Saab Link Forums banner

What should I spend my money on?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wanted to get some input from the community on what my next investment should be for my 99 9-3.

Should I buy...

a koni kit?

or

a V2 downpipe and tuned ECU?

A bit of background, I have all the parts I need for a stage 4 tune minus the DP and ECU. As for the suspension I have new control arms with ploy bushings, a 22mm rear GS ARB, a GS steering rack clamp & brace, 308mm front brakes and 300mm rears with goodridge stainless lines. The car has 98K miles on it and is in good shape mechanically.

Here are my thoughts on each option;

The Koni kit - Pros: Better handling, 1.5in drop, I really would like one, the suspension is stock and pretty worn
Cons: Added cost due to extra parts; New mounts, bearings, tie rod ends, etc. and the need for an alignment. Also a more difficult install and increased tire rubbing issues.

V2 Dp & Tuned ECU - Pros: STAGE 4!!!, potentially lower cost, easier install.
Cons: Current clutch might not last long with increased power, lower fuel economy.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Hmmmmm that's quite a tough choice.. I'd say get the koni kit for now and. Wait on the DP and tune as you probably will be needing a new clutch soon(especially at stage 4)... Might as well get a new clutch as well... I have the V2 and everything for stage 3 but am running an mbc+a for now as I don't want to change clutch or tranny by running stage 3.. I myself am debating whether to get the koni kit(need a drop bad)

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Koni Kit. Your suspension is worn out more than your exhaust from the sounds of it and the increased performance from exhaust is going to cost $375 more for the clutch and viggen PP + labor if you aren't replacing it.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
+1 for the konis. Build the car for the higher hp; not the other way around

·
Registered
859 Posts
at 98k miles and poly bushings with the upgraded rear sway bar id say go for stage 4. Chances are in everyday driving you not gonna be doing any advanced handling and i dont think your taking this car to a track. Personally i have to much shit in my car sliding around to be doing high speed turns. I feel like the opportunity to do fast straight line pulls will be more frequent than high speed handling.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
While I believe having a well sorted chassis is crucial to how a car handles extra power, I think that a downpipe and tune are not going to make the car get bent out of shape past how it already handles the power you have currently.

In my opinion, the most important things to have in place before going to those power levels are:

-Steering rack clamp/brace
-ARB
-Upgraded brakes (pads, fluid)

This way, the steering wheel will not get yanked away from your hands, you have more predictable handling, and you can stop all that additional power.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
power is nothing w/o control.... get the koni's

My viggens suspension was floating/bouncing at 4yrs old back in 04 when I purchased the car (41K miles). I replaced the springs/shocks at about 80K (due to money reasons) & it was completely shot. I couldn't imagine driving my stg 4 viggen around with stock suspension which is why I added ECU & turbo after the suspension was sorted out.

do the koni's

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
I voted booze and women....

Koni kit is replacing worn components and isn't going to break anything...

Stage 4 is just going to lead to more problems and more $$$

I have learned that it is very nice to be able to walk out to my car every day and have it be fully functional..... Not worrying about BPC failure, and clutch slippage, Gearbox failure, torque steer, ECT

·
Registered
161 Posts
i would go with koni kit, so that when you do get around to having full stage 4 you have the stiff suspension along with your existing mods to handle the power. also you get he better handling and feel of the car.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts