is 32mm, maybe a little less so you have about a 50%+ increase in cooling 'volume'

Without ditching the air con:

You could definitely fit in a custom 60mm as I could see the space when I fitted my 50mm core BUT you need to be very careful on the mounting pin position. Ditching the rubbers on the raditor bottom pins can move it back about 5mm. Same on the I/C can move it forward 5mm.

If you have time and energy I bet you could fit a big fat 70mm core and carefully get the offset correct. Limiting factor ends up being the length of the aircon hoses and patience - has to be a total custom I/C build too.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
revive the thread. I took a look under the car a couple weeks ago and kind of thought how I can fit a large FMIC into the car. Has anyone taken the condenser and swapped spots with the stock intercooler position? That way the FMIC will actually be a FMIC and might be able to fit a rather large one. I am looking at a 32x12x3 FMIC.. will she fit?

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
revive the thread. I took a look under the car a couple weeks ago and kind of thought how I can fit a large FMIC into the car. Has anyone taken the condenser and swapped spots with the stock intercooler position? That way the FMIC will actually be a FMIC and might be able to fit a rather large one. I am looking at a 32x12x3 FMIC.. will she fit?
That's what I was thinking could be done, but it might take some massaging to get everything in there...espcially the AC fan.

If I were to do it again to a car that I planned to keep the AC on I would have probably gone with a thinner, smaller intercooler. I didn't mind deleting the AC on my car because I have been trying to get a cheap, suitable daily driver other than the aero for the last year.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I was thinking about fitting a thinner fan in between there to free up more room. I'm wondering if anyone had done this before. It looks like it should work with some custom work.

·
Registered
12,348 Posts
saabkid had one way out front under the bumper.

The problem moving the a/c condenser back is where do you put the fan?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts