1 - 20 of 368 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for 8000 it hurt i lost 2000.

I am buying an s2000 its final.
All i need is your help 1 last time.

pick and choose in between these s2000's. Yes i know grammar sucks on the ads.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/1611608465.html
OR
This.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/1600045987.html

Both are same price 9000 dollars firm.
One is newer, but if i buy the newer one i will spend a fortune making it what i want. If i buy the older one i would just put some wheels on and call it a day.

Your opinions matter to me all of them, even negativety. =]

·
User
9,193 Posts
Yep.... choice A. It already has decent mods done to it, has less mileage and is 1000.00 cheaper. The only thing negative about it is that it is 3 years older.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They both cost the same zach.
I negotiated them down to 9000 firm.
Choice B is a lot further from me.

The guy who is selling the one with mods says they are worth 8000.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I too like choice A, however the part where he mentions that it was a babied racing car raises flags to me. I am tempted to call bs on the fact that it has never been raced.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Choice A seems better at first hand, but I'd inspect it thoroughly. Make sure that "foot long dent" can be taken out with paintless dent repair and make sure the rest of the car isn't unreasonably worn.

Also, that mod list is nice, but I'm betting that car has seen a good beating. Such doesn't mean that the car isn't a good option, because it possibly is, but you have to look it over really good. Think about it from the perspective of a person buying mods...There's a reason the guy did all those mods and that reason probably wasn't because he wanted to drive it every other weekend and let it sit in his garage. Put it on a lift and look it over front to back, top to bottom. If it checks out, then snatch it up. If not, walk away and keep on looking. Don't let a lack of patience, HW, test drives, and rationale make you regret buying another car. You've already been in that boat.

·
User
9,193 Posts
Honda's take the beating much better than other cars. I would guess that almost any S2000 out there has had a fairly rough life due to their owners. I read in a C&D mag that 04+ S2k's are more refined and have some better features, but the main thing to look for is bad synchro's in the tranny.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Another thing you have to consider is how crazy do you want to go with modding the car?

If the answer is "I'm going to mod this thing until it doesn't resemble the original car in anyway whatsoever" then choice A will get close to the car and save you money in the process.

If the answer is "I just want to throw struts, springs, and other limited stuff on it" then choice B might be a better platform as it's stock, newer, etc

The seller for choice B seems a little sketchy though. Anytime I read "come with cash in hand for a test drive," I think "this seller must be an asshole...forget about this one."

·
Registered
67 Posts
Have you perhaps considered something along the lines of a BMW m3 Roadster?

I don't think I would spring for either one, and I didn't see any other ones worth considering on CL. I say, either wait for something better or look at other cars.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
First three are all salvaged titles... Other two are pretty high mileage.
What kind of s2000 or performance car do you expect 8k to buy? lol

I'm not sure what viggenluca thinks, but I personally could not care less if a car is salvaged if it was rebuilt in the correct manner. At 8k, you have to consider everything and get the most value.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
So in the ad for choice A it stays it has "racing gears". Has the currently owner elaborated at all about that?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I checked out the first one, the guy has no idea what he has, corbeau racing seats, alpine mp3 player with ipod hookup, amplifier, the craziest air intake ive ever seen its 3-4feet long from engine into the front grill or fender, tein coilovers, some sticky bridgestone tires maybe potenza s-02? apexi timer, full exhaust, gears,some aftermarket alarm, hid's and some other stuff. the dent is huge, and front bumper has scratches. i would rather buy a car with all these mods that needs 300 dollars of body work, over a stock car that i would need to put 3000 dollars of mods into.

being that the 1st one is mechanically sound.

1 - 20 of 368 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.