Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I am very new but I am having some trouble with my 96 Saab 9000 CS 2.3.
I recently did an oil change and changed my spark plugs.
I used AC Delco 9's with the rapid fire because that's what was in there and I couldn't find NGK's locally. Also used straight synthetic oil.
After doing my plugs I noticed a knocking in my engine, not in idle but when I accelerate it gets pretty loud. When removing my ignition coil I did notice it had seen better days, the rubber wasn't too bad but some parts of the plastic was melted and worn. A small piece even fell off. So I carefully put it back on.
Do you think a misfire in the sparkplugs would cause such noise or should I be considering the lifters as the culprit?
My car ran very smooth and very well up until this and now it seems to be struggling not to mention the noise.
I appreciate any help, Thank you!

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
most likely your engine is pinging/knocking

with 99% probability this is due to running a shit not recommended plug. the Di is designed around NGK resistor plugs. you can destroy a motor with the wrong plug.

dont drive it until you get a set of NGK BCPR7es-11's.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Congratulations:
Not only do you get tpo buy New NGK's You Also get to buy a New DI Cassete. ($425 @ Eeuroparts.com) Yours is ruined and running on will power alone, likely from running the wrong plugs.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I will find the service bulletin from SAAB that says they are backwards compatible....

We don't even stock red ones, no one out here with an NG or a 9000 would pay me $400 for it anyway.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Sooooo.... sorry to thread jack, but the attached are the bulletins I found, but conflict.

There is a TSB from 2004 specifically saying not to mix and match, but the technical description of the cassette cryptically reads:

Note

Cars with T7 LEV must be fitted with the TK 3.4 D ignition discharge module only (from MY00) but the new module may be fitted on older models.
.....whether 'Older models' is referring to MY99 9-5's or farther back than that I can't find anything conclusive right now, and I'm tired, and it was hot today, so I am gonna go have a beer.

I will say that I have red cassettes on all my T5 cars, but I do have countless customers with black cassettes on T5 cars that do not have any issues. These are almost exclusively unmodified cars, but he has been doing it since loooong before I started working here, and has convinced himself from firsthand observation that they work fine.

Not sure what to think anymore. Will look some more tomorrow to see if there was a subsequent TSB issued about this or not.

Drew

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
If the wrong plugs are in for too much run time it can burn up the coils in the cassette, and when you go put the new plugs in it will still run poorly or not start.

Drew

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
new cassette

I scored a "new" cassette on ebay for $60, so I am just crossing my fingers and staying positive that my car will be running in a few days after I get both the plugs and the coil.
Learned a valuable lesson through all this...shitty plugs suck!

·
10,303 Posts
I scored a "new" cassette on ebay for $60, so I am just crossing my fingers and staying positive that my car will be running in a few days after I get both the plugs and the coil.
Learned a valuable lesson through all this...shitty plugs suck!
Ahh, a new one from ebay. If you believe that I have an unedited copy of Operation Dark Heart that wasn't burned by the pentagon yet I would like to sell you.

When you get your plugs, take out the ones you put in the car and measure them side by side. I read that ounce somebody was "told by the guy at the parts store" they were the same and ended up being so long the pistons were hitting the electrodes.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Yes, that would be the NGK PLFR6H's instead of the PFR6H's.

That 'L' for *length* can make.... quite a difference.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update Not Good

Ok so Iinstalled the new plugs and cassette and still have knocking, It seems to like a rolled RRR sound or BRRR...I really have no idea what is wrong. I think I'm at the point where I need to bring it in to a shop, which is ridiculously scary because it seems like no one around here wants to work on a Saab unless you have a ton of money to put into it.
It makes the noise when I step on the accelerator. Doesn't really do it while in idle.
Any ideas would be helpful.
Thanks

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Possibly a timing chain.

A video would help.

But from what it sounds like, this is not something a novice DIY'er would want to tackle.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.